Disruptive Technologies

Course site for Disruptive Technologies. Exploring identity, community, & design.

iPad Reflection Week 3 Chris

I’ve been substituting the iPad where ever I can for all my classes. At first it was a bit difficult because there are some things that pen and paper do better than the iPad.

The majority of my classes this semester focus a lot on group work so using the iPad in conjunction with Google Docs has been extremely helpful.  Editing documents on Google Drive is as easy as 1-2-3 but when it comes to entering data for my psychology lab class, tasks can be a bit difficult. For this data entry assignment my group members had to input responses from surveys into a Google Sheet using the app Sheets. Sheets is a great app but I do not understand why Google split up its applications. The group members in our group with laptops finished input all their data 4 minutes before the rest of us using tablets.  Something. That might fix this minor annoyance would be arrow keys when using Sheets or any excel- esque app.

Overall the iPad has been a great addition to my backpack.

4 Comments

1. Hey Chris, I agree with you that having arrow keys would help in this regard. As I said in my post, I hate the cursor pointer in tablets/smartphones, in general.

• Chris Williams

February 17, 2015 at 9:36 pm

I feel some type of arrow function shouldn’t be too difficult to include in the native keyboard when using the apps.

2. An interesting point. Has anyone tried swapping out the native keyboard? http://www.cnet.com/how-to/ios-iphone-8-keyboard/