Meet the Board

2019-2020 Executive Board

President: Mickey Yu

My name is Mickey Yu and I am the new president of BMES. I am a sophomore in biomedical engineering on the cellular and molecular track and planning a minor in Korean studies. I am very excited for my first Korean course this semester. I participated in the Polymers REU program at Case Western Reserve University this summer and I want to continue researching during the fall semester. I finally decided that I want to pursue a career as a physician and have started on the pre-medicine track. I aspire to launch a fulfilling career as a researcher, engineer, and physician. In my free time, I will most likely be found at the REC, playing badminton for fun and for competition. 

Vice President: Liliana Henriquez

Hello! My name is Liliana Henriquez and I am the Vice President of BMES. Last year, I had the opportunity to be the Academic Chair. I am a senior double majoring in Biomedical Engineering and Applied Math and Statistics. My specialization is in biomechanics and biomaterials. After graduating, I hope to design medical devices in the industry specifically in the biomechanics field. Outside of school, I enjoy swimming, playing lacrosse, camping, and baking. 

Treasurer: Elvis J. Carrillo

Hey! My name is Elvis and I am the Treasurer of BMES. I am currently part of a research team exploring tissue engineering kidneys with a regenerative approach. I am a sophomore matriculating in engineering science with an emphasis in biomaterials. I hope to continue to do research into engineering in regenerative medicine following the culmination of my current project. In my spare time I like to go hiking. 

Secretary: Alex Maus

My name is Alex Maus and I am the new secretary of BMES.  I am a sophomore Biomedical Engineering student with a specialization in biomechanics and biomaterials.  This past summer, I had the privilege of being a member of Stony Brook’s iGEM team, which is a student led, synthetic biology research competition culminating with a jamboree, where my team and I get to present our research and compete for medals against other teams worldwide.  I hope to pursue a career in prosthetics post-graduation. In my free time, you might find me working out at the REC or playing sports with my friends.

2019-2020 Extended-Executive Board

Outreach/Funding Chair: Younis Zaokari

Hello! My name is Younis Zaokari. I am the Outreach/Fundraising chair of the BMES. I am a pre-med student in my junior year studying both Biomedical Engineering on the molecular and cellular track and Applied Mathematics and Statistics. I am currently participating in a Biodesign internship under the supervision of Dr. Judex. On-campus I am also the vice president of the Muslim Students Association and a member of the Arabic Language and Culture Club. Additionally, I am a study abroad alumnus of the Tanzania program and a Gilman scholar. My future plans include going to medical school and becoming a cardiothoracic surgeon. Outside of academia, I enjoy playing soccer and swimming.  

Professional Development Chair: Daniel Mahoney

My name is Daniel Mahoney. I am the Professional Development Chair of the BMES, President of The Society of Young Entrepreneurs, and a member of Phi Delta Epsilon International Medical Fraternity. As a passionate pre-medical student at Stony Brook University, I am looking to apply knowledge and learn more about mathematical modeling and creative design techniques to improve medical procedures, research, business and equipment functionality. Special interests in diagnostics, business development, research and development, digital design, applied behavioral analysis and statistical analysis for the validation of claims. Bioimaging/Bioelectricity track and dual major with AMS.

Student Seminar Series Project Manager: Michael Ly

Hi everyone! My name is Michael Ly and I am this year’s Student Seminar Series (formerly Journal Club) Chair. My role in BMES is to provide students the opportunity to practice their public speaking in front of interested peers. As of now, I am a sophomore BME major focused on bio-mechanics and bio-materials working under Dr. Rubenstein’s VIP team. My future ambition is to garner a deeper understanding of regenerative medicine to ultimately develop a prototype artificial limb or even organ. Outside of the educational aspect of my life, I enjoy spending my time binge-watching sci-fi TV shows like Black Mirror and practicing basic origami models. If you’re interested in presenting in one of my SSS meets or just want to chat, feel free to contact me!

