Annemarie Waugh

Worms in the worm bin with food scraps

Toilet roll, brown twine, brown paper worm blanket

Stale bread

Coiled paper blanket

Eggshell Moon, bread crumb sand vegetable decomposing landscape

Soil & egg painting

Canvas coiling

Soil & egg bunny painting

Soaked cardboard in worm bin

Shredded newspaper, cardboard, coconut coil, soil

Smiling rock offering I found on the beach

The soaking top layer of paper

Shells for the worms

Soil & egg painting                                  

Wormarie, 2021     Adventures in vermicomposting                                                                             A collaboration with a community of red wigglers. 

Inspired by the red wiggler worm, I created the artwork Wormarie in collaboration with 120 red wigglers. Composed of soil, repurposed cardboard, newspaper, brown twine, tea bags, toilet paper rolls, eggshells, vegetable scraps, rotting fruit, coffee grinds, soil, coconut coir, shells, and stale bread. In addition to demonstrating the power of artmaking and worm community collaboration, the project engaged my family in a dialogue about food waste, food choices, and environmental stewardship.

Red wigglers (Eisenia fetida), are very well suited to the domestic setting. They thrive in the same temperature ranges as humans and eat many of the same foods. When provided with a dark, moist enclosure, they remain unseen, unheard, and undetected by smell, They can eat half of their weight of food per day and, since they eat food and paper waste, they are one of the most efficient home waste processing systems around. Red worms eat the offensive, smell-emitting microorganisms that grow on decomposing organic waste, therefore a worm bin indoors doesn’t smell. The cast that these worms produce can then be used for gardening.

They help us reduce greenhouse gas emissions by eating food waste that would otherwise create methane when decomposing in landfills. 

Vermicompost; valuable soils produced by worms recycling food scraps. Vermicompost is beneficial to plants, the worms cycle nutrient-rich fruit and vegetable scraps, turning them into nutrient-rich compost. As the worms create their rich compost and liquid gold for my garden and plants, I wanted to do something for the worms.

Things I did for worms:

I made them a designer worm blanket from toilet paper rolls, brown paper, and string.            And a blanket of coils from the New York Times.                                                                                      I drew them some flowers with soil paint and this became another worm blanket.  Perhaps they will add worm squiggles?                                                                                                                               I prepared a box full of finely chopped kitchen scraps, including eggshells, shells, vegetable scraps, ground-up stale bread & arranged as a moon landscape.                                                           I gave them each a shell from the beach as a thank you.                                                                      And a smiling rock offering to wiggle on. As well as a bed of soggy leaves

Future plans: I am designing and building them a four-storey modern house inspired by Mies van der Rohe out of oak, with draws that pull out, a slide for slithering on, a green roof, rocks, shells, and a spigot to collect their liquid gold.

I began to dream of worms. 

Worm poem 

After Kaveh Akber 

The sunset on the tree is a composting worm

Worms are sprouting from the flowerbeds

Worms are gushing out of the sprinklers

The dog has wiggling worms hanging in his mouth

The fridge is filled with worms 

The lawn mower leaves a trail of worms

Teenagers are texting each other worm pictures

Artists are posting and liking worms on Instagram

Families in Brooklyn are vermicomposting

Mothers chop rotting vegetables, their children grab stripy worms with dirty fingers, who are 

worms themselves, their laughs are a kind of worm

Worms are my hair

My laptop has worms in folders

The mouse rolls worms

In the apple is a worm

The earthworm is the earth’s lover

I wish I was worm, roaming, with no stress

A gentle, generous and fat

Creature of the damp and dark

A silent turning worm

3 thoughts on “Annemarie Waugh

1. linda weintraub

You have masterfully fulfilled this project for all but the final part that would make it relevant to this project.
    Fabulous:
    Choice of materials
    Collaboration with worms, a decomposing species
    Defining creativity in terms of breaking down organic matter
    Creating a context for the artwork that respects the needs of a nonhuman organism

Super fabulous:
    Establishing a personal and nurturing relationship with the decomposing organisms
    Redefining ‘landscape’ in terms of material cycling of household wastes
    Bridging this radical redefinition of art and more conventional image-making – painting and collage
    Researching red wigglers (Eisenia fetida)
    Missing: The finale of the elaborate and wonderful progression of material transformations that you created = “Beyond Death”
    What happens to the worms when they die?????
    If you could incorporate this part of the narrative, I would gladly consider adding your work to my curatorial choices.

Reply
    1. awaugh Post author

Dear Linda,

Thank you so much for your comments and for setting up this terrific project.

Missing: The finale of the elaborate and wonderful progression of material transformations that you created = “Beyond Death” What happens to the worms when they die?????

If a worm dies in the bin, I will not notice it. Since the worm’s body is about 90% water, it will shrivel up and become part of the compost rather quickly. New worms are born and others die all the time.
      As I harvest the worm compost I am adding it to my garden vegetable beds and will be planting tomatoes and herbs this weekend. So the new worms will keep being born and the older ones that die I am putting them into my garden and the cycle continues.
      Do you think adding this along with photographs of my vegetable bed will be enough for this final part? or are you thinking I should do something else?

Very best,
      Annemarie Waugh

Hi Annemarie,

Would you consider changing the title so that the focus is on the ‘beyond death’ of the red wigglers, since you explained that this transformation from worm to soil is already present in your work because they digest organic waste, poop, and die. Suggested title might include the terms: “Digest. Defecate. Die. Decompose.” A subtitle might include “Welcome, Red Wigglers, to My Garden” or “Garden Partners” or something of that sort. Your thoughts?

Linda

Hi Linda,

Yes, a more direct title is a good idea and I like the idea of a subtitle.
      The original title ‘Wormarie’ was created by combining the word worm with the 2nd part of my name marie, hence Wormarie as we are partners.
      And I like the wormplay! I was considering adventures in vermicomposting but I think your idea of being more direct is a good one.

Allow me a few days to think up a better title for this. I will try to finalize this by Nobi’s class this Wednesday if that works for you.

Very best,
      Annemarie

Reply
  2. am

Hi Linda,

My Wormarie has grown such amazing looking mold from my rotting vegetable landscape and I wanted to share this image with you. The worms are loving it, but as soon as I remove the lid to snap a photograph the go to the bottom which is in darkness quickly.

Also on the title I am thinking

Wormarie – Dine. Defecate. Die. Decompose.
    A composting collaboration with red wiggler worms.

Very best,
    Annemarie

From Linda

Hi,

Looks great!

Your new title is good.

Nice work!

Reply