Reflection #6- “Sugar” by Maroon 5

My cousin Michelle is a self professed hopeless romantic, so when she told me that “Sugar” by Maroon 5 was her current personal anthem, I wasn’t entirely surprised. She had little to say about the instrumentation of the song, or even the meaning of the lyrics- to her, the infectious beat was enough to keep her hooked.

Another interesting aspect of “Sugar” is the story behind the music video. The band’s lead singer, Adam Levine, opens the video with “December 6, 2014- we’re going to drive across LA and hit every wedding we can- GO.” And they do just that. While the authenticity of the video is questionable, it is undoubtable that at least one of the reactions was genuine. Upon further inspection, we discovered that at least two of the wedding crashes are authentic, as the band’s appearance was described as the “ultimate surprise” by two wedding photographers.

This new presentation of facts led to my cousin describing how at her perfect wedding. She doesn’t necessarily need a world-renowned band to make her wedding special. In reality, she hopes to have someone “sweet as can be,” to keep being sweet towards her and her sons for the rest of their lives. Knowing that she is marrying that guy is blissful enough for her.

While “Sugar” isn’t one of Maroon 5’s most well known songs, it’s music video certainly makes it one of their most interesting feats. Michelle says that if you’re a hopeless romantic like her that giving it a listen can’t hurt!

Writer(s): Mike Posner, Jacob Kasher Hindlin
Copyright: Sony/ATV Tunes LLC, North Greenway Productions

lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/maroon5/sugar.html

6 thoughts on “Reflection #6- “Sugar” by Maroon 5

1. Chuck.Powell@stonybrook.edu

Laugh out loud! Two immediate thoughts. #1 if it isn’t one of their better known songs it is on track to be one soon given the rate at which it is played over the airwaves. #2 Is being a self-proclaimed hopeless romantic a good thing or a bad thing?

Infectious beat is exactly it. The lyrics aren’t exactly “rocket science” but I guess it’s good to have someone tell you fifteen different ways, ten different times in a catchy rhyming pattern that they are “into you” 🙂

2. Nicholas.Perosino@stonybrook.edu

I just love the fact that you did a Maroon 5 song. I don’t typically listen to their style of music, but I love Maroon 5 and own most of their albums. I love Adam Levine as singer and think his use of head voice vocals is awesome too. Good choice!

3. Victor.Yu@stonybrook.edu

Love this song, makes me wanna dance when the chorus hits. Good choice! Watching the video made me happy seeing everyone else happy of his appearance.

4. Justice

I enjoy listening to this song and am currently in a class that picked this song to do charting to so not to bad.

5. samba

I just loved this song, Thanks for sharing, I also read your content carefully it was perfect. Keep shining and
    inspiring us all! Also check this egg price website, which provides daily egg rates in India.