SANS SEC503 (GCIA) Review

Ouch. My head hurts.

I am tempted to end my review right there, but this class is just too awesome. I would not be doing it justice.

This past May I attended SEC503, Intrusion Detection In-depth, virtually. It was v-live format; Essentially a live stream of the course at SANS Houston. As far as the format is concerned, I liked it more than on-demand, but not as much as being there in the flesh. You don’t get to network as well and obviously you miss out on Netwars and SANS @ Night, but the core part of the experience is kept intact. I had the ability to interact with the class via chat, which was definitely useful. If I typed in a question, the moderator would inform the instructor, in this case Johannes Ullrich. He would than respond verbally, which was a great way to interact with the instructor remotely. This was important to me because one of the primary reasons I prefer SANS courses over many others is the caliber of their instructors. Dr. Ullrich is truly an expert in the field and for those that don’t already, I would highly recommend subscribing to his daily ISC Stormcast. If you don’t know, now you know (yes, that was a 90’s hip hop reference)! I digress.

The course lived up to the hype. It has a reputation for being one of the most challenging SANS courses. And I would have to say that of the courses I’ve taken, there is truth to that. I will qualify that by saying I do not have a strong background in this area. I had a high level understanding of packet analysis solely from SEC401, but otherwise this was uncharted territory for me. I am comfortable with IDS concepts overall and oversee a managed implementation of such, but my hands-on experience is limited. This course filled in all the gaps. I was able to work with snort quite a bit, and some other great solutions such as Bro, SiLK and Security Onion. I learned very quickly that aside from basic functionality, Bro requires basic programming capability to support, hence the limited adoption. I also learned more about IP, TCP, UDP, and IPv6 that I ever cared to know about. But more importantly, I have a crystal clear understanding of what is normal and what is not when looking at a series of packets. It also provided plenty of flight time with tcpdump and Wireshark.

wireshark screenshot

Wireshark screenshot

I used the full 4 months to prepare for this exam after taking the course. Partially due to external time contention (being appointed interim CISO shortly after I took the course) and partially because this material was outside of my comfort zone…not my cup of tea as “they” say. I still managed to score a 95 on the exam. I’m not sharing that to brag. I wanted to reassure my blog readers that if you are inclined to take this course, you can be successful, even if you’re not already a packet ninja. If you want to be one, this is a good place to start. I would like to set your expectation, though. Even after taking this course, I would not consider myself a black belt. Brown belt at best!

Do I recommend this course…absolutely. Keep the Advil handy, though!

65 thoughts on “SANS SEC503 (GCIA) Review

1. I am really impressed with your blog article, such great & useful information you mentioned here.
    I have read all your posts and all are very informative.
    Thanks for sharing and keep it up like this.
    I have a small business. Please, anyone, give a review of my site.
    https://alldiscounts.ng/

2. Penso che gli orologi replica siano una buona scelta per coloro che vogliono risparmiare denaro e avere un orologio elegante e lussuoso. Offrono lo stesso aspetto degli orologi di design originali a un costo molto inferiore. Inoltre, con una vasta gamma di stili e colori tra cui scegliere, puoi sempre trovare l’orologio perfetto per ogni occasione.
    ttps://www.orologilusso.eu/

3. Penso che gli orologi replica siano una buona scelta per coloro che vogliono risparmiare denaro e avere un orologio elegante e lussuoso. Offrono lo stesso aspetto degli orologi di design originali a un costo molto inferiore. Inoltre, con una vasta gamma di stili e colori tra cui scegliere, puoi sempre trovare l’orologio perfetto per ogni occasione.
    https://www.orologilusso.eu/

4. SMM Panel One is your one-stop solution for skyrocketing your social media presence and success. With our cutting-edge Social Media Marketing (SMM) panel, you can harness the power of various platforms to elevate your brand, engage your audience, and drive unprecedented growth. From increasing followers, likes, and comments to generating buzz around your content, our platform offers a seamless and efficient way to conquer the digital landscape. Boost your social media game with SMM Panel One and witness the magic of organic reach and genuine interactions like never before!

5. Your work here on this blog has been top notch from day 1. You’ve been continously providing amazing articles for us all to read and I just hope that you keep it going on in the future as well. Cheers! 物理補習班

6. I am extremely delighted in for this web journal. Its a useful subject. It help me all that much to take care of a few issues. Its chance are so awesome and working style so rapid. 籠車

7. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people. 訂造不銹鋼

8. Can I simply say what relief to get somebody that in fact knows what theyre dealing with on-line. You actually know how to bring a concern to light to make it essential. Workout . should ought to see this and can see this side of your story. I cant think youre less well-known simply because you definitely hold the gift. 硬筆書法班

9. This article is an engaging abundance of enlightening information that is intriguing and elegantly composed. I praise your diligent work on this and thank you for this data. You have what it takes to get consideration.  不鏽鋼

10. Great post yet I was thinking about whether you could compose a litte more on this subject? I”d be exceptionally grateful in the event that you could expound a tad bit further. Value it! 英文寫作課程

11. I need to to thank you for ones time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to look at new information in your site. 佐敦補習

12. Any business looking to elevate its social media game should definitely consider SMM Panel 2. Their genuine SMM Panel solutions have helped me tremendously in growing my audience and engagement across Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and more. Can’t recommend their services enough!

13. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. 不鏽鋼

14. I’ve tried a few different SMM Panel before but SMM Panel 2 stands out as #1 in my book. Their services for expanding their social media presence are unparalleled. Our brand has gained tremendous traction since partnering with them. SMM Panel 2 delivers 100% on customer satisfaction.

15. I just learned about Smm panel amazing services, and I have to mention that they have the best SMM Panel out there. Their remarkable outcomes demonstrate their proficiency in the Indian social media marketing landscape. Smmpanel is your best option if you’re a worldwide brand trying to reach the Indian market or an Indian company wishing to improve its online visibility.

16. Indulge in the invigorating essence of pure peppermint oil, sourced meticulously for unrivaled quality at Norex Flavours. best peppermint oil Elevate your senses and experience the finest in natural aromatherapy with our carefully crafted selection. Explore the refreshing benefits and myriad uses of our best peppermint oil, meticulously extracted to capture the essence of this beloved botanical. Delve into a world of freshness and rejuvenation with Norex Flavours – where excellence meets essence.

17. Taste the refreshing scent of genuine peppermint oil, available only at Norex Flavours, and awaken your senses. Savor the benefits of our premium-grade peppermint oil, which is sourced from the best components, and its natural freshness. Our peppermint oil opens doors to a world of possibilities, whether your goals are culinary perfection, fragrant ecstasy, or overall well-being. Get Norex Flavours today to discover their unmatched purity and excellence.

18. Taste the refreshing scent of genuine peppermint oil, available only at Norex Flavours, and awaken your senses. Savor the benefits of our premium-grade peppermint oil, which is sourced from the best components, and its natural freshness. buy peppermint oil Our peppermint oil opens doors to a world of possibilities, whether your goals are culinary perfection, fragrant ecstasy, or overall well-being. Get Norex Flavours today to discover their unmatched purity and excellence.