Design Brief

Personas:

Persona Type : Younger Person, owns a Cafe, Small Business Owner

Name : Barbara Lee

Age : 32

Location : New York City, New York

Technical Comfort : Barbara is relatively comfortable with technology and is used to using social media daily.

Job Title : Self-Employed Cafe Owner

Back Story :

• Barbara has an MBA which she acquired when she was 25 years old.
  • She has always dreamed of owning her own cafe.
  • She is a frequent cafe customer and believes she has narrowed down the recipe for a successful cafe.
  • She is a single mother raising a 5-year old child and has to provide for him.

Motivations :

• Recently, Barbara has seen a loss in customers and believes that a revamp is needed on the marketing front.
  • She wants to redo her cafe’s website and add new features.
  • She wants a fully customizable website and does not want to use a ‘template’ website such as squarespace. She has had a negative experience in the past.
  • She does not want to spend any time dealing with the process of creating a website and would rather save time by hiring someone to create a website tailored for her.

Frustrations :

• Barbara has had bad experiences with technology in the past and has no intention of trying to use a website such as squarespace as she considers it too technologically advanced.
  • She prefers to save time and focus on the aspects of the business which she likes and doesn’t consider a hassle.

Their Ideal Experience :

• Barbara does not have a solid idea for how the website should look but wants a modern looking website which has features she has in mind.
  • She wants the company to attain inspiration from popular coffee shops and create a website which can rival theirs.
  • She wants to use a company with strong customer support rather than a self-building website.

Quote :

“I don’t have time to learn new technologies as I’m busy taking care of my child and running this business. I would rather hire a third-party to take care and maintain my website for me. This would allow me to spend more time at home.”

Persona Type : Older Person, Small Business Owner, owner of a Fishing/Boat Rental Shop

Name : Tom Franklin

Age : 59

Location : Long Island, New York

Technical Comfort : Not comfortable with technology at all. Occasionally uses FaceBook to check up on family. Does not know how to text.

Job Title : Owner of Fishing/Boat Rental Shop

Back Story :

• Tom inherited this shop from his dad, he has been fishing for as long as he can remember and fishing on a boat has been his life passion.
  • Tom lives with his wife at home. He has two children who currently live out of state.
  • Recently, one of Tom’s longtime customers suggested he open a website to attract new customers.

Motivations :

• Tom recently heard of online reservations and would like to implement this feature to his store.
  • He wants to attract more of the younger generation to his shop.

Frustrations :

• Tom does not have much experience with the internet and feels that he is at the age where he doesn’t want to learn much technology.
  • He wants to fill in the vacant time slots currently in his boat rentals.

Their Ideal Experience :

• He just wants to have a website which has all the shop details and an online reservation system which will give him a calendar with customer information for times scheduled.

Quote :

• “The younger generation are constantly on their phones and computers. I need to be able to reach them on platforms they are using. I don’t know much about technology, but I hope that I can reach a further audience with a website.”

Persona Type : College Student, photographer

Name : Jennifer Gonzalez

Age : 19

Location : Buffalo, NY

Technical Comfort : Very familiar with technology, has made a website with SquareSpace in the past.

Job Title : Photographer

Back Story :

• Jennifer has just graduated highschool and is in her freshman year of College.
  • She currently dorms and needs extra pocket money so she has decided to market her skills as a photographer.
  • She likes to shoot weddings and products for businesses.
  • Recently, she has been attaining a large amount of shoots and has enough money to invest more into marketing.

Motivations :

• Jennifer wants to revamp her current photography portfolio and has unique graphic design features in mind.
  • She wants to display a camera on the website where in order to shuffle through photos you can use the dials on the camera.

Frustrations :

• The feature she wants to implement is not supported by SquareSpace.
  • She does not have the time to learn how to program and is willing to pay a company to make her a website.

Their Ideal Experience :

• Ideally, she wants a company who will listen to all her ideas and execute depending on how she wants the website to look.
  • She has plans already drawn out and just needs help implementing it into an actual website.

Quote :

• “My business lately has been going really well and I would love to market it better. I am very detail oriented and I want to portray that message to my customers by having a very unique and special website.”

Color Palette:

This is the color palette I ended up choosing. Shades of blue are highly prevalent in order to give off a sense of reliability and professionalism. I also hope to achieve a sense of modernism through my choices in colors. The buttons and logo of the website will be composed primarily of the middle three colors in the palette, the background the far left darker blue, while the right most blue will be used as transitions between the lighter to darker colors.

Wireframe: