Cyberfeminism and Digital Spaces

“Feminist Rhetorics and Interaction Design”

Sano-Franchini connects feminist rhetorics and IxD (84). She argues that both intersect, especially in “concerns for social justice” (85). She believes that “feminisms and IxD together can lead to more socially and politically conscious digital production” (85). Interaction design is defined as “how people interact with technology” (86). When merging the ideas of feminist rhetorics and interaction design, Sano-Franchini argues,“Both feminisms and IxD provide […] approaches for understanding the writing process as an embodied, even political, act” (86-7).

Sano-Franchini explores the relationship between feminism and IxD in her “Issues in Profession and Public Discourse” course (89). The course focuses on five areas: “1) What is/are feminism(s)? 2) IxD Basics; 3) Feminisms and Design; 4) Feminisms and HCI; and 5) Praxis” (90). What I found interesting is Sano-Franchini’s interest in using “slow composition” with her class (88, 92). I appreciate that it is an American Indian methodology. By diversifying the methodologies and concepts in her class, Sano-Franchini is creating an intersectional feminist and IxD environment for her students.

One group of students decided to create an application, The DownLow, about the body and sex for 8-10 year olds. Another group decided to expose double standards in pop culture with their project, Equalipop. Sano-Franchini also notes how she learned from the students as well and that she strives for a “multidirectional learning” environment, where she is a “facilitator” and not the authority (103-4).  At the end of the course, students were able to see how feminism and IxD can work together and what skills they can gain (collaboration, problem solving) that would better help them in their professional careers (106). Sano-Franchini concludes by saying that the “feminist IxD approach means consciously and intentionally drawing and learning from the history of gender inequality in designing interactions” (107).

Seeing feminism and IxD in a real world example

While reading Sano-Franchini’s article, I found myself interested in how video games could be constructed using feminism and IxD. I decided to search the internet which led me through “rabbit-holes,” including many articles and videos about how video games confine women to certain body types and expression. But I will leave this discussion for next week’s posts!

In any case, I came across a website (https://feministfrequency.com/) created by Anita Sarkeesian. I’m sad to say that before this search I did not know of either Anita Sarkeesian or her fabulous website. Why I believe Feminist Frequency is an example of a feminist digital space is not just because it is a non-profit organization, but their mission is to be “socially responsible” and educate others about intersectional issues. The site not only has articles surrounding pop culture, including TV shows and video games, but mini videos focusing on “Ordinary Women” who changed the course of history. I think the most educational section, would have to be the “Resources” page where there is a “Glossary” and list of “Media Recommendations.” This site is not only accessible to feminists, but makes the terminology accessible to those who many not be familiar with feminism (particularly in the section “Feminism 101”). If Sarkeesian and her team were not interested in facilitating a socially responsible space, they would not have not spent effort in collecting resources that educate the public about feminism and how it is a useful tool when looking at media and culture.

Side note: I also enjoy how Anita and her team use avatars to represent themselves on the website.

I encourage everyone to look at the site, if you are not already familiar with it  🙂

Citations:

Sano-Franchini, Jennifer. “Feminist Rhetorics and Interaction Design: Facilitating Socially Responsible Design.” Rhetoric and Experience Architecture. Eds. Michael Salvo and Liza J. Potts. Chapter 5. Parlor Press, 2016.  84-108.

Sarkeesian, Anita. https://feministfrequency.com/

Questions:

1. Isabella Scott writes about critiques of cyberfeminism, particularly Faith Wilding (who believed cyberfeminists should do more regarding racial bias). And Jessie Daniels argues, “The fact that race matters online, as it does offline, counters the oft-repeated assertion that cyberspace is a disembodied realm where gendered and racialized bodies can be left behind” (116). Do you think Feminist Frequency allows for a discussion of other issues, including racial prejudice, in a feminist digital space?
  2. Are there other sites or spaces that have a similar mission as Feminist Frequency? Or an example of another feminist digital space in general?
  3. Are there other sites or spaces that illustrate an intersectional feminism?

11 Responses

1. Vivien Abraham February 25, 2018 at 9:59 pm |

Great post Caterina. I’m glad you mentioned “slow composition,” because this also captured my interest. Our education system typically separates place-based and experience writing, but I wondered if the other aspects of “slow composition” might be similar to what might be alternatively termed a comprehensively scaffolded class? To your second question, another feminist digital space is feministing.com. This seems to address what Sano-Franchini calls “wicked problems,” and it includes an element of feminist rhetoric which is “invitational,” in that the editors have provided spaces to learn what others have to say. The site frequently refers to the experiences of those it seeks to support. For example, the blog “Inside the Fight for Menstrual Equity in America’s Prisons,” addresses the predicament of incarcerated women who are in the position of having (mostly) male officials decide how many feminine products they receive every month. This is insufficient for most women and harms their dignity. Along with a reader who commented on the blog, I had never heard of this problem. In addition to educating others of news that would not be reported through regular outlets, this site provides opportunities for activism by providing links that allow readers to get involved.

2. Caitlin Duffy February 26, 2018 at 9:28 pm |

Hi, Caterina! It was great meeting you in person the other day.

Just based on my quick look through the Feminist Frequency site, it seems like they are at least moving towards intersectional feminism. I see articles that cover issues of both gender as well as race, and their team seems fairly diverse.
    I’m looking forward to your video game blog next week!

3. Jon Heggestad February 27, 2018 at 4:24 am |

Like Vivian, I’m also you brought our attention to “slow composition.” Sano-Franchini didn’t expand too much on the term, but I’m assuming it’s the same idea behind slow food and slow pedagogy, right? I’d like to know more about slow composition as the whole slow movement seems to be picking up speed (that’s a joke). But really, I’d like to know more. It sounds like you have some familiarity with the term, Caterina. I’d love for you (or anyone else reading through these comments) to expand on the idea. ALSO, I’m curious about IxD. Sano-Franchini makes note of the differences between IxD and user interface design, but they sound really similar to me, and her explanation didn’t do much to clarify their differences to me.

4. Cynthia.Davidson@stonybrook.edu February 27, 2018 at 7:49 pm |

I’d be interested to hear what your thoughts are on this website.
    http://www.nymgamer.com/

I think slow composition also relates to Alexandra Hidalgo’s Camera Rhetorica, although her focus is composing with video. In that case, she is working with teams of people and talks about how slow and difficult it can be to make sure that everyone feels invested in the project and like their point of view is being reflected in the outcome.

Can user interface design create an environment where one needs to slow compose?

5. Cynthia.Davidson@stonybrook.edu February 27, 2018 at 7:52 pm |

Oh, also–although I wouldn’t identify Ian Bogost with feminism, of interest might be some of his video games like Cow Clicker and A Slow Year, which conspicuously resist the escalating pace of most online games.
    https://cowclicker.com/
    http://bogost.com/games/aslowyear/