Regarding the Pain of Others Analysis

“Who believes today that war can be abolished? No one, not even pacifists. We hope only (so far in vain) to stop genocide and to bring to justice those who commit gross violations of the laws of war (for there are laws of war, to which combatants should be held), and to be able to stop specific wars by imposing negotiated alternatives to armed conflict.”

With this quote Sontag acknowledges that war is not something that can be stopped.  Even the most optimistic know that it is a lost cause and then completely eradicating war is impossible.   She claims that the best that can happen is to lessen the effects of war, limit its reach and punish those who break the rules of it.  This of course is not an ideal situation, however; it is completely true.  While I would not like to take it as truth I do agree with it and admire that Sontag is telling the truth about the issue at hand.

” Of course the photographer saw it. And unless there’s been some tampering or misrepresenting, it is the truth.”

In the above quote Sontag is talking about how photographs are used for documentation.  She is talking about captions and how they used to tell facts about the image not relay the photographers opinions.  She claims that unless the photograph is altered it is the truth.  I agree and believe that an unedited photograph is the best way to spread information.  It is a way to show others what is going on and let them form their own opinions on the matter.

“During the Vietnam era, war photography became, normatively, a criticism of war”

I find it interesting how it is specified that Vietnam war pictures were a criticism of war.  I would assume most war photographs would be an abjection.  I believe that this quote really shows the change of photography (especially war) over time.  Previously war photographs were mainly just documentation not as much as a voice.  Now, they have opinions behind them.