Analysis #4: Emotions

How to Get In Touch with Your Emotions | Integrity Counseling & Wellness

Emotions are complex. In short, emotions are defined as “self-organizing patterns of an organism, the collection of responses, many of which are publicly observable”. We all express emotions, and without them, we wouldn’t function as a species. With this in mind, the two things I watched this week, being the movie “Inside Out”, and the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode “Man of the People”, truly know how to convey emotions in a creative and respectable way.

Inside Out streaming: where to watch movie online?

The first thing that I watched was the movie “Inside Out”. I haven’t watched this movie ever since it came out in theaters back in 2015. I still remember that day, my sister and I watching the movie, and her crying when Bing Bong dies, and if I’m gonna be honest, I almost got teary eyed when that happened. One thing I wanna focus on are the emotion characters inside Riley’s head. The characters on Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Anger and Fear are the perfect example of basic emotions, which are defined as “a special class of emotions out if which all other emotions are compounded”. Each emotion in Riley’s head has a certain trait that they express, simplifying who they are. For example, Fear is always jumpy over the smallest things, Sadness always has a melancholy personality, which ends up being important at the end of the film, and Anger always has a mad tone to his voice. According to Pete Doctor, the director of the film, there were going to be more core emotions from the five in the film, including surprise, pride, and trust, but they were scrapped in favor of the core emotions in the movie.

Star Trek: The Next Generation" Man Of The People (TV Episode 1992) - IMDb

I then watched the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode “Man of the People”. Honestly, after a few weeks of watching Star Trek, I think the show is starting to grow on me, and I might want to check out the show after classes are done. In this episode, the Enterprise brings in two people from a transport ship near Rekag-Seronia, Ambassador Ves Alkar, a Lumerian representative for the Federation and Sev Maylor, his mother, who seems to sense the emotions in others. So, Sev Maylor, and Deanna Troi, the Enterprise’s counselor are both empaths, which I found hilarious, because I mentioned the whole concept of empaths in one of my previous blog posts. Anyway, when Sev Maylor dies, Ves Alkar and Troi perform a grieving ritual, which was Alkar’s excuse to take over Troi’s body and dump all of his negative emotions on to her. Troi”s slow descent is a perfect example of James-Lange’s theory of emotion. In short, the theory states that “bodily changes come first and form the basis of an emotional experience. Thus, emotions are caused by bodily sensations”. So, as Troi is rapidly aging, her negative emotions are becoming for erratic, causing the aging process to rapidly advance until Troi dies. So, when Ves Alkar gets all his negative emotions placed back onto him at the end of the episode, his body rapidly ages until death.

Feeling Inside Out

So today we’re going to talk about how I cried for a solid 20 minutes because of Inside Out…

Umm, let’s restart that. We’re going to discuss emotions and how they are interpreted within Inside Out and Star Trek: The Next Generation‘s “Man of the People.”

Inside Out 

Inside Out has such interesting concepts when it comes to emotion, and also very important ones.

The emotions, mind, and body play as a team in this movie. Even though the emotions are viewed as separate characters and entities, they still work with Riley and her cognitive processes. They are a personified version of how humans think. We don’t have one track minds- different experiences give us different emotions, making us ponder how to react.

Riley has plenty of emotions her first night sleeping in her new home. She hears the noise and sees the shadow of a bus, and we see Fear start to flip out going, “What is that? Is it a bear? It’s a bear!” After some dialogue, Anger inputs his thoughts about the move. He says, “This move has been a bust.” Fear believes there’s 37 things for Riley to be scared of, Disgust mentions the icky stench in the house, and Anger exclaims, “I can’t believe mom and dad moved us here!” Joy tries to lighten things up, saying things like, “We’ve been through worse” and “Let’s make a list of all the things that Riley should be happy about.” This is much like how we in real life process emotions. If I were Riley, I’d have similar thoughts. I’d be scared of the unknown, disgusted by dead rats and the smell, and pissed at my parents for making me move. Possibly, I’d try to focus on the positives to feel better (I say possibly as someone who struggles with depression, if you know you know). Inside Out exhibits emotion similar to Arnold’s Appraisal Theory of Emotion. The emotions see something happen in Riley’s life, and usually say aloud if it’s good or bad. Their thoughts related to emotions are then exhibited in conversation, and from there they figure out the action they must take. After all, anger somehow came up with the “let’s jump on a bus to Minnesota to fix the occurring problems.”

