INTRODUCTION POST + COUNTLESS EXCLAMATION POINTS!

Hi everyone!

My name is Alessa, and my pronouns are she/her. I’m a Psychology major with a minor in English, and I’m also a Senior graduating (finally!) this summer. My plans after graduating are to land a job in research (preferably in the Psychology field) in the city, and be able to use my English minor as a way to further enjoy reading and writing.

I decided to take this class because after taking multiple English courses where films and documentaries have been part of the syllabus, I became interested in how and what I can learn through films. I’ve never been a fan of sci-fi, but hopefully this class changes that! My favorite film so far this year has been “Everything Everywhere All at Once.” I related so much to the overall message of the film, and I recommend it to everyone. 

I enjoy reading, which has been a hobby of mine since I was young, mostly classics like Pride and Prejudice, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, The Great Gatsby and so on. As I’ve grown up, I’ve also outgrown certain genres and developed an interest in others. After taking a class where environment and culture were studied, I developed an interest in environmental literature/novels due to what’s happening with climate change. Also, while my first language is Spanish, I don’t read books in Spanish, but I’m slowly trying to change that. I recently bought a poetry book by Pablo Neruda, so we’ll see how it goes! 

Please enjoy this picture of Luca, my puppy. He’s one, but he’ll always be a puppy, and he’s the best. He loves to chase squirrels, is tired of eating kibble, and has too much energy for his dog mom to handle.

Introduction Post

My name is Nicole, I go by she/her pronouns. I recently returned to school after about 10 years. I have an 8 year old son and now that he is older and in school, I have come back to pursue a degree in English Education.  A lot of my summer will be working and trying to entertain my son – but I also have a family vacation planned to go visit family in Florida and a short cruise from Florida to the Caribbean, which we are both excited for.

Most of my week revolves around sports, I run soccer and kickball leagues for LI-Kick, which is LI’s largest adult social sports league – so I spend most of my time on a field. I’ve played soccer my whole life and have been running/playing kickball the last 8 years.

Kickball has turned out to be way more competitive than it was when I was a kid, and a major part of my life the past few years. I even went to nationals (surprisingly this exists) in Las Vegas last year for kickball – which is a statement, I never thought I’d say. 

I am taking this class because it fulfilled the requirements, I need to graduate. When I originally signed up for the course- I didn’t know what the course entailed, however now that I’ve read through the syllabus the course strikes me as a really interesting course. I love a good story and sci-fi and genuinely like the content and am looking forward to some really interesting posts/discussions within the class.

sliding in at the last second with my post, which I’m sure will be a running theme

Hey everyone ! My name’s Ariana, but you can just call me Ari ! I go by he/she/they pronouns; any are fine. I’m an english major and also a senior with only one semester left. It’s been a wild ride ! A lot of people ask me what I plan to do with my major and assume I’m planning to teach, but I actually really want to work in the video game industry ! I love video games as a storytelling medium and aspire to tell my own stories through games someday. In the meantime, I’ve been enjoying sharing my favorite games on stream as my streaming persona, Sunnie. Some of my favorite games are OneShot, Hello Charlotte, and Omori. 

I’ve been spending a lot of time indulging in my many hobbies this summer. After a long hiatus, I finally returned to the anime convention scene with a new cosplay and performance. I’ve also been playing several tabletop games (I just finished our Sunday session an hour before writing this and OOF was it rough) and catching up on a few games I’ve been meaning to play and replay. If you couldn’t tell, I really like to draw and I’ve recently joined an annual art gifting competition called Art Fight. All the while working full time in the cheese department at Whole Foods. Needless to say I’ve been keeping quite busy this summer !

This class is a requirement for me, but I’m so happy about the theme that I’d probably have taken it even if I didn’t have to. I always appreciate it when alternative mediums are considered in literary discussions and I fully intend to drag my passion for games into this class. I hope you’re ready for it !