It’s Your Life, and You Should Do What You Want

The song “It’s My Life” by the Animals is about a normal man that loves his life, and lives it the way he wishes regardless of what anyone else says about him. In the song he is talking to a girl, and the manner he is talking to her in can be interpreted in two different ways by listeners. Some listeners see this is a plea by the guy for the girl to put up with his stubborn ways, and others see this as sarcastic references to the girl, surrounded by the idea that the guy won’t succumb to what she wants. My eldest brother recommended this song for himself with the second meaning, as he said he likes the attitude the main character has. I would have to agree with him, because I do believe in being yourself above following the leads of others. My brother is a very independent, strong person that always does what he thinks is the best for himself and the people around him. Although some may consider it a selfish to only live by what one thinks, my brother does that but is also very considerate of others in his choices. More than selfish my brother is very self-reliant, and he said that was a major reason for him selecting this song. I have heard this song many times before, especially because I took my father to see Eric Burdon and the Animals about a year ago for his birthday. I didn’t like the song the first time I had heard it because I thought they stole the main riff, but after I did some research I realized that many other artists ripped the riff off of the Animals. The Animals as a whole were one of the first big rock bands and were very influential to both my brother and myself as we were growing up (even though they were both very different time periods). It is for this reason that I will always have a high opinion of their music, as it reminds me of growing up and learning to love music.

I think the lyrics and the instrumentals support each other very well, as I personally think the main riff stands out very well alongside the lyrics. Being that the song is all about standing up for yourself and being independent (using the second interpretation), the vibrant melodies and riffs the animals use with it accommodate the lyrics perfectly. If the lyrics contrast too much with the instrumentals the artist tends to lose the message they wish to convey with the song. When trying to convey a powerful theme like this one, it’s important for the artist to avoid contrast, and the Animals do this perfectly. The vocal style Eric Burdon uses in the chorus is also very significant to the lyrics, as the high register singing style he uses tends to project a louder dynamic, a perfect pair for lyrics that discuss standing out and being yourself.

The song isn’t necessarily different from other music by the Animals, as many of their songs feature upbeat melodies and guitar riffs, as well as powerful lyric themes. It isn’t part of an album theme, and at the time it was released only as a single. This is because during the time of the Animals, songs were released as singles and then compiled into albums, and it wasn’t until the Beatles Sgt. Peppers release that major concepts and album themes were brought to music. I don’t listen to them as regularly as I used to and they are not very active anymore, but in my opinion they are still very refreshing to listen to, almost as if they just entered the music scene. Being that my brother chose this song, it clearly has a special meaning to him, and I can imagine that he is proud that he lives his life the way he does. My brother is an inspiration to me in life, so it was very cool to listen to his reasoning for picking this song.

This song is perfect for any type of soft rock/classic rock playlist, as it has all the elements of those two  genres. Musically it is very vibrant and catchy, and can be used for any type of listening with the exception of getting pumped, as I don’t think it is upbeat enough for that. This song is also good for relaxed average listening, maybe while studying or sitting around. It is light on the ears of the listener, so I would recommend it for any listener with any amount of listening experience. It is also perfect for listeners of any age, as it is a classic and could appeal to ages ranging from 6 to 60.

Works Cited

Burdon, Eric. “The Animals.” MetroLyrics. CBS, n.d. Web. 04 Mar. 2015.

Burdon, Eric. It’s My Life. The Animals. Mickie Most, 1965. Vinyl recording.

Song Lyrics

http://www.metrolyrics.com/its-my-life-lyrics-the-animals.html

2 thoughts on “It’s Your Life, and You Should Do What You Want

1. Ruowen.Xu@stonybrook.edu

Hi, I am Stella in ACH class. I like your reflection pretty much because you always write your ideas in a specific ways and you also provide many specific details to make your essay more vivid. I appreciate the structure of your reflection. 🙂

2. Chuck.Powell@stonybrook.edu

Thanks Nick. Can’t honestly remember the last time I heard this song. It has to be decades ago, the title didn’t jog my memory but when I heard the tune…

I was first exposed to the Animals by my older (cooler) cousin when I was very young and she was already in her late teens. Can’t tell you how many times I listened to Sky Pilot and that album. You’re correct they were very “big” even on Ed Sullivan like the Beatles.

I think you’re interpretation of the integration of music and lyrics is spot on. The song always struck me as being about the hard cruel world and the music “says” that abundantly.