Atreyo Mukherjee

Hello! I am Atreyo Mukherjee, a fourth year PHD candidate at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Stony Brook University.  My journey from an admirer of science to a graduate student working on a state-of-the-art solid-state avalanche photodetector has been an enriching experience. After completing my bachelor’s in electrical engineering, from Vellore Institute of Technology, India, I realized a void in my knowledge of semiconductor device physics and hence decided to pursue a master’s degree at the Electrical Engineering department at Arizona State University. During my MS program, I was able to tie my knowledge in solid state electronics in a full circle and work with the latest industry level technology in FinFets, charge coupled devices, memory devices, and Gallium Nitride field effect transistors etc.  In the year 2017, I was fortunate to be a part of a collaboration with Dr. Goldan, at the department of Radiology, Stony Brook Medicine. During this time, I developed a keen interest into the physics of charge carrier transport in disordered amorphous selenium, and its potential as a direct/indirect conversion detector for radiation detection applications. Thus, I joined as a PhD student in the Novel Medical Imagining Goldan laboratory, at Stony Brook University.

As a part of my doctorate research, I perform stochastic modeling, fabrication, electrical and optical characterization of amorphous avalanche Selenium detectors. My PhD research seeks to address a long-standing research interest of developing a true solid-state alternative to a vacuum photomultiplier tube, with applications in the field of photonics, astronomy, spectroscopy, medical imaging, quantum optics and quantum information science. From the theoretical perspective, my research will greatly enhance scientific insight into the nature of carrier transport in disordered structures. I have helped develop simulations for physically based modeling of transport via extended-states and for modeling of the peculiar nature of the hole impact ionization process in amorphous selenium.