Social Chair: Susan Wu

I’m Susan Wu and I’m the social chair for BMES, which makes me responsible for planning and organizing some of the fun social events here on campus! I’m a sophomore BME major working towards the specialization in cellular and molecular engineering, also on the pre-med track. My dream is to be a physician scientist, where I can bridge the gap between advancements developed in the lab and therapies for patients. I work in Stony Brook Medicine in the McKinnon-Rosati Lab, where I study the effect of chemotherapy on brain structure using fMRI technology, but I also hope to research more in the field of CRISPR/Cas9 genetic engineering, which is a major academic passion of mine. Outside of the lab, you can usually find me playing piano, reading, and tutoring chemistry and physics. 

Social Chair: Evan Meyer

Hello everyone!  My name is Evan Meyer and I am the Social Chair for BMES this year! I help with organizing, planning, and carrying out social events for the BMES club with the hope that more BME and engineering students can come together in a social setting.  I am a Sophomore biomedical engineering major. In my free time, I enjoy exercising as well as socializing and I am also part of the boxing club at Stony Brook.

Academic Chair: Joshua Goodman

Hi! My name is Josh Goodman and I’m the Academic Chair of BMES. I’m an AMS and BIO double major with a minor in Bioengineering! My aspiration is and has always been to become a doctor, but here at Stony Brook I have discovered a love for mathematics and I am now pursuing this minor which combines both of my interests in a tangible way. On the side, I currently work with AMS Professor Reuter trying to derive Complex Band Structure for dendritic materials. In my free time, I love to just jam out to music (especially heavy metal) or play some video games.

2018-2019 Executive Board

President: Eva Gallegos

Hey! My name is Eva and I am the president of BMES. I am a senior in biomedical engineering on the cellular and molecular track and am minoring in music. I am currently researching in Dr. Frame’s lab, specifically studying changes in red blood cells with response to increases in temperature in an attempt to explain thermal burn injury progression. Ultimately, my goal is to become a physician so I plan on attending medical school. On campus, I also work as a chair for SHPE and am a member of WISE, through which I serve as a mentor for freshmen in BME and an instructor for a middle school science & engineering program. Music has been an important part of my life, and I enjoy working as a violin and piano teacher and playing with the University Orchestra.

Vice President: Abdullah Mohammed Rizvi

Hi! I am Abdullah. I am the Vice President and the Event chair of the BMES. Previously I have had the opportunity of being the treasurer of the BMES. I am a senior focusing on Bio-imaging and signals track in BME with a second major in Applied Mathematics and statistics and a minor in  Electrical Engineering. After graduation, I would like to attend graduate school to pursue Ph.D. in Medical Physics. Currently, I am doing research for the Radiology Department with Dr. Terry Button on early Breast cancer detection with the use of DIRI and Biomedical Engineering Department for Dr. Chan on ‘Lab in a Cube’. Outside of school and work, my interests include hiking, mountain climbing, cooking and reading thriller novel.

Treasurer: Timothy Darby

Hello! My name is Tim Darby and I am the treasurer for BMES. I am responsible for handling our USG-funded budget and allocating funds for our many wonderful events on campus. I am a senior in the biomedical engineering program, with a specialization in cellular and molecular engineering. I work in Stony Brook Medicine in the Dr. Obeid ‘Lipid Cancer Lab’ investigating how different bioactive lipids contribute to cancer metabolism. Outside of academic pursuits, I am a basketball fanatic and love to play intramural volleyball. After graduation, I plan on attending medical school and pursuing my dream of working in oncology.

Secretary: Krishangi Krishna

Hello! I am the secretary for BMES and in charge of sending you those lovely weekly emails regarding our club’s events. I am currently a senior specializing in cellular and molecular engineering and working in Dr. Brouzes microfluidics lab to find alternatives to PDMS for dPCR. After graduation, I plan on working towards my PhD degree. My other interests lie in electrical engineering: you may find me at the SAC working as an Audio/Visual technician and manager for all major events regarding wires, microphones, projectors, etc. Outside of work, I enjoy doing yoga, practicing the piano (if I can ever find the time), cooking, and meeting new people. So come to our events and make some new friends!

