Men’s Lacrosse!

I’m a baseball fan. As such, there’s not a whole lot of space in my life for other sports. Sure, I watch the Celtics, and I follow the Jets and Flyers (in name, anyway), but the rest of the sporting world is largely a mystery to me.

But there’s something about being part of a winning tradition that will make you do crazy things — like get into lacrosse. I can’t claim that I know much about the sport, but I do know that it’s an exciting time to be a part of our men’s lacrosse program right now. To wit:

• Despite a tough, one-goal, season-opening loss to #1-ranked Virginia, the Seawolves have won three straight and is now ranked fifth in the country, heading down to face Towson this weekend.
  • From an interview on ESPN.com this week:
    • Where is the toughest place to play?
      Former MLL All-Star Brett Hughes: I watch Stony Brook and it seems like that’s a pretty wild environment. I’ve heard that can be rough.
  • Four of the 48 players chosen in this winter’s Major League Lacrosse Draft are Stony Brook Seawolves, including #1 overall pick Kevin Crowley, along with Jordan McBride, Tom Compitello, Adam Rand.
  • Those four players were also named to the Tewaaraton Award watch list; the award is given annually to the top collegiate lacrosse player.  (Crowley was also a finalist last spring.)

All in all, a good time to be a Seawolf! Here’s the rest of the schedule for the spring:

03/19/11     at Towson      1:00 p.m.
03/22/11     vs. Cornell     7:00 p.m.
03/26/11     vs. Bryant     1:00 p.m.

04/01/11     vs. UMBC     7:00 p.m.
04/09/11     at Hartford    7:00 p.m.
04/16/11     vs. Binghamton    7:00 p.m.
04/23/11     vs. Albany     7:00 p.m.
04/30/11     at Vermont     3:00 p.m.

That’s a lot of home games, which means a lot of chances to get your red on! I’ll see you at the stadium!