Ralph Gibson Reflection

After looking at Gibson’s work we see yet another artist who shoes that analog photography is long from dead.  Gibson works with both color and black and white photography.  Even in recent years, he still uses black and white photography.  The pictures he takes from both methods get him excellent results.  I think it’s great that even today he still continues to use black and white photography for some of his work.

Gibson uses a wide array of subject matter in his work.  One of his series that I found to be most interesting was from 2011; it was entitled Nature Morte.  In most of his work we can see that Gibson uses a lot of contrast.  This particular series he may have used it the most.  For example, he has a lot of photographs (possibly photograms) of masks that are entirely black and white- no gray.

I also enjoy the subject matter that Gibson chose to use.  He uses a lot of masks in this series which I believe can be used as symbolism.  A mask can be used to falsely represent someone or something.  I believe that this can be said about photography as a whole because a photograph can be deceiving and doesn’t always have to be used as fact.  I also think its great that he photographs so many masks in many different lights to show the difference between both them and how they can be viewed differently based on how they are photographed.