Meet the Board

2023-2024 Executive Board

President: Abigail Masri

Heya everyone! My names Abby, and I’m this years President of BMES. Majoring in you guessed it, BME.

After I graduate this year I plan to pursue my PhD in Biochemistry or Cellular Biology, but no matter what focusing on plants and agriculture.

A fun fact about me is that I actually get horribly sea sick but love all things in the water. Swimming, surfing, water skiing, paddle boarding. You name it, I’ve done it while sick out of my mind.

Vice President: Pola Urmanski

Hi! I’m Pola I’m a junior in BME on the pre med track in the cellular/molecular specialization. In the future I hope to become a physician. I went into BME because I wanted to study how to create the devices and medications that physicians use to treat people before I become a physician myself. I hope to work in industry during my gap year or continue my education and complete my masters in BME. My fun fact is I love to crochet and ski and I’m apart of the crochet club and ski club on campus.

Treasurer: Dinubasri Kumariduraivan

Hello, I’m Dinubasri and the treasurer of BMES! I’m a sophomore majoring in BME on the premed track. Some things I’m involved in include being part of the Student Leadership council of WISE, being an EMT, and volunteering in the hospital as well. I look forward to seeing you at the various events in the upcoming year!

Secretary: Ashritha Annam

Hi! My name is Ashritha and I am a junior majoring in Biomedical Engineering on the biomaterials/biomechanics track. I am hoping to go into bioinformatics/data science after graduation and I am also a part of Dr. Chan’s VIP BEAR team working with wearable technologies! I have been a part of BMES since freshman year and I am excited to be a part of e-board this year!

2023-2024 Extended-Executive Board

Professional Development Chair: Shannon McKenna

I’m a sophomore in biomedical engineering (obvi) and right now, I’m not sure what I want to do with BME. I’m just trying to get experience anywhere possible. Some fun facts: I have raised a caterpillar to a moth, and I just traveled to Madrid!!

Social Chair: Ciara Woellhof

Hello! My name is Ciara and I am a junior who is majoring in Biomedical Engineering with a specialization in biomechanics/biomaterials and a second major in Applied Mathematics and Statistics. Outside of BMES I am involved in multiple research groups including Hand in Hands and Go Baby Go! with Dr. Chan.
My goal after college is to get further involved with creating prosthetics.
I am really looking forward to meeting and getting to know you all at the upcoming BMES events!

Academic Chair: Norah Allam

Hello! My name is Norah Allam and I am a sophomore double majoring in Biomedical Engineering and Applied Mathematics and Statistics with a minor in Studio Art. I will be speacializing in the biomechanics and biomaterials track for BME. I am still learning about what BME has to offer so the career options are very vast for now! In my free time I love to draw, listen to music, and hang out with friends. I’m excited to be this year’s academic chair and can’t wait to meet everyone!

General Body Meeting Chair: Sana Awais

I am a junior in biomedical engineering with a specialization in biomaterials and biomechanics. Career wise, I want to work in the industry field with a company that works with prosthetics! I plan to move and hopefully work in Boston in the future! A fun fact about me is that I love to paint and anything art and back in high school I even won multiple awards for my paintings!

Historian: Christian Acuña

Hello hello! I’m Christian and I’m the historian for BMES. I’m a senior BME major on the biomaterials and biomechanics track (though I dabble in my fair share of MEC classes)
My interests in BME lie around the cloud of orthopedics and I’m a part of Dr. Qin’s lab researching ultrasound for bone tissue regeneration!!
Outside of BME I love to be surrounded by music and am the Secretary for the SBU ballroom team, where I dance away my nights.

Engineering Chair: Azhar Muhammad

My name is Azhar Muhammad and I am a sophomore double majoring in BME and French. I am hoping to specialize in Biomechanics and Biomaterials, but I still don’t fully know what I want to do with the degree.
Some fun facts about me are that I lived in Spain for 12 years, I LOVE skiing (join the ski club) and I play the piano.

Public Relations: Ariel Barber
Hey ya’ll. My name is Ariel Barber and I am a BME Major with a specialization in Biomechanics. I hope to one day work under a pharmaceutical company to create as well as improve medical devices to make them more ergonomic, affordable and effective for those in need. Right now I am a new member of Dr. Yao’s Soft Robotics club. A fun fact about me is that I am learning how to garden and that I love drawing for fun. I can’t wait to meet you all!
Outreach Chair: Lily Shevitz
Hi I’m Lily and I’m a sophomore majoring in BME and AMS and I am outreach chair on BMES this year. I am also a member of the SBU Club Soccer Team, VIP BEAR, and a peer tutor with the Academic Success and Tutoring Center. My fun fact is that I can play the banjo!