2018-2019 Extended-Executive Board

Outreach Chair: Shahajahan Chowdhury

Hey everyone! My name is hard to pronounce, so you can call me Shah for short. I am a senior Biomedical Engineering student with a Cellular/Molecular specialization track. My plan after graduation is to attend medical school. I am currently interested in computational fluid dynamics of atherosclerosis with Dr. Yin. I am in charge of fundraising for biomedical causes such as A Leg To Stand On (ALTSO), and promoting biomedical engineering in schools across Long Island. In my spare time, I enjoy writing for newsletters on campus and discussing politics and religion. I’m also an avid fan of dank memes, and I enjoy making the most out of every situation through humor.

Student Seminar Series Project Manager: Daniel Moore Jr.

My name is Daniel Moore Jr. I am the Journal Club manager for the Stony Brook University chapter of the Biomedical Engineering Society. I am currently in my Senior year of the undergraduate BME program at Stony Brook University and my specialization is in biomechanics and biomaterials. I also volunteer/intern in the BME department at Stony Brook Medicine where I am gaining hands on experience for electrical maintenance and repairs.

Social Chair: Mickey Yu

Hey there! My name is Mickey Yu and I am the social chair of BMES. Yes, I am the one who plans and organizes all those fun events that you guys enjoy. I am a freshman in biomedical engineering, planning to dedicate myself to the cellular and molecular track. I have a lot of academic aspirations for my college life such dual majoring with applied math and statistics, minoring in Korean studies, and study abroad. I am very interesting in patent law, however, I have yet to eliminate becoming a physician as a career. Most of my free time is spent on sleeping, reading paranormal romance novels, or playing badminton in the REC. I am on the Stony Brook Badminton team.

Academic Chair: Liliana Henriquez

Hello! My name is Liliana Henriquez and I am the academic chair of BMES. I am responsible for organizing and hosting our academic events. I am a junior double majoring in biomedical engineering and applied math and statistics. My specialization is in biomechanics and biomaterials. Outside of school, I enjoy swimming, playing lacrosse, and baking.

Marketing Chair: Rashad Saleem

Hello! My name is Rashad Saleem and I am the Marketing Chair for BMES. I am responsible for making sure that people know about our events and that we are accessible.  I am a senior in the biomedical engineering program, with a specialization in cellular and molecular engineering. When I am not in school, I work on the weekends at my retail job and help my family by doing chores around the house.

2018-2019 Faculty Advisor

Dr. Wei Yin-Rubenstein

2015-2016 Executive Board

• President: Gabe Ruttner
  • Academic & Outreach VP: Shipra Arjun
  • Professional & Social VP: Ravi Patel
  • Treasurer: Adiba Chowdhury
  • Secretary: Amy Young
  • Academic Chair: Milan Gunasekera
  • Outreach Chair: Gita Vikram
  • Outreach Chair: Manasvi Varshney
  • Professional Development Chair: Sofya Pugach
  • Professional Development Chair: Christopher Balzano
  • Social Chair & Roth Regatta Coordinator: Amna Haider
  • Graduate representative: Samantha Rossano
  • Communications Secretary: Samantha Weber-Fishkin
  • Public Relations: Sarah Heacox
  • Webmaster: Juan Bastidas
  • E-Ball Representative: Michael Witherspoon
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Wei Yin-Rubenstein

2014-2015 Executive Board

• President: Arnavi Varshney
  • Academic & Social VP: Christina Snyder
  • Outreach & Professional VP: Gabe Ruttner
  • Treasurer: John Medamana
  • Secretary: Samantha Rossano
  • Academic Chair: Shruti Parikh
  • Outreach Chair: Shipra Arjun
  • Professional Development Chair: Vinosh Mathuranayagam
  • Professional Development Chair: Ravi Patel
  • Social Chair: Manasvi Varshney
  • Graduate representative: Mariana Miranda
  • Communications Secretary: Amy Young
  • Public Relations: Adiba Chowdhury
  • Webmaster: Sofya Pugach
  • E-Ball Representative: Amna Haider