On a more important note, Inside Out reveals that it is important to express our feelings in order to get the help we need. After Bing Bong’s rocket gets sent to the dump, he is overcome with sadness and says, “Riley can’t be done with me.” Joy says, “Hey! It’s gonna be okay, we can fix this. We just need to get back to headquarters. Which way to the train station?” Joy tries to pull him, but he says, “I had a whole trip planned for us” and stays put. Joy keeps trying to cheer him up to no avail. On the other hand, Sadness says, “I’m sorry they took your rocket. They took something that you loved. It’s gone, forever.” The two continue to talk about Bing Bong’s feelings, and he ends up crying and feeling better. Joy is like Riley in the beginning of the movie, pushing to hide feelings and avoid the problems to “stay positive.” On the other hand, sadness is like Riley at the end of the movie, pushing to express feelings in order to acknowledge and overcome them.

See the source image
Sadness helps Bing Bong express his feelings.

Star Trek: The Next Generation

I think it’s safe to say the episode “Man of the People” was weird.

I’d consider this episode an opposition to the Theory of Emotional Construction. This theory claims emotion as something that doesn’t happen to you, but rather something that is constructed. This episode shows emotion as something that happens to you.

We watch Deanna Troi deteriorate throughout the episode both mentally and physically after the “funeral meditation” with Alkar. Picard confronts Alkar after the autopsy of Alkar’s (not) mother to figure out what has been done to Troi. Alkar tells Picard, “You see, I discovered long ago I had the ability to channel my darker thoughts, my unwanted emotions to others, leaving me unencumbered.” He later says, “She’s an empath. I was reasonably certain I could establish a link with her. Frankly, I was amazed when I saw how quickly she’d aged. Usually my receptacles survive for years.”

Emotions are looked at as transferrable. It is also clear that it’s easier to transfer them onto empaths, which are people that can feel what others are feeling. Dr. Crusher called these transferred emotions on Troi “psychic waste.” It is as if emotion takes control of the person depending on how much dark emotion is transferred. Troi becomes a completely different person- more sexual, cruel, and attached. They happen to her; she doesn’t construct them. When the emotions transfer back to Alkar, he grows old and dies. He has no control of them.

See the source image
We see the aging effects of Alkar’s emotions on Troi.

Module 4

This week we watched the movie Arrival and the episode “Darmok” From Star Trek: The Next Generation. From watching these two we can see the communication between people/species when you do not speak the same language. It is very easy to connect these two due to the fact that part of the main premise of them is the main characters trying to learn/understand the language of the other species that they are interacting with.

In the movie Arrival the main character, Louise, is trying to understand the language of the heptapods who have appeared around earth to understand why they are there. By seeing the heptapods and trying to learn their language from the writing they show her. She attempts to understand just based on viewing and her interpretation. It’s not until she develops a sort of telepathic connection to them, essentially rewiring her brain, she finally is not only able to understand them when they help her understand time but in turn it helps her learn their language. 

In the episode “Darmok” From Star Trek, we see the Enterprise trying to communicate with the Tamarians. Both the Tamarians and the Enterprise to not understand what the other is saying and so that all attempt to communicate until the Captain of the Tamarians transports himself and Captain Picard to the surface of El-Adrel, Picard and The captain of the Tamarians have to be patient in order to communicate and understand one another better and face the unknown enemy. The two ended up bonding and even though in the end the Tamarian captain was killed Picard understood the Tamarians language and was able to communicate with the Tamarian crew and let them know what happened and avoid conflict.

