Marlena Urban

video
video Info
  • Advisor: Howardena Pindell

A Glimpse of the Familiar

Who I am is reflected in my art, while painting I relive the experiences of each scene. The scenes depicted in my paintings I first captured through photographs. I use photos for their ability to freeze fleeting moments of light and energy in time. The qualities of the images aren’t important to me, because they are bookmarks of reality, and I am brought directly back to the place. To embrace these essences is to feel what it means to be alive and to appreciate these experiences.

I have done six paintings for this exhibition, all of which are subjects of what I surround myself with most. Between my pet cockatiel, landscapes, or nature; these are times in my life where I am happy. In the process of my painting, I translate the feeling I had while in each moment. The layers of paint with my palette knives are direct translations of memories and feelings being emerged. Regardless of what application method or medium I choose; my art is my outlet for meditation in my life. My focus is on moments where that energy is at a high, and that is reflected best through the intimacy of light.

Title: It’s Sunny All the Time, Date: April 2020, Dimensions: 36” x 34”, Medium: Oil on canvas

Title: Sunset through a Cage, Date: April 2020, Dimensions: 16” x 20”, Medium: Oil on canvas

Title: The Light to Home, Date: April 2020, Dimensions: 24” x 30”, Medium: Oil on canvas

Title: Stillness in Solitude, Date: April 2020, Dimensions: 24” x 36”, Medium: Oil on canvas

Title: A Blanket in the Clovers, Date: April 2020, Dimensions: 36” x 48”, Medium: Oil on canvas

Title: A Flight in the Night, Date: April 2020, Dimensions: 30” x 24”, Medium: Oil on canvas

*All photos taken and edited by Nicole Lundahl.