Defend Dreamers: A Pro-DACA Argument

For my argument paper, I chose to write about DACA or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. It is an executive action policy established under the Obama Administration back in 2012 and allows immigrants who entered the country as minors to renewable period of deferred action from deportation and eligibility for a work permit. DACA provides no path to citizenship and late last year (September 2017) the Trump administration began taking initiatives to phase it out. This has been a huge issue in America the past couple of month and has sparked many protests in favor of keeping DACA in place to protect Dreamers (participating individuals).  I chose this topic because I come from a family of Mexican immigrants. The majority of DACA recipients are Latinos, though there are many from Asian countries as well such as South Korea. It’s very important because there are so many Dreamers in the country who are facing challenges and discrimination and will face even more if DACA is phased out by Trump’s administration. It gives young men and women an opportunity to work and study here in the United States. Most of these individuals didn’t get a say in whether they wanted to emigrate, and most don’t know any other home than this one.  I think whether you’re pro-DACA or anti-DACA, it’s important to keep an open mind and be sympathetic towards these individuals who are going through a difficult time. In terms of the points I will be arguing, DACA actually has many economic benefits such as labor participation and rise in wages. It also helps mental health overall in the individuals who are eligible, as well as their family members. There is also no evidence that DACA recipients commit more crimes than native-born Americans, as they would not be eligible if they had a criminal record. To back up my claims, I will mostly use facts, statistics and research studies to show the benefits of DACA. I will also try and appeal to my audience by trying to get them to sympathize with Dreamers. America has had mass immigration since colonial times and Dreamers simply want to be contributing citizens and achieve a better life. In terms of counterarguments, an obvious one I will face is that Dreamers are stealing jobs from native-born Americans. Other counterarguments I will face are: Dreamers are criminals, DACA will encourage more illegal immigration, is a violation of the law and is unfair to young Americans starting out. However, I believe I have enough evidence to refute at least most of these claims.