An Introduction Post: Including a Picture of my Pet Birds to Lure You In!

Hello everybody!

My name is Madeline, but you can call me Maddy. I use she/her pronouns and am an English major with a Creative Writing minor at Stony Brook University. I’m going into my senior year, which feels so unreal! I took off a year during COVID, so it felt like I’d never reach graduation, but now it’s just around the corner!

I’m very excited for this upcoming year. I play drums in the marching band here at Stony Brook, which is definitely my favorite non-school activity I do. This year I’ve been chosen for drum captain – a position I’ve wanted since I first started marching – and I couldn’t be more excited! If you go to any football games, keep an eye out for me – I’ll be the blonde girl yelling directions at the drumline. I’ll also be living in a house with other people in band, which is going to be TONS of fun!

Besides drumline, I love to read and write. I enjoy mostly fantasy and sci-fi. I’ve had writers block recently, so I’ve been rereading the Percy Jackson series – my go-to – to get me passionate again.

Of course I have to brag about my pet doves. Their names are Mordecai (the one farthest away in the photo) and Rigby (the one closest to the camera), and they’re my best friends. They like to sleep, eat peas and edamame beans, and look out the window. They also make a laughing noise which cracks me up daily (look up “ringneck dove, burt” on YouTube if you want a sample, that video is amazing). Here’s a cute candid picture of them with my boyfriend Riley.

I’m taking this class for a credit, but the topic of this class caused me to take this instead of a different one. I love sci-fi and the topic of cognition in relation to sci-fi sounds super interesting.

I’m excited to start learning with you guys!

One thought on “An Introduction Post: Including a Picture of my Pet Birds to Lure You In!

1. Hi Maddy,

Great to have you in class! And congratulations on your upcoming graduation. That is a huge accomplishment, especially during covid.

Your living arrangements with your band mates sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

I also love fantasy! It is by far the genre that I read the most of. I’m in a book club with a couple of other English Department grad students and we’ve been reading Sarah J. Maas, which has been a blast.