The Mind and Body, a Team or Separate Entities?

In the three episodes we had to watch this week, the ideas relating to the body, mind, and soul are explored through the characters and plot. In the Futurama episode “The Day the Earth Stood Stupid”, the idea of the brain being its own entity was depicted throughout, demonstrating the different ideas relating to Cartesian Dualism  In one the beginning scenes (6:25), Leela is being chased by the brain spawn invading Earth. The brains did not speak, nor did they show any evidence of being able to communicate verbally (besides the Giant evil brain), they were still able to move around on their own accord without the need of a body. This ties in with the  “ghost in a machine” mentality when thinking about the consciousness/soul of a person, as we were seeing the ghost without the machine. In a scene later on in the episode (16:01), Fry and Leela find the big evil brain in the library. He says to them “ we have long since evolved beyond the need for asses”, showing how he is able to exist on his own and looks down upon the humans who are stuck in their physical bodies. This is similar to how Cartesian Dualism was described as the mind being separate from and elevated above the body, as we see the Brains tend to float above the humans in the episode. Fry is able to defeat the evil brain at the end of the episode by physically writing a new story and trapping the brain inside, which calls into question the limits of the so-called “ghost” or evil brain when it isn’t connected to a “machine”. 

Fry trapping the evil brain in a book

In Netflix’s Altered Carbon, Kovac’s introduction to the world has him grappling with his past self and the new body that he now inhabits. In the scene (11:59) where he and the other people who received new sleeves are receiving an orientation on their new bodies, it gives us insight on how the characters view the mind and the body. The society built in this tv show expresses the importance of a mind/soul over a body. It seems that the physical bodies are not valued as a person’s consciousness is stored within a what they call a stack, located within a person’s spine.

Stack within a sleeve

The lady tells Kovac and the rest of the people that “inside is pure human mind, coded and stored as DHF: Digital Human Freight. Your Consciousness can be downloaded into any stack, in any sleeve. You can even needle cast in minutes to sleeve anywhere in the Settled Worlds. A sleeve is replaceable, but if your stack is destroyed, you die. There is no coming back from real death”. Death seems to only become a reality when the stack is involved, whereas the physical body, or sleeve, is replaceable. Similar to the Futurama episode, there is a distinction made between the body and the mind. The fact that people’s consciousness are not restricted to one sleeve, or in this case a singular lifetime, shows that the mind is able to function and continue on once its current body has run its course. In this scene, the show uses high technology graphics to demonstrate the complexity and mechanics behind the stacks that are placed within the bodies. This parallels the idea of Cybernetics, and how the stack, or mind, is the software and the sleeve is the hardware. Also, just as a computer stores information, the stack stores the memories of a person’s past life as well as the traits that make up their identity. 

Sargon in Kirk’s body looking at the receptacles storing the other consciousnesses

In the Star Trek episode, they seemed to take a different approach on how the mind and body are connected, and explore how the body plays a bigger part than some may expect. When Sargon enters Kirk’s body for the first time to demonstrate his abilities (11:57), he notes the physical sensations that he experiences being back in the human form. He can feel the air in his lungs and his heart pumping, and explains that he misses experiencing those things. This is an example of Embodied cognition, as his consciousness and soul seemed incomplete when he was trapped inside the receptacle. This is seen again later on when Henoch is taunting Thalassa about placing her consciousness inside of a robot while she is currently inside of a human body (31:24). He tells her “In two days, you will have hands of your own again Thalassa. Mechanically efficient and quite human-looking. Android robot hands, of course. Hands without feeling. Enjoy the taste of life while you can”. The idea of Embodied cognition is being reinforced by Henoch, as he doesn’t view his existence as full without a live body to experience life through. In the lecture it was discussed that “ a body is not something you have; it is something you are”, and without that body your soul may not be completely whole. Later on Sargon states that  “We need your bodies so that we may live again”, leading us to think that living involves interacting physically with other life, and not just existing as a consciousness. From this episode, cognition is represented as extended as well, especially with the relationship between Sargon and Thalassa, who are husband and wife. Their consciousnesses remained together for many years, but they weren’t able to really connect until they were inside other people’s bodies and could physically touch each other again. 

4 thoughts on “The Mind and Body, a Team or Separate Entities?

1. Hi Sarah,

Great analysis of the Futurama episode. I really love your close reading of the line about “evolution.” As you note, the Evil Brain’s believe that they are more advanced than humans speaks to the Cartesian elevation of the mind of the body. Also, your point about how Fry uses his body to write a physical book that traps the Evil Brain in a realm of cognition and imagination is really astute and it certainly undermines some of the Brain’s claims about its superiority.

You make some really strong connections between the Futurama episode and Altered Carbon. I think that you’re absolutely right to draw a connection to cybernetics here. As long as the mind (the operating system) is installed into any hardware (the body) the mind can continue. We do see something similar to this in the Star Trek episode as well—the minds outlast the bodies of the entities, stored in orbs until they are put into new bodies. But, as you note, this embodiment is presented as being very different from their previously disembodied states (your observation that their cognition is incomplete without their bodies is great). Still, there is still an element in this episode that presumes the mind as being able to be separate from the body–to survive outside of it.

2. Hi Sarah!
    I like the approach you took with Futurama. We definitely had different ideas, but I can see how Cartesian Dualism fits with this episode, especially with the big evil brain’s statement to Leela and Fry about being “beyond the need for asses.” I looked over that! It implies that there’s capabilities among a species to be able to experience cognition without the body.

I think the quote you mentioned about death being involved with the destruction of the stack in Altered Carbon was significant. As you said, the body is replaceable, but the stack isn’t. To these characters, the body is simply a vessel for what withholds their cognition and experience as people. They are capable of becoming completely different people. There was that one scene with the 7-year-old child stuck in an older woman’s sleeve. To us, it is strange. To the characters, this is just an unfortunate situation.

I definitely noticed the body playing a bigger role in Star Trek as well. Sargon and Thalassa are certainly alive, but they aren’t living. You can tell how much they craved to feel and sense again when they take over Captain Kirk and Dr. Ann Mulhall’s bodies. We even see Thalassa almost allow her urge to take over the body for good happen, to which she eventually regains her senses and calms down.

1. Hi Sara,

I love your observation about how Sargon and Thalassa are “alive” but aren’t living because of their lack of bodies. Theorist of embodied cognition might also ask us to think about how the lack of a body to move through and perceive the world might affect their ability to think about it.

3. Hi Sara!

I love the inclusion of the time stamps, how orderly of you, I cannot say I am the same, super jealous of that precision you got there! I find it fascinating that you decided to analyze the brains for Futurama, I didn’t even think to do that. you analyzed the brains, and I the body, there’s gonna be some metaphor in there based on this whole class. What that metaphor is though, I have no idea, that’s above my pay grade, and at least a few notches above my intelligence. Your understanding of the ending and how it was supposed to correlate to the detriment of a brain without a body is so interesting. I hadn’t even thought of it that way.

And I adored your analysis of Star Trek. being able to be conscious of your said cognition must be torturous. To be able to be aware of all that you are missing because of the breakdown of communication between brain and body (well, because you know, they don’t have one) is maddening. I appreciate your picking up on Thalassa and Sargon’s loneliness felt by being with each other but never being cognitively able to be with one another.

Amazing analysis and I can’t wait to read more of your work! Here’s to your beautiful format and insightful subject matter! 🙂