Annemarie Waugh

Annemarie Waugh

Artist’s Website: annemariewaugh.com

Biography:

Annemarie Waugh is a visual artist, poet, educator, and activist. She was born in the United Kingdom, received a BA Honors from Central St Martins, and is currently based in New York. Waugh works primarily in painting, installation, and poetry, she often incorporates messy things—including her stories and poems, plants, nail polish, chocolate, and her voice. Currently, she is scribbling like mad, writing glitchy bits, and painting with plastic.

Artist Statement:

I bring attention to environmental and social concerns using text, humor, and material exploration. Working primarily in painting and poetry, my art often playfully literalizes my concepts. I begin with research. From there, I chose a title, which acts as a conceptual framework for my work.

For the Zuccaire Gallery, I will present a series of paintings that weave construction materials and poetry about the forest. Alongside will be a video I have created about the loss of the forest. In these strange times, I find myself wanting to escape and the woods have been a place of escape.

Barking mad, 2021
Oak bark, flagging tape, house paint

Berried treasure, 2021
Holly berries, concrete house paint
Ivy league, 2021
Ivy, concrete
And snail, moth and bat, 2021
Bark paper, flagging tape, plastic, caution tape