2022-2023 Executive Board

President: Elpida Manolas

Hello, I’m Elpida and I am a Senior Biomedical Engineering Major at Stony Brook University with a concentration in Biomaterials/Biomechanics! I’ve been a part of BMES Board since my Freshman year, but I’m also a part of many other teams on campus. I’m currently involved in Dr. Chan’s LIV Lab where we study effects of Low Intensity Vibrations on cells and their potential in CAR-T Cell Therapy. I’ve also joined SBU’s Hand in Hands initiative where we help 3D print and build prosthetic hands for people in need of a much cheaper alternative. On top of this I’m an RA in Lauterbur Hall so keep an eye out for my events ;). In my free time I really enjoy practicing my guitar (I’ve definitely improved from last year’s eboard intro), swimming, and watching my current favorite show: Abbott Elementary!

Vice President: Julia Capobianco

Hi! My name is Julia and I am a senior studying biomedical engineering and applied mathematics. I have been a part of BMES since freshman year, and have gained some of my closest friends through it! Outside of school, I play for the club lacrosse team at Stony Brook and work as a business development engineer intern at a medical device manufacturing company called Precipart. I am excited to see what else this year has in store for BMES!

Treasurer: Faith Fernandez

Hi everyone! My name is Faith Fernandez and I am a senior studying Biomedical Engineering on the cellular/molecular track. My goal is to go to medical school after my undergraduate education and eventually become an anesthesiologist.

I like to stay busy, so outside of school I work three jobs: one at Orlin & Cohen, another at a poké and ramen restaurant, and as a tutor for middle and high school students. I like having multiple jobs in different environments because I feel like it helps me develop my communication skills and overall helps me be more adaptable. On campus, I am a WISE mentor and the treasurer of BMES. In my free time, I like to listen to The Weeknd, bake, play tennis, and go to the gym. I’m excited to be in charge of the money this year as treasurer and I can’t wait to see everyone at our events!

Secretary: Aditi Kaveti

Hi everyone! My name is Aditi Kaveti, and I am a senior double majoring in  Biomedical Engineering and Applied Mathematics. After graduation, I hope to attend medical school and pursue a career as a radiologist. I am also the President of the Student Leadership Council of WISE, and am a part of Dr. Gergen’s lab, studying gene expression of the Drosophila embryo. I have been part of BMES since my freshman year, and I am excited to continue on the board this year!

2022-2023 Extended-Executive Board

Social Chair: Pola Urmanski

Hello! I am Pola and I am a Sophomore Biomedical Engineering Major at Stony Brook University on the cellular/molecular track. I am this year’s Social Chair and I hope to host lots of fun events throughout the year for the club. My goal in the future is to get into medical school and become a doctor. Over the breaks I have started to work as a medical assistant and have gained some great experience.

Outside of BMES I like to sail on fridays with the Stony Brook Sailing club and play tennis on the weekends with the Stony Brook Tennis club. When I’m not studying for my BME or pre med classes I’m crocheting or hanging out with my friends. I’m excited to create social events for the club this year and hope to see everyone having a great time!

Professional Development Chair: Abigail Masri

Hio! I’m Abby, the professional development chair for this year. I’m a junior concentrating in Cellular and Molecular biology and am currently doing protein structure research in the Glynn laboratory. In addition to BMES, I am also an active brother of Theta Tau the co-ed professional engineering fraternity on campus. After graduation, I hope to pursue my Ph.D. in either biochemistry or molecular biology and conduct agricultural research. In my free time, I enjoy going on nature walks and caring for my (extremely too large for West apartments) plant collection. Outside of geeking out about plants and biology, I also have a minor addiction to the 2012 video game ARK. Yes, the one with the dinosaurs. I look forward to organizing some awesome events and meeting everyone in the BME major!

Academic Chair: Isha Oza

Hi everyone! My name is Isha Oza and I am a senior majoring in biomedical engineering with a specialization in biomechanics & biomaterials. My long term career goal is to pursue a career with a business aspect combined with the healthcare industry. I am currently an intern for Enzo Life Sciences as well as the Vice President of Pakistani Students Association. I look forward to serving as the academic chair of BMES this year and hope to see you at future events!

General Body Meeting Chair: Dinubasri Kumaridurivan

Hello! I’m Dinubasri Kumariduraivan and I am a freshman majoring in Biomedical Engineering on the premed track. I am excited to be the GBM chair for BMES. Can’t wait for all the upcoming events and I am looking forward to this year!

Outreach Chair: Anirudh Krishnan

Hello Everyone! My name is Anirudh Krishnan and I am the current BMES Outreach Chairperson. I am a sophomore Biomedical Engineering major on the Cellular and Molecular Track. I currently work in Dr. Chan’s Lab in both the EEG and LIV (Low-Intensity Vibration) Project. I also work with Dr. Li (Stony Brook Medicine Neurology Department) and Dr. Hassan Arbab (Biomedical Engineering Department) on different projects as well. I love tutoring (ASTC and RTC) students and help them succeed in their classes. In addition, I am a Mental Health CPO Peer Educator, a representative for the Academic Review Committee for USG, and a Public Relations Coordinator for the Lauterbur Hall Council.

Historian: Christian Acuña

Hello! My name is Christian Acuña and I am a senior in biomedical engineering, specializing in biomechanics and biomaterials, and also pursuing a minor in mechanical engineering. I transferred into SBU last year after getting an associates degree through Rockland Community College’s honors program, choosing BME through a mixed interest/enjoyment of biology and physics.

