I Almost Forgot To Post This

Marjorie Prime

The film’s focus is on the character Marjorie who suffers from memory loss. The image of her young husband retells stories to her, using episodic memories. She doesn’t remember the day previous, like when he told her about getting a dog before they have children. She adds in little things, additions to how she felt, and he responds “I’ll remember that.” 

We find out that this image is a technology like an AI called a Prime. Walter Prime is like a vessel then for memory. 

The script itself talks about memory a lot on a scientific basis. Tess reiterates that you remember the last time you remembered a memory and not the memory at its source. 

Music is predominant in this film, what Marjorie chooses to listen to and she talks about her desire to play the violin, she remembers how to read music and the names of the strings, the first song she learned. In a scene before this, Tess plays the piano after a discussion about memory. This feels like a subliminal message about how music sticks with you over other things, could it be that this is an example of affect as information, information as memory retrieval? 

Earlier in the film, the story of how Marjorie was proposed to is much different from the memory that comes when she looks at her wedding ring, which is a real example of affect of information since looking at the ring prompted her to remember. I think she was also influenced to remember by the story, a part of her might have realized it wasn’t the real thing that happened, affect of priming? 

The different primes are made up of the autobiographical self but it’s composed of the perception of memories of the family members making the Primes more biographical. A question asked at one point is to a prime was, do you have emotions?

What I like about this film is that it’s a real depiction of what it’s like to take care of someone with memory problems, aside from the science fiction of the AI technology. 

There are a lot of layers to this film, I liked the subtle revelation that Marjorie had passed away. This was one of the sadder movies I have watched in my life, so intentional from every shot, what they choose to include in every scene (the mess, the whisky, etc.); really excellent filmmaking. 

Star Trek “The Measure of a Man”

Firstly, I have been watching the Star Trek episodes on my computer and I watched this one on my TV, I can’t believe the amount of makeup they put on the person who plays Data! 

The scene that stood out the most to me was when Data was gathering the items that have meaning to him, looking at them nostalgically and Commander Maddox comes in to try to convince him to undergo the procedure of taking him apart, saying he will keep his memories. Datas main concern is those memories loosing their essence, the emotions that come with them. 

The common theme of the two works is: are computers able to conceptualize memories and feel? 

Also, I think the films for this week and last were kind of interchangeable due to that theme. These last two modules were my favorite to learn about and had me thinking about the lectures in my day to day life, too. 

I have to say, I’m glad I don’t have to watch any more films or television episodes! This class has reinforced that I’m a book person and not a television or movie person. However, the films were great reinforcers of the concepts we learned throughout the course, and I enjoyed making connections between the two. 

3 thoughts on “I Almost Forgot To Post This

1. Hi Meghan,

I am so glad that you enjoyed Marjorie Prime! It is definitely a slower film (it was based on a play and you can tell; a lot of it is just people sitting around talking), but I agree that it was beautifully done and really too perfect for this class not to include it in our syllabus. I love your description of the AI technology of the Primes as a “vessel for memory.” I think that we can make strong connections between this observation and some of the theoretical work done in extended cognition. In many ways, Marjorie is offloading her memory onto the Prime. As her dementia worsens, she is unable to remembers details of her past for her. It is not so different from the list that Clark and Chalmers discuss in their theorization of the extended mind.

Thinking about whether or not AI can feel is a great way to connect these two texts (and is a pretty central theme in a lot of science fiction). I am also struck by the role that material items have in construction and experience of memory, which your blog highlights. In your discussion of Marjorie Prime, you note that Marjorie’s memory of Walter’s proposal is different when she looks at the ring than the story that Walter Prime rehearses. We might also think about the connection between Data’s memories and the keepsakes that he packs.

2. Hi Meghan, nice analysis. I like how you focused on not only the script of “Marjorie Prime”, but you also focused on the music aspect of the film. I also liked how you mentioned the affect of information regarding Marjorie’s wedding ring, but I also think that can be attributed to the movie that was being played during the proposal. Also, I do find it remarkable that they put a lot of makeup on Brent Spiner, the guy who played Data, but I think that he did a phenomenal performance. For Data’s concern of memories losing its essence, it shows that he has a sense of sentience and is not just an emotionless robot.

3. Hi Meghan,
    Very thrilling. In the past few weeks, I have watched the sci-fi movies I liked the last two weeks the most, which is more suitable for our life. I love your blog; the most exciting thing is that you mentioned: “a vessel then for memory.” I am also considering whether artificial intelligence can merge memory and emotion, these two concepts. I’m glad you paid attention to the music in the video. To be honest, I didn’t notice it, haha. I also saw that the makeup of Brent Spiner, who plays Data is bizarre, reminds me of the Chinese version of zombies, lol; maybe the director wants to give a message that robots have no emotions. But Brent Spiner’s performance was excellent, especially since Data refused surgery to preserve his memory, which made him seem like a “human being.”