Week 10: 04/03/2015 Tours and Sparky/html plus some Shadowing

html

This week during my shadowing with Adrienne and Jen Sang we went in-depth and talked about public and consultant workshops. They both shared with me about the basic procedures when setting up workshops for students. They informed me that consultants give 1-3 workshops every month depending on when they send their availability to Chris/Tara. Adrienne recommended that I create a Google Drive folder and share it with them two so that it makes it easier to explain documentation, power points, and Google sites. The three are first shared with Tara who goes over them and offers helpful tips on how to improve them for the workshop. I was informed that Tara will also provide a feedback form so that we can get an idea of what students thought of the workshop. In the beginning of the semester Tara will ask for availability and consultants send in the hours. Afterwards, the hours are assigned and senior consultants go about sharing the Google Drive folder. When the workshops are set up, the consultant in charge are to email those that are attending, 24 hours in advance as reminder that they signed up for workshop. Once the workshop is in session, the first thing to do is to have a section on your Google site and use Google form to take attendance. Afterwards, start the workshop and at the end make sure everyone has filled out the survey.

During the week, I had the chance to shadow Adrienne’s Excel basic workshop. There were more people at the workshop than I expected and we had students from all different majors attend. Overall, it was a really good experience seeing a senior consultant teach workshop because it will help prepare me for when I have my own workshops. I managed to help her out by going around the classroom and seeing if students needed help and occasionally trying Excel  for myself on one of the computers.

During my shadowing with site manager senior consultants, we went over how scheduling works during the temp, perm and final weeks. A site manager before the assigned week starts, will send an email out to the consult-l list asking for availability for their remote site. In the email request there will be questions such as open/close priority, if you have ever worked in the site before and when, required workshops if needed, hours of availability, and a special word to see if people read the complete email. Once the email has been sent there is a given deadline to respond by and then it’s up to the senior consultant on how they want to schedule the SINC site.

In this week’s class we toured computer sites across campus such as the one in ESS and Physics. Afterwards, we walked over to Harriman Hall where we learned about Sparky, HTML, and Dreamweaver from senior consultants, Steven, Celia, and Victoria. Each one gave us a presentation and helpful documentation on logging in and creating a simple web page. They showed us things from adding simple texts and header to changing the background color to adding links and creating lists. I found the class to be a good fresh reminder on html because I had taken a web design class during my first semester at Stony Brook.

Skip to toolbar