Michelle Barbosa

Photo Credit: Michelle Barbosa

June 22, 2019 – Dining with Parasites: What’s infecting our shellfish?

Michelle Barbosa and Caroline Schwaner, Stony Brook University. Did you know clams and oysters can get sick just like you? Infection by parasites can be devastating for many shellfish species and shellfish growers. Meet with us to learn about the parasites infecting local shellfish and how scientists are working to diagnose and prevent disease spread.

Interviewing Michelle:

Where did you go to school?

I received my bachelor’s from Stony Brook University and am currently in the process of completing my master’s there as well.

What is your area of research?

I study the effects of ocean acidification on early life stage eastern oysters. I am primarily interested in understanding the molecular processes that confer resilience to ocean acidification and how changes in ocean pH may affect oyster immune systems; in other words, I am investigating the genes that may help oysters survive future acidic seawater environments and whether they will be more susceptible to pathogens.

Who or what inspired you to become involved in marine science?

When I was growing up we had a koi pond in our yard and after the fish became sick one day an aquatic veterinarian came to diagnose the fish and provide a treatment plan. After that day I became very interested in marine science and how environmental factors affects the health of marine organisms.

What qualities do you think are important in order to become a scientist?

I think curiosity is the number one most important quality for becoming a scientist; if you are curious about the world around you then you will find the determination needed to pursue a career in science.

Why is your research topic important?

Our work on ocean acidification (one form of climate change affecting the ocean) is helping us to understand how ocean organisms will be affected in the future if we do not work to prevent environmental damage. Oysters may be physically stunted (with alterations to size and shell development) or immunocompromised. Our work investigating important genes for resilience could also help to ensure that oysters remain on the menu and in our oceans in spite of the adverse changes that may happen to them physiologically.

What will you be bringing with you to the “meet with an Oceanographer” day?

I will be bringing shellfish, examples of preserved shellfish parasites, and some tools/instruments we use in the lab to investigate disease.

What is the best advice you have for people interested in becoming involved in your field of research or in marine sciences?

There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in marine research! Don’t be afraid to reach out to a group of people that are doing work you’re interested in. You can get involved by working in labs (where extra hands are always needed!) or even working with outreach groups that are providing positive impacts on species and ecosystems. You don’t need to know much about a specific area to become involved either; the best way to learn about something is hands-on work and you will quickly learn with experience.

What is your favorite ocean organism?

Shore Crabs (like Asian shore crabs and green shore crabs)! I love turning over rocks to find them and watching them scurry around.

What to learn more about Michelle, follow the links.

Students

Marine Vertebrate Biology major selected as URECA Researcher of the Month