#13 Virtual Reality Tool Serves as Therapy at Long Island State Veterans Home

Long Island State Veterans Home (LISVH), located on the campus of Stony Brook University,  is one of only a few nursing homes in the country that are fully integrated into the health and educational mission of a major teaching and research university.

Use of virtual reality headsets is the latest technology-driven therapeutic initiative put into action by the facility as a means to advance veterans’ well-being and quality of life.

World War II veteran Ed Kiernan, left, and Vietnam veteran Anthony Zaccarello

The therapeutic use of virtual technology can have a variety of benefits depending on who is using the system and what scenarios are chosen. A familiar hobby or location might be used for a resident with dementia, while a resident with PTSD might choose to walk on the beach.

“I put these goggles on and I got to have the whole experience, from walking into the gate to helping the crew work on the car to riding in the car,” said Anderson, 72, who served in the Army’s Special Forces. “I’m a big NASCAR fan and raced stock cars when I was younger, so this [setting] was something I thought I would relate to and enjoy the most.”

Thanks to financial support from the Bowlers to Veterans Link charitable foundation, the LISVH is the first state veterans home in the country to offer virtual reality experiences to residents.

Read more: https://news.stonybrook.edu/sb_medicine/virtual-reality-tool-serves-as-therapy-for-stony-brook-vets-home/