At Last, Athens

More Athens photos can be found by clicking on this link.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Athens.  I guess reading about their deep economic problems led me to believe that things would look really bad, but it is a beautiful, vibrant city.  There is a terrible unemployment problem here and the Greeks are really in a malaise.  Though they speak openly about how bad things have gotten, I detect a real strength and dignity among the people we met.

The shopping district was really nice
It’s beautiful here!  Nice apartments, cafe dining, pedestrian malls.
Not bad for late November.
Lot’s of orange trees around the city
They do have that most European of problems though; graffiti.  We’ve seen way too much of it and it’s particularly bad here.  Venice too.  Man, I hate graffiti.  It makes a city look run down. I’m pleased it has improved so much in New York since the 70’s, but I am surprised to see how prevalent it is here in Europe.  Maybe that’s the indicator of a restive, unemployed population.
Meanwhile, the Acropolis  and the Acropolis museum were great.  The museum is state of the art and beautifully designed.  We had a great lunch there where we finally got some internet service.  
Side note: This is where I was notified that the sim card purchased in London had run out of money. What a bust that was!  For 30 pounds sterling (about $50) I got terrible service and after one week my allotment is already spent!  But they want me to “top up” and buy more service?  Fat chance.  So it looks like we’ll be out of contact with the world except when we can get some internet service.  
Anyway, back to our Athenian visit.  So many of the important pieces from the Acropolis are preserved in the museum.  Except those that were spirited away by Lord Elgin for the British Museum.  And except what was destroyed by the Turks centuries ago.  Let me say this:  the Greeks are pissed!  And in the written explanations at the museum, the Greek’s bitterness shines through.  They are clearly not happy about the desecration of the Acropolis by the Ottomans in the 15th century or about what they lost as a result.  I mean, these grudges never end.
It is a fascinating place nonetheless and crammed with antiquities.  It’s amazing to read and hear of dates that all begin with B.C.  I mean this place is old what with these famous buildings being built in the 5th century BC.

Here’s a model of the Parthenon as it was 400 BC

And here’s the Erechtheion, the important temple
located next to the Parthenon.

Acropolis from Acropolis Museum

And here are photos of the actual Acropolis as it looks today, located right up the hill from the museum.  Notice the Parthenon and Erechtheion before (in the museum) and after (today).

The Parthenon
More Parthenon

Erechtheion

This is the Erechtheion, the temple dedicated to both Athena and Poseidon.  It’s adjacent to the Parthenon and it seems to be the most important site at the Acropolis.  The Porch of the Caryatids is considered very important.  So much so that what is seen on site today is a reproduction as the originals were moved to the museum.  An impressive work of sculpture 2,400 years old.

The Porch of the Caryatids (Maidens) at Erechtheion

Theater of Dionysus
Accommodated 17, 000 spectators!  Greek theater was invented here.

Theater seats
Camouflage dog.  Even his tags match the flower colors

Acropolis rubble

Athens from the Acropolis
Another view of Athens

Notice how repairs are made.  The white in the photo is new marble specially fitted to replace what has been lost or damaged.  The repair looks seamless.

Restoration in the Parthenon is ongoing

So long Acropolis!

See you next in Turkey!