10,000 Steps A Day?

10,000 Steps a Day is the latest mantra to maintaining a healthy lifestyle and reducing high blood pressure and glucose levels.  There are many articles on the web that promote this campaign.  Google it.  In her article, The Truth About 10,000 Steps (Live Science, March 2014), Rachel Rettner points out that there isn’t any scientific research that pinpoints 10,000 steps as being the mark for obtaining a healthy life.  Experts agree that any amount of increased activity helps to reduce the health risks associated with a sedentary lifestyle.  She points out that 10,000 Steps  is merely a marketing campaign for the sales of pedometers and activity tracking devices.  So, is that deceitful marketing?  If you benefit from it, I don’t think so.

Walk on Wednesdays

Stepping out on Wednesdays at Stony Brook.

As a diabetic, I know I need to add exercise to my daily routine.  I have a sedentary job that causes me (out of my passion) to work, at times, beyond 7 or 8 hours a day and some weekends.  I plan daily exercise time, but things come up and there’s always tomorrow.  Tomorrow turns into weeks and weeks into months.  I get determined and start a routine, but it doesn’t last.

I recently purchased a Fitbit activity tracking device with a web monitoring system for steps, activity, sleep, water and food intake, and weight.  I invited my friends with Fitbits to join in on the website so we can encourage one another. Fitbit awards badges for fitness and healthy lifestyle achievements. We created a stepping and activity community.  My stepping goal is 10,000 steps.  I check my steps throughout the day.  Yesterday, I saw that I was at a mere 3,000 steps.  I pushed away from my desk and walked up 5 flights of stairs in the Melville Library.  I walked the 4th and 5th floors, saying hello to my colleagues in the hall.  After 15 minutes, I returned to my desk and worked.  I added 2,000 steps and logged high activity moments.  YAY!  My glucose levels have come in around 90.  Double YAY!

The success goes beyond tracking steps and activity.  It’s gamification.  Gamification is the use of design elements characteristic for games in non-game contexts…making routine challenging and fun.   You set a goal and establish rules (fun and flexible), take on a problem solving mindset with the challenge, allow for positive feedback (community), and go for the epic win (reward…results).  Badges of Achievement are proven motivators for reaching set goals.  Include them.  Think gamification, again, Google it.

I also joined in with my two daughters and their friends in a private Facebook group, Clean Eating and Hard Training.  We trade healthy recipes, post “sweaty selfies” of ourselves after a workout, and cheer each other on.  I post my Fitbit numbers.  My daughters always comment on how proud they are of me and I’m proud of them.  We give each other Shoutouts and badges of achievement…gamification.

I’ve long advocated with faculty to gamify their learning activities in the classroom to enhance student engagement.  I’m putting my money where my mouth is and gamifying my goals for achieving a healthy lifestyle.  Is 10,000 Steps a marketing ploy for companies selling their tracking devices?  I truly don’t care as long as it helps me gamify my fitness activities and achieve my healty lifestyle goals.  I want results and I’m getting them.  I’d like to know your thoughts on 10,000 Steps and gamifying your fitness routines.  Share your positive steps to a healthy lifestyle. Post a reply.

64 thoughts on “10,000 Steps A Day?

1. tdiemer

How do you track your steps? Do you have a fitbit? I have an app on my phone that I use but I don’t always have it with me so it does work as well.

1. Nancy.Wozniak@stonybrook.edu Post author

Theresa,

I know what you mean about the trackers on the cellphones. I have Running Pro and Couch to 5K apps on mine; but, you’re correct, I don’t always have my phone with me. What do you think about gamifying walking and other fitness activities? I do believe Achievement Badges work. Walk on Wednesday is a form pf gamification, don’t you think? The program does create community (feedback). My Fitbit helps me set goals and won’t let me forget them. I was surprise when I checked it at work, I got up and walked the stairs at Melville. Kept thinking, “I don’t believe I’m doing this”. There are others out there, also. The key is, what ever goals you set, gamify.

2. Davin Runolfsson

This is smart to impart your online journals to us in light of the fact that your Article assists us with advancing such countless things through your websites. I’m additionally needed to compose blog mercifully guide me assuming that my theme is stainless steel gas pizza oven then what would it be a good idea for me I really do first and how might I make new and one of a kind substance on this subject.

3. Thomas Preston

Howdy! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the good data you have right here on this post.