I spend most of my time surrounded by music, be it studying, singing or dancing. I competitively dance as a part of the SBU Ballroom team, where I am also a public relations specialist as a part of their e-board. In my free time I enjoy dnd, cooking, singing and anyone who spends enough time with me will know I’m an absolute cat person and that I’m pretty decent at taking photos.

In the future I’d love to work with prosthetics in any way, however anything relating mechanical forces to implants or biological tissue really catches my interest. I look forward to my first year as a part of BMES as their historian and getting to know the rest of the BMES crew. If you see me taking pictures, don’t forget to smile!

2021-2022 Executive Board

President: Mickey Yu

Hello everyone! My name is Mickey Yu and I am the President of BMES. I am a fourth year Biomedical Engineering student specializing in the cellular and molecular track. However, I have one more year to go to complete the 5-year B.S/M.S BME program at Stony Brook University. Currently, I work in Dr. Rubenstein’s lab on an inflammation and extrinsic coagulation project. I have strong interests in genetic engineering, tissue engineering, cancer-on-a-chip, and cardiovascular diseases. I am on the pre-med track, therefore, hoping to get into med school after getting my master’s degree.

I do find the time to invest into my hobbies. I was part of the Stony Brook Badminton Team for the last three years. Therefore, you would usually be able to find me on the MAC courts playing badminton, if I am not napping or studying. I love learning languages to communicate to all kinds of people out there so I got a Korean Studies minor. I also love learning and looking at art, especially Impressionist paintings. 

BMES has been a wonderful and supportive family for me, for most of my undergraduate career. I hope we can provide you with the same experience and opportunities! Please don’t be afraid to talk to me or any other eboard member about anything. I’ll see you around!

Vice President: Michael Ly

Hi there! My name is Michael Ly and I am a fourth-year biomedical engineering student specializing in biomechanics and biomaterials. Currently, I work in Dr. Rubenstein’s lab to develop tissue-engineered kidneys under various flow conditions; however, several of my other interests include neuroprosthetics, brain-computer interfaces, wearable technology, and medical device innovation. As such, I am a strong advocate for STEM-based education for kids of diverse backgrounds through novel BME programs like ‘DIY Prosthetics’.

In my free time, I am an avid fan of origami design, filmmaking (hence why I have a FLM minor), and recently skateboarding. As this year’s Vice President, I hope to develop this organization through exciting and engaging events to help you all professionally grow. Please reach out to me if you ever need advice or simply wish to chat about any of the work or hobbies I follow!

Treasurer: Joshua Goodman

My name is Josh and I am the Treasurer of BMES. I’m a Senior Applied Math and Biology double major with a minor in Bioengineering. Though I am pre-med, I have always had a ton of interest in the more quantitative sciences, which is what led me to my minor in Bioengineering and BMES. I took my MCAT this past May and am currently in the process of applying to medical school!

For research, I work with Professor Matthew Reuter to examine the Complex Band Structure for various materials. I also am a member of the Phi Delta Epsilon medical fraternity and have been an EMT and Port Jefferson EMS for the past 3.5 years. In my free time, I love jamming out to heavy metal music and attending concerts whenever I get the chance.

BMES has been an amazing opportunity for me to meet some amazing people and strengthen some already existing friendships. I hope that you get out of our organization everything you wish, whether it be increased career opportunities or just the chance to relax with some fellow BME students after a long day of classes. If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out to either me or any of our other e-board members. I hope you have a great year!

Secretary: Elpida Manolas

Hello everybody! My name is Elpida Manolas and I’m a third year Biomedical Engineering student specializing in Biomaterials & Biomechanics! I’m currently working in Dr. Chan’s lab, studying the effects of low intensity vibrations on T-Cells which is actually a lot more interesting than you may think. Along with this I’m very interested in genetic engineering, prosthetics, and basically anything that combines medicine and today’s advancements in technology (e.g. wearable EKG monitors).

Aside from all things engineering I really enjoy playing the guitar, skateboarding, practicing my Greek, and finding new things to do that I’ve never done before. I’m always super open to trying new foods, going to new places, and spending my time learning new things! I’m also an RA in Lauterbur Hall and absolutely love being involved in Stony Brook’s Community in many different ways

As this year’s secretary I really hope to strengthen the bridge between each BMES member and our E-board to ensure that you are all getting the most out of our organization! I want to expand our presence across all social media, have better communication with all of our members, and take into account all of the feedback you have for us. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions you have for us, or even any ideas for events you’d like to see us put on!

2021-2022 Extended-Executive Board

Outreach/Funding Chair: Faith Fernandez

Hi everyone! My name is Faith Fernandez and I am a junior studying Biomedical Engineering on the cellular/molecular track. My goal is to go to medical school after my undergraduate education and eventually become an anesthesiologist. Everyone loves the guy that puts you to sleep (and hopefully wakes you back up)!

