Analysis Blog #5

This week we watched Marjorie Prime and the Star Trek: TNG episode “Measure of a Man”. What I thought was interesting about both of these texts was how similar yet different they are. They both deal with the creation of memories through the experiences has with different people. At the same time, they are both different because one deals with how a memory, no matter how fond or intimate, can be easily rewritten or even convoluted as you grow older and the other deals with our certain certain objects both define a memory and how that memory is associated to things.

As a Star Trek fan, this is one of my favorite episodes. I have a real soft spot for Data and how his sole purpose is to be human or to be as human as possible. The one scene I would like to focus on is the court room scene. Although this scene has alot to do with Data’s rights as both a sentient android and his rights as a StarfleetRevisiting Star Trek TNG: The Measure Of A Man | Den of Geek officer on board the Enterprise, Picard uses Data’s memories as a way to argue that Data is able to feel and self-aware of the deep feelings he and other people have. Picard brings a tote of various objects that Data has a very intimate connection to. During his cross-examination of Data, Picard pulls out two things that have a deep and intimate impact on Data. The first is a book that was gifted to him by PIcard. Data says that the book “is a reminder of friendship and service”. Picard then pulls out a hologram of the late Tasha Yar. Data is hesitant to talk about it as the hologram has a deep, emotional meaning to him. Data says: “She was special to me, sir. We were… intimate.” This object, if not both, is the reason why Picard and Data win the court case. In relation to the voice thread, the scene has a lot to do with extended cognition–part of the reason why we keep certain things with us in our life is because of what they make us remember. They help us remember people, places, and events and how they’ve shaped who we are.

Marjorie Prime (2017) - IMDb

I loved the concept of Marjorie Prime. It reminded me a bit of Blade Runner 2049  and topic of human v. hologram in that. Unlike Blade Runner however, Marjorie Prime is easier to follow and explain in relation to the topic at hand. I think this movie is a good representation of how our memories change. I feel as if our memories change to bring us more comfort as we age especially when we start to lose our memories; we change certain things to make ourselves feel more safe and secure whether we realize it or not. Another reason is that we’re not just remembering the original event but our memory of the event as well–this is a good example of why eye-witness accounts are, most time, very unreliable.

4 thoughts on “Analysis Blog #5

1. Hi Paul!

I really enjoyed your response and connected the films to each other and Marjorie Prime to another film. You had a lot on insight on both films. I like how the Star Trek episode used sentimental items to show that they had a connection and the memory was important. I feel like Data talking about the items showed the Theory of Emotional Construction because he remembered the experience and context of it.

I didn’t realize it until I read your response, but Marjorie wanted to change her memories because remembering sweet things like her proposal in a way that’ll make her happy after she can’t remember herself makes her feel safe and secure.

Reply

2. Hey Paul!
    I really like your post especially your perspective on the Star Trek episode as you are a true fan of the show. I discussed the two items Picard showed in the court case and I really loved how you connected it to the extended cognition that the professor talked about in the voice thread. I LOVE how you said that you feel memories change over time to bring us more comfort. I think this is absolutely true. Even more so I think this idea connects to the Star Trek episode I think just as Data held onto those items we hold onto items in real life as well because they bring us comfort.

Reply

3. I absolutely love the Data appreciation and how you explained him! Data has always been one of my favorite characters because he does not let his emotions get in the way of what he does and yet still cares deeply for his crew members and love. When Picard showed the court all of Data’s personal belongings it showed that he not only had emotions but he created bonds with many different people. He may have been able to back up his memories into another body but the memories would not have been the same.

Reply

4. Hi Paul,

I like your observation about the book and the hologram of Tasha Yar that Data packs when he believes that he is leaving the Enterprise are an example of extended cognition. As you note, these are items that Data remembers with. He offloads some of his cognition onto them. That is, in fact, part of the reason why we all have similar keepsakes. We might think about how the Primes in Marjorie Prime fill a similar function. Memories are offloaded onto them, so that the characters remember with and through them.

Reply