Windsor, Rachael and Goodbye London

Now we’re on the Eurostar to Paris. We leave St Pancrass Station and almost immediately decend into our first tunnel. After about 7-8 minutes we emerge in sunlight with the London skyline way in the distance. My ears pop off and on as we change elevation in the tunnel. Just like a plane ride. A bit of travel noise and slight rocking. After about 12-15 minutes we make a stop at Ebbsfleet. So much for express! It’s really neat watching the countryside fly by and I’m anticipating our entrance into the chunnel. I think it’s less dramatic than it sounds as we’ll be moving quickly through total darkness.  I’m correct.  It’s dark and not at all dramatic.  No indication that you’re entering or leaving but it is a cool way to get to the continent.
Crowded cab ride to the station.  Ted is NOT happy!

St Pancrass Station, London
Last night was another fun evening as we had dinner in our apartment with Rachael Champion. She is now married (surprise!) and working as an artist in London. I so happy to see her looking well and happy and living the dream of traveling and creating art. She is an amazing lady, biking around London and the world. Great job, Rachael!  But my gross error was to fail to take a photo of Rachael.  Agghhh!
Earlier in the day, we visited the incomparable Windsor Castle. I’ve seen Versailles so I thought this would be nice, but it was truly grand. The castle is Versailles size, though the grounds are not, and it is a magnificently ornate and beautiful castle. Great artwork and furniture abound and no expense was spared in the construction and furnishing of this place. Also, didn’t realize that it was over 1000 years old. Unlike Versailles, photos were not allowed so I have no interior shots, but the sights were extraordinary. My favorite was St Georges Chapel completed during Henry VIII reign. The attention to detail in the woodwork and stonework was remarkable and so beautiful. Almost made me want to purchase a book of pictures of this amazing church. Nah, just kidding.  Incidentally, Henry is buried there along with Jayne Seymour.
I made a friend just as we were leaving. One of the castle dogs was being walked and he insisted that I play ball with him.  Who’s a playful little guy!
St Georges Chapel

The grounds are beautiful

Alright, but this is the last time!
The town of Windsor, which surrounds the castle, was charming and quaint in that typical English way. Between the rail station and the castle entrance (about ΒΌ mile) there is one eating establishment after another. I guess everyone arrives hungry, like we did, or would like a meal before heading back to London (50 minute train trip). I was amused to find McDonalds, Pizza Hut and Starbucks separated only by an English Pub lining the boulevard. Funny sight. We can’t escape!

This is why they hate us!  McDonalds just out of view.
Good night Queen!  Good night Windsor!