False Empathy

I once again apologize for my late post ! Still catching up a bit, but I’m eager to talk about empathy ! This topic was something I was really excited to discuss and will likely coincide with the main theme for my final project. I feel that empathy should be something that everyone has for others, though both of the pieces we watched for this class showed us otherwise.

I’m a big horror fan, so I was really excited to watch Posessor. However, it was easily one of the most disturbing things I have ever watched, and this is coming from someone who watches youtube horror series and true crime ! I immediately needed a palette cleanser after it, though I thought the story was artfully told in a pleasantly abstract way. While we’re able to understand Vos’ job and how has taken its toll on her, the way they portray her emotional disconnect and depersonalization as she “becomes” her new host. A scene I found notable was when Vos was watching her new host and slowly repeating what he said in a similar tone. While we could assume this was just another part of her job, we also see her doing this as she approaches her ex’s home. We can say Vos has empathy for those she has to kill, however this action leads me to believe that these feelings are practiced and not as genuine as I would have hoped. It reminded me of the movie Dismissed, about a young sociopath and his relationship with a professor at his school. During the big reveal (spoilers) we see old home videos of the student practicing emotional responses as a child. While this movie may be a better example for our current module, it did come to mind when I watched Vos rehearse what she was going to say.

Futurama is always a welcome reprieve after a movie like Posessor. I had mentioned the episode name to a friend (they’re a diehard fan) and they immediately knew everything that had happened. It was fun to talk about it! In the episode, Bender is implanted with an “empathy chip” so he’s able to understand Leela’s feelings better. While the episode has a happy ending and Bender is able to understand Leela (despite learning nothing) its clear that the empathy Bender was “feeling” was not genuine. This much is obvious due to the nature of the “empathy chip,” but it made me think of the “empathy” Vos tries to experience in Posessor.

Something that struck me was how Fry blamed Leela for the fact that Bender flushed himself down the toilet, a phrase I didn’t think I would ever type in an academic setting. He specifically blamed her emotions. This is something I’m definitely going to be thinking about during this current module.

Emotions Taking the Wheel

In this week’s module, the film Inside Out and The Star Trek episode “Man of the People”, touched upon the intersection of our cognitive system with our emotions and how they function. I think the film did a nice job showing how our emotions can fluctuate due to our surroundings and how we are interacting with it. When Riley moves to a new home, we can tell that she seems to be in a nostalgic state or mood, but she experiences a variety of emotions on top of that. This relates back to our lecture where it discussed that moods are “modulated and sustained background feeling”, while emotions are “self organizing patterns of the organism, the collection of responses, many of which are publicly observable”. When they first enter the new home you can tell that Riley is not impressed by their condition and misses her old home already, but after Joy plants an idea in Riley’s mind to play mini sticks (10:50), we see that she is happy. Riley is seen laughing with her parents, a physical display of the emotion she is feeling. Her nostalgic mood for her home did not disappear, it’s still there, just hidden below the current emotion she is feeling.

Riley’s anger coming out at the dinner table

We see this again when Riley is at the dinner table with her parents and she gives them attitude after they bring up hockey (27:30), which causes Riley’s Dad to scold her. Riley eventually yells at her father to “shut up”, her anger clearly on display. This emotion is a reaction to the conversation between herself and her father, but her underlying longing for home is at the bottom of it.

For me, I felt like the film represented emotions as something that we first construct at birth, but then afterwards it is something that happens to us (post us creating them) which I think is interesting that it can be both in a way. When Riley is born and she first sees her parents (1:34), Joy is sprung into existence in Riley’s mind. This shows how Riley herself constructed Joy based on what she was feeling and seeing in that moment even though she was just a baby. We see that as things begin to happen Riley constructed all the emotions into existence, Sadness arriving second.

