Zhengnan Li

video
video Info
  • Advisor: Martin Levine

Noggin Compendium
    Zhengnan Li
    Storytelling is art.

There is always another layer to an artwork; another angle or subtext beyond the physical work before your eyes. When I see a piece of artwork, there’s a fascination with the story about everything that led up to this moment of awe. The media the artist consumed, the people that shaped their childhood, every thought they had leading up to the conceptualization of the piece, and every time they’ve doubted that concept since then; that is the story behind the work, and I think that is just as important as the piece itself. 

Hanging on the walls of the exhibition is a record of my mind throughout this semester. Whether it’s a bizarre idea born out of a nonsensical conversation with a friend, or a self-deprecating thought emerging during a state of emotional distress; these are the bits of my noggin, if you will, that I kept a note of throughout these last months roaming the studio space.

Title: untitled, Date: 2023, Medium: Ink and Linocut on paper, Dimensions: 42″ x 72″

The first scroll made with ink brushes and linoleum print is a visual representation of the previously mentioned list of thoughts. The characters and interactions depicted throughout the 6-foot-long scroll were created gradually over the course of several weeks. The creation process involved several brush pens and frequent glances at my notes, which were constantly updated as the opening date of the exhibition approached. 

In terms of storytelling, I think characters are overwhelmingly important. If the adage “write what you know” is anything to go by, characters can be the truest reflection of their creator. The characters in this exhibition are all a reflection of me; my experience and what stayed with me. 

Every part of this piece has a story and everything has an explanation for its inclusion in this scene. The two giants on the left are influenced stylistically by old cartoons I have seen such as Doraemon and Crayon Shin-Chan; both being an unforgettable part of my childhood. I was recently reminded The consumption of them is undoubtedly part of the reason for my love of cartoons and animated media in general. The pagoda in the middle of the image was inspired by an old Chinese folklore involving two snake spirits. In my artwork, I have created my own story involving two snakes trapped inside a pagoda, their fates remain undetermined. Surround the building are characters that wish them ill or are praying for their safety. Without realizing it, the scene ended up with more characters that pray for the safety of the snakes, perhaps a subconscious reminder to myself regarding the people around me. There seem to be more people that care about me than I had realized. Every character is a reflection of me.

Littered amongst the mostly black line work are several prints created with the linocut printmaking technique. The lino prints on my piece are all made with color, making all of them stand out from the rest of the imagery. Those parts of the image surrounding the linoleum prints signify their importance to me as well as the narrative of the image. For instance, the scene near the center of the image depicts my grandpa, who passed away recently, playing mahjong. Surround the mahjong table are a snake and a bug on broccoli; both characters from memories surrounding my grandfather I remember vividly. Moreover, I’ve come to associate the sound of clashing tiles with a time of relaxation and joy. I didn’t know my grandfather that well, but I choose to remember him fondly.

Title: untitled, Date: 2023, Medium: Ink on paper, Dimensions: 42″ x 72″

The second scroll made entirely with red ink depicts a scene where characters at a gathering; having fun and enjoying each other’s company. A representation of the fondness I will undoubtedly have for these times in college. The two etchings titled Lantern Head are of a character I created whose body can only manifest if there is something to hold up the lantern, hence the dragon. There is something symbolic about lanterns that I really like; it is light during times of darkness that helps guide you. That also ties in with the fact that the character necessitates help from someone else, something I’ve been unwilling to do over the years.

Title: Lantern Head, Date: 2023, Medium: Intaglio on paper, Dimensions: 7″ x 10 “

Title: Lantern Head, Date: 2023, Medium: Intaglio on paper, Dimensions: 8″ x 10 “

Once again, what I put down on the page is representative of my experience and what stayed with me. From cultural folklore to historical fashion, everything I have come across that manages to take up residence in this noggin of mine influences my artwork constantly. 

Noggin Compendium is an exploration of myself throughout this semester. There exists, on paper, parts, and slivers of me that I express through visual storytelling. Doubt, malice, joy, compassion, and so on and so on; for better or worse, these characters are influenced by and represent those parts of me. 

Title: untitled, Date: 2023, Medium: Intaglio on paper, Dimensions: 7” x 10”

Title: Guarding the Last Loaf of Garlic Bread, Date: 2023, Medium: Lithograph on paper, Dimensions: 22” x 30”