“Suspicious?” Suspicious.

Word now is that they’re investigating the “suspicious” nature of the fire yesterday. (I think that sounds more malicious than it actually is, but I guess that remains to be seen.) Credit the firefighters who got everything under control quickly, and credit the fire alarm and sprinkler system for alerting people to get out quickly and safely. Six apartments were extensively damaged, displacing seventeen students.

I immediately think back to the Seton Hall fire in 2000 that killed three students; it’s really important that students take fire safety seriously. I know that fire drills are hokey, but it really, honestly is important that students know how to get out if they have to. We had a residence hall fire at my college when I was an undergrad that started in a laundry room, and everyone got out orderly and easily (and spent the night in a dining hall), and everything worked out okay; but you have to be aware that when you’re living with other people, strange things happen. Like anywhere else you live, you need to be aware of your surroundings and be vigilant to what’s going on.