Joy, Sadness, Anger, Disgust, and Fear behind the console

We see how emotions are represented to be the “masterminds” of the brain as they are located in Headquarters, which is far away from the other areas such as long term memory, imagination land, and the dreamland. The emotions in headquarters have access to a large console where there are buttons and levers that trigger something in Riley’s mind to then act a certain way physically with her body. When Riley stands up to introduce herself in front of the class, Sadness touches one of the “joy” memory balls and turns it blue. Now that that memory has a new emotion attached to it, Riley begins crying and having a physical reaction. We see this again when Riley is playing hockey and Anger fully sends one of the levers and Riley throws her hockey stick before stomping off the ice. But this made me think back to the lecture where it discusses that one of the tenets of the Theory of Emotional Construction states  that “Emotions are not something that happens to us, they are something we do”. So, this made me think about how the act of throwing her hockey stick is anger itself, and that’s how she was expressing it, not that anger “told” her to throw the stick as represented in the film with the console that was controlling Riley. 

In the episode of Star Trek, I thought they had a really cool way of representing negative emotions, and how it can take a physical toll on your body, showing how our emotions, mind, and body are so closely intertwined. Also, it touched base with how our own emotions can sometimes have an affect on how we perceive and interact with others. When Ambassador Alkar reveals what he did to Captain Picard (33:14), he justifies his actions by saying “If I came to these peace talks hindered by unwanted emotions, then Rekags and Seronians would be condemned to go on fighting.”.

Deanna’s aged body

He is worried about his own emotions becoming obstacles in trying to create peace between two sides who have their own negative feelings towards each other. In other words, the emotions have the capability to control your mind to an extent, because they can be so strong, and the power may be unconscious. This goes back to how in the film, the emotions Joy, Sadness, Anger, Disgust, and Fear were located in the Headquarters with the brain with access to a console. Earlier in this scene though, Alkar says “I discovered long ago I had the ability to channel my darker thoughts”, which then leads to the idea that Alkar is so hyper aware of his emotions that he can separate them from his mind, even though they are actually heavily connected as the mind functions in unison with emotions. 

Alkar’s fate

In a later scene when we see Deanna on the table, Captain Picard and his crew are trying to figure out what is wrong with her (36:20). They note that “If Alkwar is flooding her with all this psychic waste, that would explain the high level of neurotransmitters, all these negative emotions pouring into her, they have caused a chemical response in her brain”. We see throughout the episode that Deanna’s body is aging at an exponential rate, and her demeanor is becoming more aggressive. There seems to be a correlation between negative emotions and physical health, and how what we are feeling can ultimately take a toll on your body. Also, Alkar dies at the end of the episode because all of the negative emotions he had pushed onto Deanna went back to him and he looks like an old man. This made me think about how some people die of a broken heart. Their sadness and grief surrounding a loss actually cause their body to not function as it is supposed to. First the emotions affect the brain, the person becomes numb to their surroundings and eventually the body seems to follow. 

Module 3 – Empathy to the Extreme

I’m late to the discussion on this one, but this module included media that deals with empathy in extreme sci-fi scenarios. While Futurama is always a fun watch, I wasn’t sure what to expect from The Possessor, as ’empathy’ wasn’t as intriguing of a topic compared to the previous week. Though it wasn’t an easy watch, I was pleasantly surprised with the sci-fi concepts and story.

I watched The Possessor first, and oh boy, was it hard to stomach at parts. The camera work was amazing (which only made the gory parts even gorier) and the concepts it tackled were really interesting. We follow Tasya Vos, an assassin who takes over other people’s bodies to kill her target. As she moves in and out of bodies, she becomes more and more disoriented with her identity and life itself. Even before the assassination on John Parse goes wrong, Tas has become prone to violence, killing her victims brutally with knives and blunt force. She also appears constantly confused, practicing her mannerisms before seeing her family and misremembering facts about her life.

