Just another SB You: Web Publishing for You site

After many trials of using Light Emulsion, I have to say it is quite difficult, but I believe with more practice, maybe one can truly understand it better.

Experiments:

photo 2 (1)

The above image are trials I had done using Liquid Light.

Proper steps had to be taken so that the object could hold the emulsion:

The cardboard was exposed in 30 seconds interval ending at 90 seconds

The canvas was first exposed to 8 seconds and it was not sucessful, and later was exposed to 30 seconds and then 90 seconds interval ending at 270 seconds

The masonite did not need any adhesion and it was exposed at least 480 seconds

The glasses had to be cleaned with laundry detergent and had to have a layer of Knox unflavored gelatin.  Since, they were smaller and the enlarger was all the way down, it was exposed to 5 seconds.

Final Project: 

As I had stated before, my uncle had created images on wood and what I believed was photography was actually not. After gaining a little more experience on Liquid light, I wanted to test out the emulsion on wood. Though some areas did not get exposed (possibly by the emulsion layers), it came out successful.

photo 1 (1)

The wood had to be cleaned off and at least two layer of glossy polyurethane varnish had to be applied as it would act as an adhesion to the emulsion. Since the wood pieces were small and the enlarger was brought all the way down, each wood piece was exposed to 25 seconds.

Thoughts of mine:

Through experimenting, I have found out you need at least a thick layer of light emulsion, so that the film could be exposed (approximately 4 layers or 2 thick layers). A lot of factors play an important role when using Liquid Light such as the absorption of the object, layering of the emulsion, the drying of the emulsion, and finally the exposing and developing of the image. It was truly a great experience to see how emulsion really works, especially on objects that are not just paper

§126 · May 19, 2014 · Uncategorized · (No comments) ·