REVIEW: CSI: Cyber

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSI:_Cyber#mediaviewer/File:CSI-Cyber-Logo.jpg

This week was the beginning of a new CSI television series, CSI: Cyber. I am not a CSI fan by nature. In fact, I’m not a big fan of television dramas at all. I try to like them. I really do, but it’s hard for me to get passed mediocre acting and low budget explosions. However, I had to give CSI: Cyber a chance. After all, it promised to deliver on a theme that is near and dear to me, cyber security. Did it deliver?

To start on a positive note, I thought the technology aspects of the show were only moderately exaggerated, so kudos for that. I think it’s a positive thing that they are highlighting real world consequences of hacker activity. It is not a harmless pastime or a victimless crime. This show can potentially serve as a nationwide public awareness campaign. Hopefully, they will work in some useful reminders for viewers, like the importance of antivirus and the like, rather than simply inciting FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3AMBP36_-_Digital_Video_Baby_Monitor_MBP36.jpg

With that said, the first episode was named Kidnapping 2.0, making reference to the next generation of kidnapping that incorporates hacking into internet connected baby monitors. The “baby auction” plot may be farfetched, but the idea of some weirdo hacking into your baby monitor is one based on fact. It happens, and for that reason I advise my friends to avoid buying an internet connected baby monitor unless they really have a need for it. Even the ones without Wi-Fi are relatively easy to access, but you need to be in physical proximity to the camera.

I thought the title of the episode, Kidnapping 2.0, was appropriate because they kidnapped one hour of my life with no remorse. The casting choice is just unreal. Lil’ Bow Wow is a rhyming hacker being rehabbed by the FBI. To quote my wife, “STRIKE 1.” The action star of the show is none other than the star of Dawson’s Creek, James Vanderbeek. I never thought I would live to see Dawson kick down a door, but network television has blown my mind yet again. The “best white hat hacker” in the world is a stereotypical “heavyset” gentleman and at one point the FBI director tells his staff that they can “go home to their parents basements.” Really? LOL.

All things considered, I will probably watch this show again. Not because it was a good show, but I find the random technical references extremely entertaining. I love how the writers jam technical jargon into sentences that do not require it at all. It’s just hilarious. And I find the security talk extremely entertaining. There is nothing better than hearing acronyms explained by bad actors. Unfortunately, I doubt the mildly entertained IT crowd can keep this series afloat for very long.

In any case, if you’re looking for a mediocre drama with a mixture of technical chatter and law enforcement, you’ve found it! I will let it record on my DVR and from time to time I’ll check out an episode. More so for a laugh than a thrill, but at the end of the day it served its purpose of entertainment…for one reason or another.

Note to Producers: This show can still be saved by adding a key guest star or two. Namely, Jack Bauer or Liam Neeson (he has a very particular set of skills).

Did you catch the first episode? Tell me what you thought in the comments below.

Thanks for reading and don’t forget to subscribe.

29 thoughts on “REVIEW: CSI: Cyber

1. Baby auctions have been the plot of many a crime show, so nothing new there. Overall I was not impressed by the show and would be curious to see if you find it is accurate in terms of cyber security issues. P.S. Bow Wow “thinks better when he rhymes.” Wish Bow Wow would bow out. Epic fail.

2. I was curious about this show. good write up!

“In any case, if you’re looking for a mediocre drama with a mixture of technical chatter and law enforcement, you’ve found it!”

That sounds so very familiar…. Stop by my office sometime!

3. secolo di storia, ricca di aneddoti e innovazioni.
    Rolex ha creato la collezione Cellini nel 1968, riunendo tutti gli orologi hublot replica eleganti e tradizionali del marchio. Dal 1963 un’idea di André J. Heiniger, successore di Hans Wilsdorf, che grazie alla sua esperienza imprenditoriale ha trasformato l’azienda in un prestigioso marchio di orologi.

4. I think this is a better than average article. You make this data intriguing and locks in. You give perusers a considerable measure to consider and I welcome that sort of composing. 籠車

5. bookmarking and checking back frequently!it people processing it really is another person’s renowned company, you will never in the world of the 55 and other lavishness brands supra to uncover which.. Langtang Trek

6. You have worked admirably on this article. It’s truly meaningful and profoundly wise. You have even figured out how to make it justifiable and simple to peruse. You have some genuine composition ability. Much thanks to you. 硬筆書法班

7. Nice post. I find out something harder on diverse blogs everyday. Most commonly it is stimulating to study content off their writers and exercise something there. I’d opt to apply certain with all the content in my small weblog regardless of whether you do not mind. Natually I’ll provide you with a link on your own web weblog. Many thanks for sharing. 硬筆書法班

8. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info  英文寫作班推薦

9. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job! 佐敦補習

10. You have a great sense of writing I must say. Your post has those facts which are not accessible from anywhere else. It’s my humble request to u please keep writing such remarkable articles login siaga4d

11. I think this is definitely an amazing project here. So much good will be coming from this project. The ideas and the work behind this will pay off so much. 不鏽鋼

12. Thanks for the tips guys. They were all great. I have been having issues with being fat both mentally and physically. Thanks to you guys i have been showing improvements. Do post more. Mardi Himal Trek

13. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. PBN backlinks

14. This is a great high resolution screen which you have shared for the users. Making a website is not an easy task but managing a good website is really a hard work. As far as this website is concerned, I am very happy. Boost Traffic

15. Intriguing post. I Have Been pondering about this issue, so much obliged for posting. Really cool post.It “s truly extremely pleasant and Useful post.Thanks slotsvibes