Imagery to describe how Tas feels

I interpreted this descent into madness as the effect of an overload of emotions and experiences; when Tas goes into other’s bodies, she seems to gain a better understanding of her target while simultaneously losing a piece of herself in the process. In the final scene where Tas/Collin kill Michael, the process is described as parasitic – almost as if the process of switching bodies intrinsically causes insanity. This idea is supported by Girder’s apparent lack of emotion and statement that she feels overtaken by the act of entering another body. After the years of experience she had being an assassin, the process took it’s toll on her – just as it did to Tas in the end.

A scene that I connected to the lecture was when Tas is watching Collin as he talks to his girlfriend at home, mimicking everything he says. She’s likely directed by her employer to learn about her target this way because the mimicking activates her mirror neurons, which fire both when an organism witnesses an action and performs that action themselves. This would help her learn Colin’s mannerisms quicker.

I then watched the episode “I Second That Emotion” from Futurama, which was a welcomed change of pace from the nail biter that was The Possessor. Bender gets jealous of Nibbler – Leela’s pet – and flushes him down the toilet in retaliation. Leela is heartbroken because of this, but Bender doesn’t seem to understand or care about her feelings. She says that she would feel better if Bender understood how she was feeling, leading to the doctor implanting an empathy chip into Bender against his will. He’s then stuck feeling the same emotions as Leela. This is an example of simulation theory – the idea that understanding others involves simulating their mental states based on your own experiences. In this case, Bender is literally experiencing emotions as Leela does.

Bender and Leela post-Nibbler flush

During his time with empathy, Bender is shown to experience emotions in a robotic way. When Leela feels an emotion, a light on the chip blinks red and Bender completely switches what he was previously thinking. He sometimes comments on these emotions with his true thoughts, though, stating that he hates Nibbler just after the empathy chip made Bender miss him. While he is experiencing Leela’s emotions, they are not accurate to how Bender wants to feel. Because of this, Bender doesn’t learn his lesson in the end and is just as big of a jerk as he was when flushing Nibbler down the toilet.

Analysis #3 – “Disembodied Voices Deepen My Suspicious Tendencies”

Well, I’m late to the party, clearly. Please excuse me for that; I’m currently in Greece, burning my everything inside a house that might as well be an oven. However, I will be going to a beach soon, so that’s a plus, I suppose.

Not my best metaphors, but they will do.

Hello, everybody. Hope you’re well and cooler than me. I really liked this module’s movie and episode, so let’s just jump right into it.

I want to set a small baseline, if you will. The quoted title is pulled from a TOOL song, “Culling Voices”, one of their more obscure, underrated gems. It is, as per usual by TOOL standards, very vague and ambiguous, which allows the listener to attach their own meaning onto the song. In short, I like to think it’s about being unreasonably paranoid that someone is out to get you, and you think you’re being accused of something when, instead, you’ve created a reality that’s much worse than what’s actually happening.

Sound familiar? Well, if not, don’t worry, I’m terrible at explaining things. That’s why I’ll let Arrival do all the explaining.

In typical alien-scenario fashion, the governments of the world refuse to cooperate with each other because of national security, distrust, paranoia, and big cultural differences. Understandably, they are extremely terrified of the alien spacecrafts (if you can call those egg looking things that) and are certain that the aliens have hostile intentions from the get-go.

But…why is it “understandably”? If you think about it, why are we so scared of aliens in the first place? They are, sort of, making things feel worse than they actually are. Before I delve into this, a specific scene must be brought up first.

When Colonel Weber meets Dr. Louise Banks, he plays her an audio clip of two Heptapods growling. Now, my first thought when I heard them growling so menacingly and lowly (aside from, ZOMG ALIENS SO COOL) was “damn, they must be terrifying and evil,” because I associated that sound with negativity, despite not once seeing the aliens, or hearing some other sounds they could have produced, or how they behaved bodily, etc. What’s funny is that Dr. Louise did point out that it’s impossible to know what they want unless she was there to see the stuff I just mentioned (body language, appearance, etc.)

In other words, that scene puts us in the Colonel’s shoes, not Louise’s.

