Oliver Shipley

November 17, 2018 – Life is jawesome – unless you’re a shark!

Oliver Shipley, Stony Brook University. In the media, sharks have long been painted as terrifying, blood-thirsty killers, but they are definitively more than that. Meet with a local shark scientist and learn about the role of sharks in governing healthy marine ecosystems, and why we should care about conserving their populations.

Interviewing Ollie

Where did you go to school?

I received my undergraduate and masters degrees from Newcastle University, UK.

What is your area of research?

I use natural occurring chemical tracers and tracking devices to understand the movements and feeding patterns of sharks.

Who or what inspired you to become involved in marine science?

From an early age my family and I used to go on many weekend trips to the coast. I used to enjoy turning over rocks and looking for animals in rock pools, from then on I was hooked!

What qualities do you think are important in order to become a scientist?

Hard work…and lots of it! I worked many jobs for no or little pay before I had the qualifications to undertake higher education related to marine science. Also do not specify too early, there are plenty of opportunities to grasp if you keep an open mind and do not focus on solely studying a specific animal/location.

Why is your research topic important?

We have extremely limited information on the movements and energy sources, which support sharks, here in Long Island, but also on a global scale. My work has two main goals: 1) To identify critical habitat and food sources supporting shark populations, and 2) assessing whether the role of sharks in ecosystems has changed over the last few million years.

What will you be bringing with you to the “meet with an Oceanographer” day?

Microscope with shark tooth fossils and teeth collected from live sharks. Jars with preserved sharks and stingrays. Computer with videos highlighting some of my recent shark expeditions to The Bahamas.

What is the best advice you have for people interested in becoming involved in your field of research or in marine sciences?

Take every opportunity you can to gain experience (even if it doesn’t directly apply to your field of interest), network like crazy, and be prepared to work long hours. It is all worth it when you achieve your end goal!

What is your favorite ocean organism?

Bluntnose six gill shark