Brad Peterson

The grass IS always greener: what is seagrass and why we should we care about it

November 19th 2016

Photo credit: https://you.stonybrook.edu/theawesomepeterson/photos/

Interviewing Brad

Where did you go to school?

I did my undergraduate degree in marine biology at Florida Institute of Technology. I then went to the University of Rhode Island and obtained my masters degree in Zoology.  Finally, I went to the Dauphin Island Sea Lab in Alabama to complete my graduate education with a PhD in marine science.

What is your area of research?

I work with plant-animal interactions (think bees and flowers). I like to look at how animals and plants affect each other.  I work a lot with seagrasses and the animals that live in them.  I also work on coral reefs and the sponges that live on them.

Who or what inspired you to become involved in marine science?

Jacques Cousteau inspires me with his movies of life in the sea. As a young child I lived in the middle of the US and dreamed of the sea and all that was in it.  So I longed for that which I didn’t have or couldn’t see.

What qualities do you think are important in order to become a scientist?

Curiosity, passion and determination. You need to really love it and want to work and work and work until you find the answer.

Why is your research topic important?

In shallow coastal waters and estuaries, seagrasses are the most important habitat. Many, many animals live in them to eat, hid, hunt or reproduce.  They are very important nursery habitats for many animals.  The also improve water quality and help bind the sediment together.  Seagrasses have been estimated to be twice as valuable as coral reefs because of the many important services they provide.

What will you be bringing with you to the “meet with an Oceanographer” day?

I will bring some shells and some seagrass with me.

What is the best advice you have for people interested in becoming involved in your field of research or in marine sciences?

Work really hard to make yourself stand out. Do some research in someone’s lab to make sure this is really what you want to do.

What is your favorite ocean organism?

The bull shark

Want to learn more about Brad’s research? Visit his webpage

Bradley J. Peterson