If you asked for Automatic Speech Recognition to be turned on in echo360 for your course, you also agreed to edit them. Here is some feedback from Dr. John True on the process that he used to edit them. Feel free to comment to share your methods.
(1) download raw transcript file from Echo content as instructed by Echo360.org
(2) edit carefully in text editor, replacing only transcript text and keeping all carriage returns and blank lines
(3) save as .vtt by changing the suffix to .vtt in finder
(4) check format at https://quuz.org/webvtt/
This will produce a list of errors by line number. Paste entire text into MSWord and turn on line numbering using Line Numbers in Layout tab (ms Word for Mac 2019) to see the line numbering of the file. The line numbers will not be precise; they will be one or two lines off but this should be close enough to find the errors. My first file had three & symbols, which are not allowed and one deleted line break. & symbols will be listed as incorrect escapes and deleted line breaks (timing cue abuts transcript text when this happens) will be listed as “Milliseconds must be given in three digits.”.
(5) make the changes in .vtt file in text editor and save (should keep the .vtt format)
(6) upload edited .vtt file in both transcript and caption areas as instructed by Echo360.org
(7) turn on closed captioning for video to see the captions