Ambiguous Song – Train “Drops of Jupiter”

Drops of Jupiter is a song from 2001 that is very popular among people of all ages. Part of the reason for this song’s success is its ambiguous lyrics, which allow any listener to create their own meaning as they hear each line. The song consists of a woman’s journey through outer space after ascending into the atmosphere, dancing among the stars and planets while the narrator is on Earth, only able to imagine what sort of adventure she’s having. Personally, I love this song for its metaphorical lyrics because it gives you the sense that the woman’s soul had the time of her life touring the solar system.

The intro starts off with a simple piano with keyboard, complimenting the narrator when he introduces the story line. The music keeps a steady rhythm throughout the entirety of the song, and the instruments chosen are typical of a rock song, so what really makes this song unique is the lyrics. The music helps to carry the steady flow and transition between each line, adding emotion. Towards the end, violin is added in for even more feeling.

The singer of Train, Patrick Monahan, wrote this song in memory of his late mother who died from cancer. He stated that the first few lines of the song suddenly came to him as he slept in bed one night. This song, because of its ambiguous lyrics, can be interpreted in any way the listener wants. Popular interpretations include moving on from someone, losing an important person in your life, or about a relationship in which someone left the other behind.

I think this song is one of those songs that will stay with everyone throughout the generations because of its classic rock feel along with the beautiful lyrics it contains. Its a truly a great song with a ton of emotion. I could see this as a song that can help someone move on from a breakup, or perhaps get through losing someone in their life. A definite recommendation, Drops of Jupiter is a song that everyone should give at least one listen to.

Work Cited: Monahan, Patrick. Drops of Jupiter. Train. Columbia Records, 2001. CD.

Lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/train/dropsofjupiter.html

4 thoughts on “Ambiguous Song – Train “Drops of Jupiter”

1. Chuck.Powell@stonybrook.edu

Thanks Danny. Wow, 2001? Seems like just yesterday I heard it for the first time. How did you discover the circumstances of why Monahan wrote it? Certainly seems to explain the sensibility of the song. But you’re correct there are any number of meanings that could layered on to the music and the lyrics.

Reply
  2. Matthew.Glaser@stonybrook.edu

I can remember the summer of 2001, and first hearing this song on the radio, its a really beautiful song. I actually had forgotten all about it until Train did “soul sister” and became relevant again (at least in my mind!). In fact I have tickets to see them preform this summer at the Nikon Theater at Jones Beach! Should be awesome! Great post!

Reply
  3. Kayla Benaburger

This is such a great song. I always associate it with my older brother because it was his favorite song when it came out when we were kids. I never actually tried interpreting the lyrics though so thank you for making me think about the words more. It truly is a beautiful song with an even nicer meaning. Great reflection!

Reply
  4. Brandon.Sussman@stonybrook.edu

I didn’t recognize the song name at first but hearing the first few notes, I recognized it immediately. I never paid much attention to the lyrics–it was always just a song I heard now and then on the radio–and so I never realized the lyrics were so ambiguous. It still manages to be a powerful, moving song. The way I see it, it almost sounds like a love song at parts, but there are definitely ideas of loss present throughout. It’s truly beautiful how you can’t know exactly what the meaning is, it leaves you wondering. It would’ve been nice to hear your own personal interpretation as well. Apart from that, very good reflection!

Reply