Like the military, my first instinct was to point fingers and quietly think, “the aliens could be evil because of their sound”. I believe this is because of “Cognitive Framing”. Due to the environment I grew up, which portrays aliens as these “end of the world scenario” capable beings, the moment I heard that growling and attributed it to the word “aliens”, I created a typical picture that helps me understand the situation, even if that picture was completely wrong (which it was).

Emphasis on the “could be evil”. We see in the movie that some countries are immediately against the possibility that these aliens could be harmless. China, Russia, Sudan, and some others I’m forgetting, were paranoid from the beginning.

So language and culture affect how we perceive certain concepts, and how we react to them. Countries like Russia and China, who are notoriously big control-freaks over what goes on in their country, clearly did not take it kindly that massive eggs started floating in the sky. Understandably…

The Star Trek episode also showcases how our language can affect our interactions with people from other backgrounds. The crew meet the Tamarians, and they (try to) talk to them. They noticeably have trouble doing so, as the Tamarians seem to speak only using historical events in their culture as metaphors to portray what is happening in that moment, or how they feel about that specific situation.

I really liked the scene where Captain Picard feels threatened by Captain Dathon when the latter offers knives to the former. Though Dathon offers them in order for them to work together, Picard thinks he wants to fight. Same thing for the crew. That’s because of the two races’ different backgrounds affect their interactions. Without prior knowledge of the Tamarian culture and history, Picard cannot properly communicate with Dathon. However, because a lot of the historical events Dathon mentions are legendary stories similar to those of Earth (two heroes fight the Beast™), Picard is able to slowly make educated guesses as to what Dathon is saying.

This episode encouraged me to think how often I use metaphors to describe situations. And…yeah, I do use a lot of metaphors, ranging from basic to profusely vulgar. In any case, metaphors do get the point across a lot better, I’ve noticed. Maybe because they’re more memorable than typical sentences.

“Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra” definitely sticks better than “Two strangers, Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra when they were fighting a beast that threatened to snuff their lives”. Of course, the problem with metaphors is that not every country shares them. “Best thing since sliced bread” would never mean the same thing say in Japanese. It’d just lead to a lot of confusion.

I’d like to finish this post with a chunk of lyrics from “Culling Voices”, because I think it fits with both movies’ themes:

“Heated altercations we’ve never had
so I’m told
Yet guided by them all
Every single one
Psychopathy
Misleading me over and over and over
Judge, condemn, and banish any and everyone
Without evidence
Only the whispers from within”
Remember, folks. When meeting someone new, don’t instantly think they’re out to get you.
Warmly,
Guga Khidasheli

hot take: maybe we’d be stronger without bodies

Sorry for the late post on this topic, but it seems I’m playing a bit of catch up !  Though out of all the topics we’ve learned about in this class, I’ve probably discussed this one the most with my friends. This is in part because I continued watching past episode 1 of Altered Carbon. A close friend had recommended it to me some time ago so I was happy to jump right in. I think I’m about halfway done with season 1 so forgive me if I accidentally drop a spoiler or two !

What I found interesting in Altered Carbon was the way bodies were treated as a resource rather than part of who we are. Because our consciousness is stored separately, the ability to change your body has become commonplace (especially for the wealthy, though that wasn’t part of the episode we watched!) In the scene where Takeshi sees his reflection for the first time after being “resleeved,” we hear the attendants warning him against doing so, as it can cause damage to his “stack” and permanently alter his mental state. I found it interesting that, despite our consciousness being stored separately, the series suggests that our sense of self is tied to our body.

In the Star Trek episode “Return to Tomorrow,” we see the bodies of Captain Kirk and his comrades being used as a similar means to an end. A resource, though we do see the importance of having a body in the scene where Sargon and company return to bodies for the first time. They marvel at the ability to feel their skin and to breathe again, not to mention the ability to kiss and touch one another. While the mind and body are physically able to separate, the body allows for a more intimate, physical connection with others. Perhaps this is why in Altered Carbon there is such a big focus on sex and physical intimacy.

