End of Life for Classroom & Personal Capture
Echo360 Universal Capture is in general availability for both Mac and Windows, and for Personal and Classroom modes. Universal Capture replaces the existing applications Classroom Capture (CCAP) and Personal Capture (PCAP) for a better and easier capture experience. We are seeing excellent adoption rates for Universal Capture, so it is time to plan for the end of support for the legacy applications.
Echo360 plans on phasing out both technical support and functional support in the platform over the following timeline:
- August 30th, 2019: The download links for both CCAP and PCAP will be removed from the platform. This is also the end of support date for these applications in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA). While the applications will likely continue to work for the rest of the year, there will be no support available.
Clients in the EMEA region should plan a full transition to Universal Capture before this time. Clients in other regions can continue to use existing CCAP and PCAP installations but will no longer have the ability to download it.
- January 15th, 2020: This date marks both the end of life and the end of support for these applications globally. As of this date, CCAP and PCAP will cease to work with the Echo360 platform due to enhancements in the capture pipeline that will only work with Universal Capture.
It is of the utmost importance that all Echo360 clients complete their transition to Universal Capture by this time.
If you have any questions about your transition to Universal Capture, please contact your Echo360 representative and see our Universal Capture documentation.
Upcoming change in content delivery
We are in the process of transitioning the way we deliver content from HTML5 to HLS (HTTP live streaming) for both VOD (video on demand) and Live classes. This has been in selected beta testing with interested Institutions for several weeks and we are planning on making it GA (generally available) with the release scheduled for July 30-31, 2019.
For more information on the ongoing beta or the upcoming changes, see the HLS Beta Documentation available in our online help portal.
- Clicking the Echo360 logo in the top left corner of the Classroom now directs the user to their Echo360 Home page, in the same way that clicking the logo from other places in the UI directs users to their Home page.
- The media selection modals for embedding videos into LMS Content Windows have been updated with a new look. These windows will continue to evolve as we add more functionality to them over the next several months.
- The Pod appliance can now be configured to use a wireless network where the SSID is hidden.
- Classroom playback now always starts at the beginning of the video for anonymous users viewing classes via a public access section links.
- Addressed an issue surrounding scheduling conflict messages that can appear when capture schedules are generated very close to the capture start time indicated.