I like to stay busy, so outside of school I work at Orlin & Cohen, an affiliate of Northwell, as a Practice Office Associate, and in the kitchen at a poké and ramen restaurant as a “cook.” Cook in quotes because really, I know nothing about cooking. I like having multiple jobs in different environments because I feel like it helps me develop my communication and professional skills and overall be more adaptable. On campus, I am a UGTA for introductory physics labs and outreach chair of BMES. In my free time, I like to relax and listen to music (mainly The Weeknd), bake, play tennis, and practice guitar. As this year’s outreach chair, I hope to coordinate fun and informational events with individuals and organizations outside of our Stony Brook community and help to expand our network and establish connections. I can’t wait to see everyone at our events!

Professional Development Chair: Aditi Kaveti

Hi everyone! My name is Aditi Kaveti and I am the Professional Development Chair of BMES! I am a junior double majoring in Biomedical Engineering and Applied Mathematics and Statistics, currently on the pre-med track. I hope to attend medical school and specialize in diagnostic radiology. I am the secretary on the Student Leadership Council for the Women in Science and Engineering Honors Program, and I love helping to create a community for girls in STEM because I know how hard it can be. I also conduct research in the Gergen lab where I am studying gene expression, and lastly, I am a research highlight writer for Stony Brook Young Investigators Review, where I write articles on novel scientific research with a special interest in allergy cures and immunology (mostly because I myself am allergic to a million different things).

Outside of school, I love playing the piano! I grew up learning and performing classical music, but now that I’m older, I like teaching myself old classics and having my sister sing along as I play. I’m also big into reading, right now I’m working through Reese’s Book Club Picks because Reese Witherspoon has the best recommendations. My favorite book is probably A Thousand Splendid Suns, but my current read is Seven Days in June. 

As Professional Development Chair, I hope to plan events that our members find helpful to their future career. I’m really excited for this year, and can’t wait to get back to more in person events!

GBM Chair: Alvin Chung

Greetings. My name is Alvin Chung, and I am a sophomore studying Biomedical Engineering. I would like to become a doctor in the future and specialize in dermatology or orthopedics. 

As the GBM Coordinator, it is my job to make our General Body Meetings exciting to attend. I want it to be a place where the club can interact comfortably with each other through various activities planned in under an hour. Come to out events 

In my free time I love to learn the Korean language and culture. As a person who grew up in the United States, I wanted to understand where my family came from. That’s why I take the time to practice new phrases, read Korean webcomics, and expose myself to the wonders of Korean culture. I also like exercising, listening to Lo-Fi music, and appreciating digital art. On campus, I am a UGTA for General Chemistry and the Treasurer of Whitman Hall Council. 

Please come out to our amazing meeting. Feel free to reach out to me, or anyone else on the Eboard if you have questions or concerns about anything you have.

Social Chair: Susan Wu

Hi everyone! My name is Susan Wu and I’m the current social chair of BMES. I am a senior Biomedical Engineering major on the cellular and molecular track. After graduation, I will be attending Stony Brook medical school, so you’ll still be seeing me around! 

In the past I’ve participated in research involving lipid nanoparticle synthesis for CRISPR/Cas9 delivery as well as fMRI imaging as a tool of monitoring changes in brain function in patients with breast cancer undergoing chemotherapy. 

Outside of lab, you can find me tutoring organic chemistry, cheffing it up in the kitchen, practicing Japanese with friends, or playing piano. I’m also currently working on getting my phlebotomist certification! As social chair, I hope to facilitate more networking and communication between members of BMES, as well as plan fun events to help students destress during the semester. I hope to meet everyone at our future events, and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!

Academic Chair: Julia Capobianco

Hey guys! My name is Julia Capobianco and I am a junior studying Biomedical Engineering and Applied Mathematics & Statistics. I currently work in Dr. Chan’s lab developing a feedback-controlled software mechanism to grow cells in biotechnology experiments, specifically immunotherapy. I have an interest in the administrative side of engineering and one day hope to be a project manager. Girl bosses only!

Aside from academics, I am on the e-board for Stony Brook’s Women’s Club Lacrosse team and am an RA in Kelly Quad. I also work as a marketing intern for Stony Brook Athletics, which gives me a nice break from STEM activities. I enjoy sporting events, traveling, and eating good food (Italian and Greek are my favorite). As this year’s Academic Chair, I hope to host fun events that showcase the academic realm of BME in a fun, innovative way. Stony Brook can be a very competitive and overwhelming school, but together we can make the best of our time here. Don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions. We look forward to having you at our events!

2020-2021 Executive Board

President: Mickey Yu

Hey there! My name is Mickey Yu and I am the president of BMES. I am a junior in biomedical engineering on the cellular and molecular track and planning a minor in Korean studies. I want to pursue a career as a physician and have started on the pre-medicine track. One of the first steps I have recently made towards this goal is working as a medical assistant in pediatrics. Currently, I am conducting research in Dr. Rubenstein’s lab on 3D bioprinting. I aspire to launch a fulfilling career as a researcher, engineer, and physician. In my free time, I will most likely be found at the REC, playing badminton for fun and for competition. However, due to COVID, I am spending more and more time on hiking instead. 

