Sustainable Favorites

How To Live Minimally and Shop Consciously

Over the last handful of years, I have become incredibly mindful of my impact on the planet. My goal is to tread as lightly as possible and create minimal damage. Although most of the harm comes from mass corporations and big business, it is still good practice to be more eco-friendly on an individual level. I’ve compiled a list of things I have adopted to make my life more green; I hope you will too!

1. Stop buying crap.

One of the best ways to protect the planet (and your wallet) is to simply use what you have. Society has brought us up to be consumeristic; it has been ingrained in us to always want the latest and newest products. I’m here to tell you that last year’s sweaters still work this year, no one will notice if you wore that dress twice, and you have NO USE for more stationary/notebooks. Leisure scrolling on your favorite sites is dangerous as you’ll suddenly feel way out of trend. Stores continuously pump out products as a tactic; they know people want to stay up to date, so you will continue to buy and buy and buy. Remember to shop your own stash first, consider borrowing from family/friends and check your local community co-op before buying new.

However, sometimes you do need new stuff, and that is okay. When you are in the market for new and want to shop more sustainably, here are some things I love:

1. Clothing (Every day outfits & Gym Pieces)

Every day clothing: When shopping for clothes, look for words like natural, reclaimed/recycled, nontoxic, organic, zero waste, and fair-trade. These types of materials and practices are gentlest on the planet and the people who make them. I recommend checking out your local thrift store for unique items (I have found HIDDEN GEMS tucked into these racks. Mens section has GREAT SWEATERS). For items that are harder to find at thrift stores (or items you would rather not get from there-thrift store thongs are a NO from me, dog), try the H&M Conscious Line for affordable, high-quality pieces. I have found my best fall sweaters, jeans, and dresses in this collection; they offer student discounts and always have a sale going on. I’ll link some of my favorites below!

H&M Conscious Favs:

White puff sleeve sweater

Knit Mock Turtleneck

Mom Loose Fit Ultra High Jeans , blue denim is currently out of stock, but black is super cute as well!

Vintage Slim High Ankle Jeans

Linen Blend Dresses

Ribbed Sweatshirt & Pant Set , these are NOT THE ONES I HAVE. Mine are a cozy, Nordic-winter dream as seen in the picture above. I am devastated they are not on the website right now. I’ll keep checking the site to see if they restock, but check these out in the meantime!

Knit Pants THESE ARE IT. THESE ARE THE PERFECT. FALL. PANTS. Super thick, knit, cozy. The kind of pants you would want to wear if you were staying in one of those bubble things in Norway to see the northern lights. THESE KEEP SELLING OUT AND LEAVING THE SITE. GET THEM NOW. USE YOUR STUDENT DISCOUNT. SIGN UP FOR THEIR EMAILS BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS OFFER PERCENTAGES OFF. DO NOT CONTINUE READING UNTIL YOU BUY THESE PANTS.

Gym Apparel: I don’t know about you, but my gym outfits are either cute af OR I look like the same girl stepping out into her 5th grade gym class. Old t-shirts and shorts are great to throw on for a workout. However, when that elementary school field-day t-shirt finally takes it’s last breath, here are some gym gear brands doing it right for the consumer and for the planet:

TALA sets out to make affordable, slow-fashion gym-wear that you feel good in. I have been waiting to get my hands on a number of pieces, but the brand is so loved that they are constantly selling out (a good sign!). TALA offers all the gym essentials: leggings, sports bras, long sleeve/short sleeve tops, socks, tennis skirts, headbands, bottles, hoodies/track pants, windbreakers, underwear, etc. The brand is unisex, inclusive and representative of all body types and backgrounds (which, of course, we LOVE). I regret telling you about them because it’ll only make it harder for me to get my items, but I can’t help but share the wealth (consider me kind).

