A Chat With SBU English Alum Michael Goldense: Finding Your Career While Pursuing Your Passion

Since 2002, Mike has self-released two books of poetry and four full-length solo albums.

There are few moments in a young adult’s life that are more anxiety-inducing than gazing at the post-graduation future and thinking: “What do I do now?” A BA in English or other aspects of the Humanities in particular often carries an extra load of stress thanks to well-meaning-but-still-trite questions like “What can you do with an English degree?” – especially for those who don’t see themselves as future educators.

Michael Goldense, Manager of Organizational Development for The Nature’s Bounty Co., a vitamin and nutritional supplement manufacturer, was met with that exact challenge when he graduated from Stony Brook’s English Department in 2007. Like many students, Mike chose this path not because he had a specific career in mind, but because he had a passion for literature and creative writing. By the time he became a SBU student, Mike had already self-published a book of poetry and released a solo album under the name Our Twilight Pastime, and believed an English degree would improve his writing. What he learned during his time at Stony Brook proved to be invaluable in the career path he found himself in shortly after.

I recently chatted with Mike about his experience at Stony Brook University, and what exactly he learned during his time here.

Tim Fitzpatrick: Thanks for taking some time to talk, Mike. To start, what was it that originally drew you to SBU’s English Department?

Mike Goldense: A desire to be creative drew me to the program. I loved creative writing—mostly poetry and lyrics—and felt that studying literature would improve my own writing and help me find new favorite authors and works. I grew up in Holbrook, NY, so SBU’s proximity to my home allowed me to take classes, work, and play music when I had the time.

TF: Did you have a favorite class or genre of literature while attending SBU?

MG: I discovered a broad array of both classics and modern works in SBU’s English Program. I came to realize that I love literature which I would define as being conversationally eloquent: it has beauty in its simplicity. It does not put on airs nor does it attempt to make a dramatic and ornate entrance. Classes that taught the works of William Carlos Williams, Ernest Hemingway, or the poetry of World War I soldiers stand out as favorites.

TF: What skills do you feel you learned while at SBU that you often apply in your current position?

MG: It may seem obvious, but learning to write with proper grammar and syntax has been an invaluable lesson from SBU’s English Program which I apply each and every day. I have become the go-to person on my team for drafting communications, and have been complimented on my ability to write and speak eloquently. This comes directly from the skills I learned within the program.

A less-obvious but equally valuable lesson I learned from this program was the ability to analyze a situation, brainstorm next steps, and develop an overall plan. Within the English Program, I was constantly asked to read a certain work, interpret the themes, and then communicate my point of view. Whether your subject is Moby Dick or redesigning an organization, the steps are identical: collect data, interpret, report. I believe learning these steps within an English Program has helped me be more creative in my approach within my career.

TF: Can you tell us a little bit about your experience at The Nature’s Bounty and your responsibilities there?

MG: I started here in October of 2013 as an Analyst within the Organization Development (OD) department. At the time, my responsibilities were mostly limited to administration of the company’s Learning Management System (LMS). Over time, I began to get involved in other OD projects such as internal consulting, people analytics, engagement surveys, talent management, and performance management. In January of 2015 I was promoted to Manager, and my responsibilities expanded to include leading a small team. Today, I focus primarily on our OD systems and analytics.

Mike Goldense in April 2018, facilitating a team-building workshop for The Nature’s Bounty Co.

TF: What authors/poets/musicians do you draw the most inspiration from while writing music and poetry?

MG: Creative writing, through both poetry and lyrics, is still very important to me and something I do as often as I can. I draw much inspiration from the poets Ted Kooser, Jim Harrison, Donald Hall, and Billy Collins. The simplicity of their language draws me in, and reading/re-reading their works has become like sharing coffee and conversation with a friend. For similar reasons, Kurt Vonnegut’s uniquely bare and dark take on writing also inspires me. As for music, I believe John K. Samson, lead singer/songwriter for the band The Weakerthans, ranks among the greatest lyricists of all time—and I personally would put him at #1. I find few things in life as beautiful as his writing.

TF: Do you feel SBU improved your writing, either professionally or in your music/poetry? If so, how?

MG: The English Program at SBU has dramatically improved my writing, both professionally and with my music/poetry. Throughout the program, my professors would stress brevity—imploring students to be as concise as possible in their writing. While I initially rejected this thought for my creative writing, I found myself naturally aiming to “trim the fat” from my music and poetry as well.

I am frequently communicating within my professional career: emails, conference calls, presenting topics at meetings, facilitating workshops, drafting internal marketing messages, etc. My capability to communicate well in any form can be directly tied to what I learned in SBU’s English Program. I truly believe no matter what it is you do, learning how to write well and express yourself eloquently will give you an edge as you look to advance your career.

TF: What did you find the job market was like upon graduating?

MG: Graduating in 2007, I was met with a very harsh job market due to the recession beginning in 2008. Thankfully, I obtained an internship at a local company while I was an undergrad and they brought me on full-time once I graduated.

TF: What kind of advice would you give to current SBU students, especially English majors?

MG: Find internships. Go out there and get professional experience. I was someone who joined SBU’s English Program not because I wanted to be an educator, but because I loved literature and wanted an opportunity to learn and write more. Many people in the program had a clear track they were following to become English teachers, which is excellent and admirable. But for those of you who feel that path isn’t for you, it can be scary to graduate with a degree you picked not with an end-result in mind, but because the subject is one that you are passionate about.

There are many opportunities both local to SBU and local to wherever you live during the off-months to gain professional experience. Whether it’s at a law firm, a small office, or—in my case—within a Human Resources department, internships are out there. This professional experience will not only “look good on a resume,” but it will help guide your career. You may love the work you or your colleagues are doing. Or, you may find that it’s not something you’re interested in. Either way, it will help prepare you further to take the first steps towards your career post-graduation.

TF: Thank you again for speaking with me, Mike. Where can we keep up with all of your music and writing projects?

MG: A little over a year ago I released “The Light of What We Are”, my first solo album not under the name Our Twilight Pastime. You can find it on Spotify by searching my name or the album title, or stream it for free on my website, https://www.michaelgoldense.com/music/. My website also lists most of my past and current writing and music projects. There’s certainly plenty there for people to delve into.

4 Responses

1. gustavo woltmann December 29, 2021 at 12:08 pm |

These concepts illustrate a fundamental reciprocity between teacher and student while also calling for students to develop their own intrinsic character and motivational techniques. So, maybe, the real-life modeling that occurs within the classroom has the potential to create more democratically sound and educated students: students who actively create productive spaces in their own lives which model the spaces they have experienced in the classroom.

2. nicolas lovey December 29, 2021 at 12:14 pm |

It’s a good opportunity to make a carrier in this. But It depends on your skills and interests, in which field you can make a carrier. But Once time, we should talk about Michael in more detail. But I want to discuss something. It will be a safeguard, as my companion told you can beat Turnitin without any problem. here we have another inquiry can Turnitin identify paraphrasing? Turnitin utilizes calculations that don’t distinguish paraphrasing.

3. gulo March 22, 2022 at 7:21 am |

the things you shared here are amazing, this knowledge I didn’t know before so worked very hard. Sincere thanks run 3

4. Ada April 26, 2022 at 3:55 pm |

You are right, the most important thing is to follow your heart. I want to be a professional teacher, and I do my best for this. The most important thing in our time is to constantly learn something new and try to do your job better.