I struggled to connect “The Day The Earth Stood Stupid” to this module, but I want to focus on how the brain stated that they “evolved past the need for bodies.” In this sense, a body is seen as lesser, almost as if it’s holding back their species so they discarded them like cheap toys. The lack of concern for their own bodily autonomy leads to a disregard for others safety, as well as a sense of superiority. Similarly, Sargon states he and his people had grown minds powerful enough for them to consider themselves gods.

It seems overall that bodies are seen as shells worthy of discarding in order to gain a stronger understanding of the world and yourself. And while I feel I am “supposed” to disagree, due to my relationship with my own body I almost feel that I agree. As a chronically ill queer person, there are a lot of things about my body that I would be fine giving up. In fact, sometimes I feel that my mind is working at half speed due to my day to day health struggles. If I were to be “resleeved” into a body that worked properly or one that allowed me to be perceived in a way I would prefer, perhaps I’d be a bit happier!

Additionally, as someone who streams online as a separate person with a completely different face, I have found myself looking in the mirror sometimes after a particularly long week of streaming and feeling surprised when I didn’t see my character looking back at me. I guess I’m constantly being resleeved in the process of streaming haha !

Module 2 – Mind Over Body

For this week’s module, we watched a few TV episodes that explore the relationship between the body and the mind. These episodes were all really trippy and made me wonder about what the mind really is and how it connects to the body.

The first show I watched for this week was the episode of Futurama titled “The Day the Earth Stood Stupid”. In this episode, Earth is attacked by giant brains who want to wipe out all thought in the universe. Everybody on the planet has been rendered stupid because of this attack – besides Fry, who is immune to this. In their final battle against the leader of the brains, it traps Fry and Leela in a series of classic books – including Moby Dick and Pride and Prejudice – in which they appear to be in scenes from each story. This is an example of the brain in a vat thought experiment, which states that if a human brain can be kept alive in a vat and fed stimuli, it would register this stimuli exactly the same as a normal human would. Though Leela, Fry, and the brain’s bodies are sitting lifeless while they are inside the books, they perceive that they are whaling with Captain Ahab and Queequeg or at a ball with Mr. Darcy – and these experiences are as real as any other they’ve had in their bodies. This scene depicts the mind as having these experiences, while the body can be left out entirely. As always, Futurama was super fun and hilarious to watch, but the concepts they tackle leave me wondering about the nature of the mind, life, and the world itself.

Leela after getting the “stupid” disease

Next I watched the first episode of Altered Carbon – a complete 180 in tone from Futurama. Altered Carbon details the past of a super soldier/rebel leader, Takeshi Kovacs, who gets “resleeved” – placed into a new body – 250 years after his death. There is a dissonance that happens between him and his body, along with everyone else who has been recently resleeved. In a scene where Kovacs is being given a presentation about his new body along with the other recently resleeved, everybody looks wildly uncomfortable with themselves – their eyes wide with terror and confusion, gripping at their skin like it isn’t theirs, pulling and clenching their clothes like they’ve never worn them before. It displays the idea of embodied cognition – that cognition is integrated with our bodies and emotions, not entirely separate from each other. When these people were separated from their previous bodies, they lost a piece of themselves, as well. The most haunting part of the episode was when they show a family reuniting with their daughter who has been resleeved into an older woman. I cannot imagine how horrifying it would be as a little girl to look in the mirror and see someone who looks older than your parents. Though terrifying, it was a great way to show the audience how strange it would truly be to be resleeved.