Vice President: Alexander Maus

Alexander is a Junior BME/AMS Double Major specializing in biomechanics/biomaterials.  This is his second year on BMES’ E-Board, and he will be our Vice President.  While on campus, he has kept involved in the BME and bioengineering communities, acting as Secretary of BMES last year and participating on the Stony Brook iGEM team Freshman and Sophomore year.  As VP, he hopes to continue to increase the club’s interaction amongst its members despite the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

Treasurer: Joshua Goodman

Hi! My name is Josh Goodman and I’m the Treasurer of BMES. I’m an AMS and BIO double major with a minor in Bioengineering! My aspiration is and has always been to become a doctor, but here at Stony Brook I have discovered a love for mathematics and I am now pursuing this minor which combines both of my interests in a tangible way. On the side, I currently work with AMS Professor Reuter trying to derive Complex Band Structure for dendritic materials. In my free time, I love to just jam out to music (especially heavy metal) or play some video games.

Secretary: Elpida Manolas

Hi everyone! My name is Elpida Manolas and I am the new secretary of BMES. I am a sophomore Biomedical Engineering student with a planned specialization in biomechanics and biomaterials. I’m really hoping to pursue a masters degree in BME and then go into a career as an engineer, going further into tissue regeneration and prosthetics if possible. I’m excited to be in my second year as part of BMES and can’t wait to see what this year brings us. In my free time I love to bike and swim, but now being inside for so long I’m trying to learn guitar and discover new music. 

2020-2021 Extended-Executive Board

Outreach/Funding Chair: TBD

Hi everyone! My name is Aditi Kaveti and I am the Professional Development Chair of BMES. I’m currently a sophomore majoring in Biomedical Engineering on the Cellular and Molecular track. In the future, I hope to attend medical school and become an interventional radiologist. Outside of my major, I really enjoy writing for Stony Brook Young Investigators Review and being a part of Taandava, Stony Brook’s first Indian classical dance team! I’m also participating in Professor Dr. Gergen’s research of the developmental genetic framework of the Drosophila embryo and the investigation of the regulation of gene expression.This past summer, I spent a lot of time paddle boarding and hiking with my family!

Student Seminar Series Project Manager: Michael Ly

Hi everyone! I hope all of you are having a safe time in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. My name is Michael Ly and I am your GBM coordinator for this year. A little about myself: I am a third year BME student specializing in biomechanics and biomaterials, I currently work under Dr. Rubenstein’s VIP team for tissue-engineering kidney organoids, and my future ambitions is to garner a deeper understanding of regenerative medicine to ultimately develop a prototype artificial limb or even organ. Outside of the educational aspect of my life, I enjoy spending my time binge-watching sci-fi TV shows like Black Mirror and practicing basic origami models. If you’re interested in presenting in one of the meetings or just want to chat, feel free to contact me!

Social Chair: Susan Wu

Hi everyone! My name is Susan Wu and I am a current junior majoring in Biomedical Engineering, specializing in Cellular and Molecular Biomedical Engineering. I am also on the PreMed track. I am currently conducting research in the McKinnon lab and Stony Brook Hospital Radiology Department on the usage of fMRI to identify changes in cerebral vasculature as a result of chemotherapy drugs that contribute to cognitive decline. My goal is to one day work as a physician working at the interface of cutting edge biomedical innovation and patient care. For fun, I enjoy learning new languages and trying new recipes.

Academic Chair: Julia Capobianco

Hey everyone! My name is Julia Capobianco and I hold the academic chair position for BMES. I am a sophomore biomedical engineering major in the WISE Honor’s program from Massapequa Park, New York. Since coming to Stony Brook, I have gained a great interest in the accelerated BE,MS program, which would allow me to enter the industry field in a total of five years. For now, I spend a lot of my time working for Stony Brook Athletics and serving on the executive board for WISE as well as the women’s club lacrosse team. I have also recently started doing research with Professor Dr.Chan studying T-cell activation due to low intensity vibrations. In my free time, I really enjoy going on walks and hanging out with friends on campus. Welcome to BMES! 

2019-2020 Executive Board

President: Mickey Yu

My name is Mickey Yu and I am the new president of BMES. I am a sophomore in biomedical engineering on the cellular and molecular track and planning a minor in Korean studies. I am very excited for my first Korean course this semester. I participated in the Polymers REU program at Case Western Reserve University this summer and I want to continue researching during the fall semester. I finally decided that I want to pursue a career as a physician and have started on the pre-medicine track. I aspire to launch a fulfilling career as a researcher, engineer, and physician. In my free time, I will most likely be found at the REC, playing badminton for fun and for competition. 

Vice President: Liliana Henriquez

Hello! My name is Liliana Henriquez and I am the Vice President of BMES. Last year, I had the opportunity to be the Academic Chair. I am a senior double majoring in Biomedical Engineering and Applied Math and Statistics. My specialization is in biomechanics and biomaterials. After graduating, I hope to design medical devices in the industry specifically in the biomechanics field. Outside of school, I enjoy swimming, playing lacrosse, camping, and baking. 

