Introduction AKA Please Let There Be Someone Who Likes The Same Music As Me

Hello everyone.

I’m Guga Khidasheli (he/his/him). I’m a Greek Georgian immigrant who came to the United States around 3 years ago. I’m an English major, also minoring in Journalism and Japanese Studies. I’m writing, albeit very slowly, a fantasy book, not focusing on publishing it since a lot of it comes down to luck. If anyone has the free time to give me feedback on some sample chapters, I’d be grateful and more than willing to do the same for your own projects.

Of course, this also means that I am an avid fantasy reader. Although it’s hard to sit down and read a thousand page epic without feeling guilty about procrastinating on an essay. Right now, I’m reading Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson and Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson. Almost finished with the former, around a fifth into the latter.

Outside of books, I’m a big fan of the metal and rock genres in music. I constantly listen to Rammstein (new album is so good), Slipknot, A Perfect Circle, TOOL, System of A Down, Avenged Sevenfold, MUSE, and some other folks I’m probably forgetting. My favorites from each band (skip if not interested) are as follow:

Rammstein: Angst

Slipknot: Sulfur

A Perfect Circle: The Outsider

TOOL: The Grudge

System of A Down: Question!

Avenged Sevenfold: Mad Hatter

MUSE: Showbiz (title track)

Because of so much excellent music in my life, I decided to take up the guitar and bass. The result? I have written 2 songs (albeit they lack drums ;-;) and am working on dozens of work-in-progress projects (again, no drums, I’m sad). If anyone knows a drummer who is into metal, I would appreciate it if you set up a meet and greet :P. Jokes aside, I do plan on forming a band, assuming I meet the right people.

As for why I picked this class, it’s solely for the credit. I wanted something over the summer that would help me graduate faster, and I just basically did what a person does when they don’t know which book to pick from a shelf. I closed my eyes, pointed randomly at the shelf (well, technically, the options at Degree Works), and accepted what I got. Either way, any new information that could give me some insight about anything, really, is useful. And so, this class, especially since it’s about Cogsci, will definitely be a great asset.

Though the class involves a lot of self-learning, I am looking forward to meeting as many people as I can.

Warmly,

Guga

2 thoughts on “Introduction AKA Please Let There Be Someone Who Likes The Same Music As Me

1. Hi Guga,

It is very nice to meet you! Glad that you found your way into this class. 🤣

I also read a lot of fantasy! I haven’t been able to get into Steven Erikson. (I have a friend who is obsessed and who has tried and tried to get me to read him, but I just wasn’t gripped by Gardens of the Moon.) I’ve read the first two Stormlight Archive books, but I’ve been avoiding those epic series as best I can. Been burned too hard by George R.R. Martin and Patrick Rothfuss.

That said. I’d be very happy to read a chapter for you at some point this summer.

2. Hi Guga, I love that you have a passion for my music! I also enjoy metal and honestly listen to many genres of music. Rock music is definitely my top. I am more of a horror buff than fantasy but sometimes those can go hand in hand. I have a tattoo half sleeve I have been working on that is Tim Burton themed. I love his work from his early stuff on. Have you been to many concerts? I have to say music has saved me through the years and made me meet some really amazing people along the way. I now have many concert going buddies and we have really bonded on that. I always wished I could play an instrument, but I feel like it is just something I do not have. I would love to play the guitar, would be so cool. Maybe one day in my spare time I can take a lesson or two.