The little girl in an unfamiliar body being held by her mom

The last piece of media I watched was the episode of Star Trek: The Original Series titled “Return to Tomorrow”. The starship Enterprise is travelling far into uncharted space when they receive a transmission from a planet that has seemingly had no life for half a million years. They are contacted by a being who has no body and is made of “pure energy”, powerful enough to speak to the crew from their spaceship and turn off their power. When Captain Kirk goes down to the planet to meet this entity – named Sargon – they find a glass ball that contains his mind. This is another example of the brain in the vat, as Sargon is able to perceive the world around him the same as when he had a body. Sargon then takes control of Kirk’s body in a scene that can only be described as beautiful. Sargon moves as if uncomfortable in a body again yet looks enamored with the world as a bombastic and almost romantic song plays, saying that it felt amazing to simply breathe again. This is similar to the reaction of people resleeving in Altered Carbon; they feel strange being in a different body because of the idea of embodied cognition. In Star Trek, however, Sargon has been conscious for half a million years without his body, making his reunion with a body glorious and emotional experience instead of strange and uncomfortable. This scene was executed really well and William Shatner did an incredible job of showing the nuances of Sargon’s emotions while unadjusted to his body.

Sargon adjusting to Kirk’s body

Do we have control over our emotions?

Emotions are what makes us human. Many people believe showing your emotions make you weak, but I have come to realize that showing your emotions does quite the opposite of that. In the voice thread, we learned that emotions are something we construct. By constructing an emotion, we learn how were feeling. Emotions are not something that happens to us, they are something we do. They are created by the experience of our body and context of the situation. Emotions begin in our conceptual system from there we begin to have bodily sensations and then culture plays a role on where we would categorize this emotion.

The different emotions shown

In the movie, Inside out we see Riley learning all the emotions of life starting right when she is born to being an adult. All the different emotions come into her life at the different stages of her life. First, we start with joy as when she is born, and then sad appears 33 seconds after joy arrived.  Of course, emotions are a little more complicated on how they are created but “inside out” creates a good children’s movie to give them an understanding of what different emotions that they are feeling. Showing them that emotions are normal and safe to show and have. When the sad character is glitching and not working correctly, it made me feel that it was a stress was being created from Riley body and in our culture, we can put stress as us being sad.

How Sad couldn’t help herself.

I feel like most people have had an emotion of loss of words or no emotions to really describe something. On Riley first day or school, her “brain” aka headquarters with all her emotions get distracted leaving joy and sad to get sucked away and Riley cannot feel the two important core emotions. Which than she becomes confused and different. When we are confused, we feel a bunch of emotions at the same time. One second were mad, the next were scared.  We create ideas of what we’re feeling. At the end of the film, we learn that it’s okay to be confused about your feelings and feel happy and sad at the same time. We believe that there are multiple feelings, and we construct ourselves to feel more than one emotion.  By using Riley’s conceptual system of old memories, then her bodily sensations starts kicking in and she is crying. By crying and being the way, she was raised headquarters finds a memory ball of sad and joy mixed in one and riley personalities return.

When joy and sad mixed emotions combine

In the episode “Man of the people”, we see that Deanna- half human and half Betazoid and has the psionic ability to sense emotions. One scene in the episode that had a lot of emotions was when Deanna was trying to get Riker jealous. Deanna keeps insisting that Riker must be upset and jealous. He finally leaves gets upset and says when she is ready to work, to let him know. I feel at this point he thinks something is wrong and she is not her normal self.Deanna has the capability of emotional concept. By predicting what he is feeling because of her actions. Emotions are built, they just don’t happen. Deanna made Riker angry but trying to poke him and make him feel new emotions. Riker and Deanna have a strong connection for each other has been built over time. Since she is an empath, she can investigate the person and watch their body reactions and categorize the behavior they are feeling. Alkar is the reason that poor Deanna is seen like this.  It seems as Alkar has no emotions and does not care. He is using Deanna and does not care if she dies. Throughout the entire episode there is a rollercoaster of emotions.

Was Riker jealous?

Looking back at the episode, I believe that they chose Deanna because she is an empath but also because she is a female. It seems as if they use gender roles when creating this episode. One scene Deanna is using her sexual figure to seduce men, then she becomes angry and scratched Riker face.  She constructed the feeling of anger because she got denied. Showing how emotions can change so quickly.

The scratch that surprised me.