Treasurer: Elvis J. Carrillo

Hey! My name is Elvis and I am the Treasurer of BMES. I am currently part of a research team exploring tissue engineering kidneys with a regenerative approach. I am a sophomore matriculating in engineering science with an emphasis in biomaterials. I hope to continue to do research into engineering in regenerative medicine following the culmination of my current project. In my spare time I like to go hiking. 

Secretary: Alex Maus

My name is Alex Maus and I am the new secretary of BMES.  I am a sophomore Biomedical Engineering student with a specialization in biomechanics and biomaterials.  This past summer, I had the privilege of being a member of Stony Brook’s iGEM team, which is a student led, synthetic biology research competition culminating with a jamboree, where my team and I get to present our research and compete for medals against other teams worldwide.  I hope to pursue a career in prosthetics post-graduation. In my free time, you might find me working out at the REC or playing sports with my friends.

2019-2020 Extended-Executive Board

Outreach/Funding Chair: Younis Zaokari

Hello! My name is Younis Zaokari. I am the Outreach/Fundraising chair of the BMES. I am a pre-med student in my junior year studying both Biomedical Engineering on the molecular and cellular track and Applied Mathematics and Statistics. I am currently participating in a Biodesign internship under the supervision of Dr. Judex. On-campus I am also the vice president of the Muslim Students Association and a member of the Arabic Language and Culture Club. Additionally, I am a study abroad alumnus of the Tanzania program and a Gilman scholar. My future plans include going to medical school and becoming a cardiothoracic surgeon. Outside of academia, I enjoy playing soccer and swimming.  

Professional Development Chair: Sarah Spinelli

Hi! My name is Sarah Spinelli and I am the new Professional Development Chair. I am a sophomore majoring in biomedical engineering, with a specialization in biomechanics and biomaterials. I am also minoring in nanotechnology! I am very interested in regenerative medicine, and plan to work in an industry after I obtain my masters degree. In fact, I am currently working on a research project involving regenerative medicine, more specifically the tissue engineering of kidneys. I am also an undergraduate teaching assistant for BIO 202. 

Hi everyone! My name is Michael Ly and I am this year’s Student Seminar Series (formerly Journal Club) Chair. My role in BMES is to provide students the opportunity to practice their public speaking in front of interested peers. As of now, I am a sophomore BME major focused on bio-mechanics and bio-materials working under Dr. Rubenstein’s VIP team. My future ambition is to garner a deeper understanding of regenerative medicine to ultimately develop a prototype artificial limb or even organ. Outside of the educational aspect of my life, I enjoy spending my time binge-watching sci-fi TV shows like Black Mirror and practicing basic origami models. If you’re interested in presenting in one of my SSS meets or just want to chat, feel free to contact me!

Social Chair: Susan Wu

I’m Susan Wu and I’m the social chair for BMES, which makes me responsible for planning and organizing some of the fun social events here on campus! I’m a sophomore BME major working towards the specialization in cellular and molecular engineering, also on the pre-med track. My dream is to be a physician scientist, where I can bridge the gap between advancements developed in the lab and therapies for patients. I work in Stony Brook Medicine in the McKinnon-Rosati Lab, where I study the effect of chemotherapy on brain structure using fMRI technology, but I also hope to research more in the field of CRISPR/Cas9 genetic engineering, which is a major academic passion of mine. Outside of the lab, you can usually find me playing piano, reading, and tutoring chemistry and physics. 

Social Chair: Elpida Manolas

Hello! My name is Elpida Manolas and I am Co-Social Chair for BMES. I’m a freshman Biomedical Engineering major planning on taking a pre-med track with a possible minor in nanotechnology. In the near future I hope to join a research team and work in a laboratory, but for now I’m part of my building’s hall council as an RHA senator, as well as on the path to becoming a UGC fellow. Outside of class I love listening to all types of music, biking, swimming, and cooking.

Academic Chair: Joshua Goodman

Hi! My name is Josh Goodman and I’m the Academic Chair of BMES. I’m an AMS and BIO double major with a minor in Bioengineering! My aspiration is and has always been to become a doctor, but here at Stony Brook I have discovered a love for mathematics and I am now pursuing this minor which combines both of my interests in a tangible way. On the side, I currently work with AMS Professor Reuter trying to derive Complex Band Structure for dendritic materials. In my free time, I love to just jam out to music (especially heavy metal) or play some video games.

2018-2019 Executive Board

President: Eva Gallegos

Hey! My name is Eva and I am the president of BMES. I am a senior in biomedical engineering on the cellular and molecular track and am minoring in music. I am currently researching in Dr. Frame’s lab, specifically studying changes in red blood cells with response to increases in temperature in an attempt to explain thermal burn injury progression. Ultimately, my goal is to become a physician so I plan on attending medical school. On campus, I also work as a chair for SHPE and am a member of WISE, through which I serve as a mentor for freshmen in BME and an instructor for a middle school science & engineering program. Music has been an important part of my life, and I enjoy working as a violin and piano teacher and playing with the University Orchestra.