4. Jeff Smith

Thanks for such a pleasant post. This post loaded with lots of useful information. Keep it up. If you are looking for the best information and suggestions related to Beans supplier then visit us.

5. Bobby

Thank you for letting me know. Finally, they started talking about it. Hooray! I have been telling this to my acquaintances and friends for a long time that this figure does not mean anything, you can walk 7 thousand steps and still remain healthy and lead a healthy lifestyle. CBD near me This is just a beautiful, conditional figure. But sometimes my perfectionism demands some pretty number after walking.

6. GSLP Trading

We, spline shaft suppliers , and power transmission shaft are highly trained and educated engineers and specialists who work carefully to aid in creating anything from industry-standard components to highly intricate and specialized custom profiles as partners in cooperative development with each client.

7. bitcoincasino

From some point on, I am preparing to build my site while browsing various sites. It is now somewhat completed. If you are interested, please come to play with bitcoincasino !!

8. casinositeone.JDS

Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thank you Also visit my site: Feel free to visit my website; https://www.casinosite.one/

9. Wojter0

So do you mind if..you guys go out tonight? It would be nice because tomorrow is sucha long day…” After being asked whether she wants to watch SNL without her family watching TV when they arrive home after working late while sitting outside playing video games until 10 PM, Jessica said emphaticall
    Kfz Gutachter Karlsruhe

10. Daniel Oxtav

It’s really nice and meaningful. It’s really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing. you have really helped lots of people who visit this blog and provide them useful information. Thanks for sharing, let’s Visit us

11. jaeseu

Efficiently written information. It will be profitable to anybody who utilizes it, counting me.
    Keep up the good work. For certain I will review out more posts day in and day out.
    Visit this and have fun !

제이나인 토토 꽁 머니
    제이나인 먹튀 검증 업체
    제이나인 온라인 카지노 게임
    제이나인 스포츠 토토 일정
    제이나인 토토 라이브 스코어
    https://www.j9korea.com

12. Kurt widderick

The 10,000 steps campaign is a great way to get started on your day-to-day healthy routines! Taking just 10,000 steps each day can make a big impact on your overall health and well-being. Electrician Redlands

13. Lynton Electrical

The Stony Brook University Healthier U campaign is focused on making healthy choices easier for students. They’ve created a 10,000 step plan that can help people of all ages become more physically active. To get started, please comment on this blog post to share your tips for taking the 10000 steps a day! Switchboard Upgrades Sydney

14. Martin Mitchall

Do you want to live a longer, healthier life? Check out Stony Brook’s 10000 Steps A Day program! This easy-to-follow guide will help you get started on a daily routine that will help you stay on track and avoid common health problems. electrician wangara

15. Edward.M Meganfox

A warning triangle is a small red triangle with a highly reflecting surface that is typically constructed of plastic and metal is called warning triangles folding suppliers.

16. John Michael

When choosing a Diet Supplement Supplier, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, you should make sure that the supplier is reputable. You can do this by checking their website for reviews, or by asking your friends or family for recommendations. Second, you should make sure that the supplier offers the supplements that you’re interested in. Third, you should compare prices from different suppliers to find the best deal.

17. John Michael

Yagoofashion is a wholesaler of printed Shopping bag wholesaler that offers a wide range of high-quality bags. The company’s bags are handcrafted with care and come in a variety of patterns, cartoons, designs, and graphics that give them a distinctive and fashionable look. Yagoofashion’s bags are also sustainable and environmentally friendly, unlike plastic bags. These bags make it easy to carry large items while doing your grocery shopping.

18. Liza

I’ve been aiming for 10,000 steps a day as part of my fitness routine, and it’s been a game-changer! Not only does it help me stay active, but it also boosts my mood and energy levels. Plus, it’s a great excuse to show off my Best TTC x Nike Jacket. It’s all about finding a balance between daily goals and comfortable activewear, and this combo works wonders for me. Who else here swears by their 10,000 steps a day?

19. minyak amerika

the best and most trusted cellphone today. The features are almost the same as the desktop version. jp players can use this game to slot amerika fulfill entertainment or life needs

20. baccaratcommunity

As I am looking at your writing, baccaratcommunity I regret being unable to do outdoor activities due to Corona 19, and I miss my old daily life. If you also miss the daily life of those days, would you please visit my site once? My site is a site where I post about photos and daily life when I was free.

21. liza memozi

Play scribble io if you enjoy drawing and guessing! In each round, one player is chosen to draw something, and the remaining players must guess what it is.