Week 13: 04/24/2015 Final Presentation and some Shadowing

final-presentation-collection-system

During my help desk shadowing I again managed all functions of the help desk by answering phone calls, live chats, and emails. I did help a user that came in and had trouble uploading a video file to her e-portfolio. The user was getting an error message where it stated that the file size was too small which is interesting because usually the error message is that file is too large to upload. I informed the user to try a different browser or try to upload the video file on a SINC site computer. The user thanked us and left afterwards to try uploading from a SINC site computer. My second time shadowing at help desk with Jennifer Sang I also took over the general duties and ended up filling out a footprint ticket in regards to a student not being able to see their grades on blackboard. The error was strange because they could see the grades under my assignments tab but they could not see the grades under my tools. I informed the user to try opening it up in a different browser but it did not resolve the issue. I told the user that we would create a footprint ticket and elevate the issue to our Blackboard specialist, Jen Jaiswal to get back to them as soon as possible. When you don’t know an answer at all, it’s important to know when to ask for help from faculty members in order to resolve an issue as soon as possible and not waste any time.

During my site manager shadowing shift with Sharon and Erika, it was a very busy shift but I though of it as a regular shift and preformed the same functions that I usually do. I took attendance on SBconnect and answered questions that people asked at the front desk. It seems to be fairly busy at this time of shadowing which I think is good because it provides a good experience for what I potentially might face next semester if I become a senior consultant.

This week was the first class for final presentations and I have to say, everyone did really well with their Google Sites and documentations. The first group to go was Frank and Glenn where they went over the DoIT (Division of Information Technology) branch. I think that they did a great presentation and was interested in hearing about the future of Stony Brook’s IT areas. In five years the integration of more iPads, iPhones, Mac Minis and Apple TV’s will definitely help contribute to the schools role in active learning. I feel that the use of more technology in the school will help make it easier to spread the word about programs and services that DoIT supports. In regards to other news from DoIT, I am glad to hear that over the last few semesters Wi-Fi access points have been added around campus as there is times where I would like internet access when walking from class to class. A second presentation that I really liked was done by Lu Lu and Stanley on TLT Instructional Technology where they provided a fill in the blank questionnaire for the consultants. During the presentation they talked about the services that they support such as clickers, Echo360, and e-books for students. I found the questionnaire to be a good way for presenters to keep their audience engaged and active through out the presentation. A few simple questions helps to keep people on track focused on the presentation. Another presentation that went on Friday was of Audio Visual Services done by Ally and David. The presentation provided a lot of insight into AV services and really opened my eyes to the number of different types of equipment that they loan out. Some of the equipment that they loan out include computers, projectors, audio players, audio recorders, microphones, and much more. I think as future senior consultants it’s important to know where AV services is located and what type of equipment they provide in case a student or faculty member has a question.

Skip to toolbar