Vice President: Abdullah Mohammed Rizvi

Hi! I am Abdullah. I am the Vice President and the Event chair of the BMES. Previously I have had the opportunity of being the treasurer of the BMES. I am a senior focusing on Bio-imaging and signals track in BME with a second major in Applied Mathematics and statistics and a minor in  Electrical Engineering. After graduation, I would like to attend graduate school to pursue Ph.D. in Medical Physics. Currently, I am doing research for the Radiology Department with Dr. Terry Button on early Breast cancer detection with the use of DIRI and Biomedical Engineering Department for Dr. Chan on ‘Lab in a Cube’. Outside of school and work, my interests include hiking, mountain climbing, cooking and reading thriller novel.

Treasurer: Timothy Darby

Hello! My name is Tim Darby and I am the treasurer for BMES. I am responsible for handling our USG-funded budget and allocating funds for our many wonderful events on campus. I am a senior in the biomedical engineering program, with a specialization in cellular and molecular engineering. I work in Stony Brook Medicine in the Dr. Obeid ‘Lipid Cancer Lab’ investigating how different bioactive lipids contribute to cancer metabolism. Outside of academic pursuits, I am a basketball fanatic and love to play intramural volleyball. After graduation, I plan on attending medical school and pursuing my dream of working in oncology.

Secretary: Krishangi Krishna

Hello! I am the secretary for BMES and in charge of sending you those lovely weekly emails regarding our club’s events. I am currently a senior specializing in cellular and molecular engineering and working in Dr. Brouzes microfluidics lab to find alternatives to PDMS for dPCR. After graduation, I plan on working towards my PhD degree. My other interests lie in electrical engineering: you may find me at the SAC working as an Audio/Visual technician and manager for all major events regarding wires, microphones, projectors, etc. Outside of work, I enjoy doing yoga, practicing the piano (if I can ever find the time), cooking, and meeting new people. So come to our events and make some new friends!

2018-2019 Extended-Executive Board

Outreach Chair: Shahajahan Chowdhury

Hey everyone! My name is hard to pronounce, so you can call me Shah for short. I am a senior Biomedical Engineering student with a Cellular/Molecular specialization track. My plan after graduation is to attend medical school. I am currently interested in computational fluid dynamics of atherosclerosis with Dr. Yin. I am in charge of fundraising for biomedical causes such as A Leg To Stand On (ALTSO), and promoting biomedical engineering in schools across Long Island. In my spare time, I enjoy writing for newsletters on campus and discussing politics and religion. I’m also an avid fan of dank memes, and I enjoy making the most out of every situation through humor.

Professional Development Chair: Daniel Mahoney

My name is Daniel Mahoney. I am the Professional Development Chair of the BMES, President of The Society of Young Entrepreneurs, and a member of Phi Delta Epsilon International Medical Fraternity. As a passionate pre-medical student at Stony Brook University, I am looking to apply knowledge and learn more about mathematical modeling and creative design techniques to improve medical procedures, research, business and equipment functionality. Special interests in diagnostics, business development, research and development, digital design, applied behavioral analysis and statistical analysis for the validation of claims. Bioimaging/Bioelectricity track and dual major with AMS.

Student Seminar Series Project Manager: Daniel Moore Jr.

My name is Daniel Moore Jr. I am the Journal Club manager for the Stony Brook University chapter of the Biomedical Engineering Society. I am currently in my Senior year of the undergraduate BME program at Stony Brook University and my specialization is in biomechanics and biomaterials. I also volunteer/intern in the BME department at Stony Brook Medicine where I am gaining hands on experience for electrical maintenance and repairs.

Social Chair: Mickey Yu

Hey there! My name is Mickey Yu and I am the social chair of BMES. Yes, I am the one who plans and organizes all those fun events that you guys enjoy. I am a freshman in biomedical engineering, planning to dedicate myself to the cellular and molecular track. I have a lot of academic aspirations for my college life such dual majoring with applied math and statistics, minoring in Korean studies, and study abroad. I am very interesting in patent law, however, I have yet to eliminate becoming a physician as a career. Most of my free time is spent on sleeping, reading paranormal romance novels, or playing badminton in the REC. I am on the Stony Brook Badminton team.

Academic Chair: Liliana Henriquez

Hello! My name is Liliana Henriquez and I am the academic chair of BMES. I am responsible for organizing and hosting our academic events. I am a junior double majoring in biomedical engineering and applied math and statistics. My specialization is in biomechanics and biomaterials. Outside of school, I enjoy swimming, playing lacrosse, and baking.

Marketing Chair: Rashad Saleem

Hello! My name is Rashad Saleem and I am the Marketing Chair for BMES. I am responsible for making sure that people know about our events and that we are accessible.  I am a senior in the biomedical engineering program, with a specialization in cellular and molecular engineering. When I am not in school, I work on the weekends at my retail job and help my family by doing chores around the house.