2013-2014 Executive Board

• Co-President: Muhammed Kandeel Javid
  • Co-President: Arnavi Varshney
  • Vice-President: Christina Synder
  • Treasurer: Raeish Hinson
  • Secretary: Mariana Miranda
  • Internal Commucation Secretary: Morgan Teeratananon
  • Public Relations: Samantha Rossano
  • Academic Chair: Shruti Parikh
  • Industry Chair: Amit Guruprasad
  • Social Chair: John Medamana
  • Co-Outreach Chair: Gabriel Ruttner
  • Outreach Chair/Webmaster: Arely Clavel

2012-2013 Executive Board

• President: Sowmya Sundaresh
  • Vice-President: Michele Cheung
  • Treasurer: Muhammed Kandeel Javid
  • Secretary (1): Christina Snyder
  • Secretary (2): Arnavi Varshney
  • Webmaster: Jashna Benday
  • Internal Commucation Secretary: Arely Clavel
  • Social Chair: Arnavi Varshney
  • Graduate Representative: Steve Leigh
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Emilia Entcheva

2011-2012 Executive Board

• President: Sowmya Sundaresh
  • Vice-President: Margaret Evans
  • Treasurer: Michelle Cheung
  • Secretary: Kathryn Small
  • Webmaster (1): Ram Proshad Ghosh
  • Webmaster (2): Cheng Qian
  • Internal Commucation: Mika Lai
  • Communication Secretary: Christina Snyder
  • Social Chair: Vihita Patel
  • Graduate Representative: Steve Leigh
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Emilia Entcheva

2010-2011 Executive Board

• President: Margaret Evans
  • Vice-President: Erica Palma
  • Treasurer: Sowmya Sundaresh
  • Secretary: Rahul Mehta
  • Communications Secretary (1): Cookie Yu
  • Communications Secretary (2): Marek Lhotak
  • Chief Technical Officer: Mika Lai
  • Webmaster: Ada Tsoi
  • Social Chair: Kushagra Singhal
  • E-Ball Representative: Antonio Wong
  • Graduate Representative: Steve Leigh
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Emilia Entcheva

2009-2010 Executive Board

• President: Kathleen Burke
  • Vice-President: Elizabeth Fievisohn
  • Treasurer: Erica Palma
  • Secretary: Margaret Evans
  • Communications Secretary: Dan DeDora
  • Chief Technical Officer: Richard Hill
  • Webmaster: Ada Tsoi
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Emilia Entcheva

2008-2009 Executive Board

• President: Matthew Mancuso
  • Vice-President: Hala Mostafa
  • Treasurer: Kathleen Burke
  • Secretary: Margaret Evans
  • Social Chair: Elizabeth Fievisohn
  • Webmaster: Jeryes Frieh
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Emilia Entcheva

2007-2008 Executive Board

• President: Ujas Shah
  • Vice President: Hala Mostafa
  • Treasurer: Adriana Gomez
  • Secretary: Karin Wang
  • Social Chair: Matthew Mancuso
  • Webmaster: Ravi Desai

2004-2005 Executive Board

• President: Sailaja Akella
  • Vice President: Debolina Kowshik
  • Treasurer: Muhammad Parvaz
  • Secretary: Lamya Karim
  • Social Chair: Eduardo Vargas
  • Webmaster: Jenn Looi
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Michael Hadjiargyrou

2003-2004 Executive Board

• President: David Rubenstein
  • Vice President: Maricris Silva
  • Treasurer: Debolina Kowshik
  • Secretary: Sailaja Akella
  • Social Chair: Anita Cheruvanky
  • Webmaster: Endna Choi