2. Kitchen/bathroom Products

Kitchen: The kitchen can be a place a lot of items go to waste. Think of everything that gets tossed in the trash: coffee grinds, napkins, food scraps, the list goes on. Here are some simple ways to be kinder in the kitchen:

• Plate what you’ll eat: I recommend only putting on your plate the food you know you can finish, and then go back for more (sometimes we put too much, feel super full, and end up throwing out the rest because it isn’t very sanitary to put back). Saving leftovers in reusable containers (my favorite is glass for easy re-heating) is a great way to make your meals last the week.
  • Ditching napkins/paper towels: Opting for reusable linen or cloths will drastically decrease the amount of paper-waste you create. Consider cutting up old t-shirts (remember that old graduation t-shirt we talked about?) or towels to use on quick spills and then toss them in the wash to reuse again!
  • Save your jars: My cabinet has become a graveyard of old sauce, peanut butter, and broth glasses. Once you finish a product, clean it out and fill the jar with hot water; this helps loosen the glue holding the sticker-label to it. Peel it off, run it through the dishwasher, and you’ve got yourself a chic and unique matcha glass. These are great for storage (homemade oat milk, big batches of chai, overnight oats) and are very multipurpose. I use these glasses to propagate plants in the windowsill or collect dried flower petals from the garden. They are great to take to bulk food stores to stock up on your favs or pack some snacks for a picnic. The planet is thankful for however you decide to use your jars!
  • Cleaning products: My go-to cleaner is homemade: a jar of white cleaning vinegar diffused with leftover orange/lemon peels. However, I always keep Seventh Generation products close by. I recently bought their dish soap and all-purpose cleaners and can’t recommend them enough. Check out their website to see all the green products they offer!
  • Biodegradable garbage bags: These green bags are made from plastarch (starch + other biodegradable materials) that have no negative impact on the environment. I will say, these aren’t *as* durable as plastic, so if your bag is super full you may want to consider doubling up! That being said, your waste should be much lower now with these tips, so I suspect you won’t have any problems!

Bathroom: Now that your wardrobe and kitchen is sorted with sustainable items, it’s time to get down to the nitty-gritty. Swapping out bathroom essentials for more planet-conscious items is easier than it seems.

• Soap: My favorite zero-waste bar of soap is from Good Soap , found at Whole Foods! Each bar is fair trade, cruelty free, and has a surprisingly long life. My favorites are the lavender, almond milk, and lemonade! LUSH Is another classic option for package-free items. I am STILL looking for a shampoo bar (I’ve heard Trader Joe’s is releasing one!) so I will keep you posted on those finds!
  • Deodorant: My favorite brands are the Seventh Generation and Native for a natural, safe product! The Native scent in coconut vanilla is *fantastic* and they just released a plastic free option made with paperboard. We love to see it!
  • Toothbrush & toothpaste: bamboo toothbrushes are a simple bathroom swap to make. Finding toothpaste with minimal packaging is a challenge and I’ve never seen any sold in stores. An option that is a bit more of an expense is the Bite Toothpaste Bits; I’ve never personally tried them, but have heard great things!
  • Menstrual Cups: If you know me and you experience a monthly cycle, I have probably talked you to death about these. Silicon menstrual cups are GAME CHANGERS. When I had my ovarian cyst surgery, I was bleeding….quite a bit. It was uncomfortable to move much, especially to change around menstrual products. I was able to keep this cup in for 8+ hours before needing to change and it was safe to sleep in. Tbh, I hate pads; my grandma once compared them to “skateboards in your underwear” and I can’t say she’s wrong. Gone are the days of late-night runs to the supermarket because you forgot to buy more tampons (oops). Brands such as DivaCup and Saalt are available at Target/Walmart. Investing in these ($30-$40) will not only save you money down the line, but will save the planet from wasted plastic!
    • However, cups ain’t it for everyone! I get that! If shopping for tampons and pads, try to look for ones without plastic applicators or packaging. Thinx offers period underwear that absorbs the same amount as 4 tampons. No matter what period products you prefer, I hope you find a green option that is comfortable for you!

I’ll continue to update this page as I try new products and methods to make my lifestyle as kind for the planet as possible!

For more sustainable goodies, check out these resources!

Package Free Shop – omg, this site has EVERYTHING! Soap, bags, condoms, kid toys, biodegradable scrunchies, beauty products, etc. I definitely see myself placing an order here soon.

Good On You– A great place to see how sustainable your favorite brands are and discover ones that are doing it best!

Give A Sh*t by Ashlee Piper – a great book to learn more about how our actions impact the planet and all the plans of action to change!

Canvas Produce/Bulk Shopping Bags