Looking From the Outside In

Stranger Series

Head Bop

Stoner Rock

Roommate Series

The Nerd

The Taylor Fan

The Doctor

Self Series

Ready to Kill

Flying

Checking In

What I discovered as a Portrait Photographer

I can say that I learned three major things from this portraiture assignment. The first was when photographing a stranger. I thought this was the easier part of the assignment because I am not afraid to talk to random people. I think its cool to to able to talk to random strangers and find out their story, what they were up to in that moment. When working with my roommates, I thought it was a little more difficult because I wanted to pinpoint one exact trait from them. Living with these guys for two years allowed me to take what I know and capture it in one picture. The hardest part of this assignment was the self-portraiture. I definitely immediately thought of the themes for my photos but the execution was the difficult part. Each photo implemented a different aspect of what we learned through the still-life project. Constantly adjusting the aperture mode to get the photo in the dark room just to extenuate the light of the peripherals took a while. For the pool photo, it took many different iterations until I found the one I was satisfied with. The shutter speed had to be raised up to the point that my ISO was not high enough and to get the shot, I needed to sacrifice some quality to get it. Overall it was a fun project where I got to play around with all my equipment.