2018-2019 Faculty Advisor

Dr. Wei Yin-Rubenstein

2015-2016 Executive Board

• President: Gabe Ruttner
  • Academic & Outreach VP: Shipra Arjun
  • Professional & Social VP: Ravi Patel
  • Treasurer: Adiba Chowdhury
  • Secretary: Amy Young
  • Academic Chair: Milan Gunasekera
  • Outreach Chair: Gita Vikram
  • Outreach Chair: Manasvi Varshney
  • Professional Development Chair: Sofya Pugach
  • Professional Development Chair: Christopher Balzano
  • Social Chair & Roth Regatta Coordinator: Amna Haider
  • Graduate representative: Samantha Rossano
  • Communications Secretary: Samantha Weber-Fishkin
  • Public Relations: Sarah Heacox
  • Webmaster: Juan Bastidas
  • E-Ball Representative: Michael Witherspoon
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Wei Yin-Rubenstein

2014-2015 Executive Board

• President: Arnavi Varshney
  • Academic & Social VP: Christina Snyder
  • Outreach & Professional VP: Gabe Ruttner
  • Treasurer: John Medamana
  • Secretary: Samantha Rossano
  • Academic Chair: Shruti Parikh
  • Outreach Chair: Shipra Arjun
  • Professional Development Chair: Vinosh Mathuranayagam
  • Professional Development Chair: Ravi Patel
  • Social Chair: Manasvi Varshney
  • Graduate representative: Mariana Miranda
  • Communications Secretary: Amy Young
  • Public Relations: Adiba Chowdhury
  • Webmaster: Sofya Pugach
  • E-Ball Representative: Amna Haider

2013-2014 Executive Board

• Co-President: Muhammed Kandeel Javid
  • Co-President: Arnavi Varshney
  • Vice-President: Christina Synder
  • Treasurer: Raeish Hinson
  • Secretary: Mariana Miranda
  • Internal Commucation Secretary: Morgan Teeratananon
  • Public Relations: Samantha Rossano
  • Academic Chair: Shruti Parikh
  • Industry Chair: Amit Guruprasad
  • Social Chair: John Medamana
  • Co-Outreach Chair: Gabriel Ruttner
  • Outreach Chair/Webmaster: Arely Clavel

2012-2013 Executive Board

• President: Sowmya Sundaresh
  • Vice-President: Michele Cheung
  • Treasurer: Muhammed Kandeel Javid
  • Secretary (1): Christina Snyder
  • Secretary (2): Arnavi Varshney
  • Webmaster: Jashna Benday
  • Internal Commucation Secretary: Arely Clavel
  • Social Chair: Arnavi Varshney
  • Graduate Representative: Steve Leigh
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Emilia Entcheva

2011-2012 Executive Board

• President: Sowmya Sundaresh
  • Vice-President: Margaret Evans
  • Treasurer: Michelle Cheung
  • Secretary: Kathryn Small
  • Webmaster (1): Ram Proshad Ghosh
  • Webmaster (2): Cheng Qian
  • Internal Commucation: Mika Lai
  • Communication Secretary: Christina Snyder
  • Social Chair: Vihita Patel
  • Graduate Representative: Steve Leigh
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Emilia Entcheva

2010-2011 Executive Board

• President: Margaret Evans
  • Vice-President: Erica Palma
  • Treasurer: Sowmya Sundaresh
  • Secretary: Rahul Mehta
  • Communications Secretary (1): Cookie Yu
  • Communications Secretary (2): Marek Lhotak
  • Chief Technical Officer: Mika Lai
  • Webmaster: Ada Tsoi
  • Social Chair: Kushagra Singhal
  • E-Ball Representative: Antonio Wong
  • Graduate Representative: Steve Leigh
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Emilia Entcheva

2009-2010 Executive Board

• President: Kathleen Burke
  • Vice-President: Elizabeth Fievisohn
  • Treasurer: Erica Palma
  • Secretary: Margaret Evans
  • Communications Secretary: Dan DeDora
  • Chief Technical Officer: Richard Hill
  • Webmaster: Ada Tsoi
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Emilia Entcheva

2008-2009 Executive Board

• President: Matthew Mancuso
  • Vice-President: Hala Mostafa
  • Treasurer: Kathleen Burke
  • Secretary: Margaret Evans
  • Social Chair: Elizabeth Fievisohn
  • Webmaster: Jeryes Frieh
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Emilia Entcheva

2007-2008 Executive Board

• President: Ujas Shah
  • Vice President: Hala Mostafa
  • Treasurer: Adriana Gomez
  • Secretary: Karin Wang
  • Social Chair: Matthew Mancuso
  • Webmaster: Ravi Desai

2004-2005 Executive Board

• President: Sailaja Akella
  • Vice President: Debolina Kowshik
  • Treasurer: Muhammad Parvaz
  • Secretary: Lamya Karim
  • Social Chair: Eduardo Vargas
  • Webmaster: Jenn Looi
  • Faculty Advisor: Dr. Michael Hadjiargyrou

2003-2004 Executive Board

• President: David Rubenstein
  • Vice President: Maricris Silva
  • Treasurer: Debolina Kowshik
  • Secretary: Sailaja Akella
  • Social Chair: Anita Cheruvanky
  • Webmaster: Endna Choi