Argumentative Essay thoughts

In this argumentative essay, my topic is to argue whether or not people should continue to develop artificial intelligence. My current stand on this topic is: yes, I believe people should continue conduct researches and improve artificial intelligence. I chose this topic because A.I. has been a controversial topic in the current society mainly because of Professor Hawking. Professor Hawking warns people that A.I. could destroy humanity. However, what really caught my attention of this topic is the Go game between AlphaGo and Lee Sedol. I was shocked by how the A.I. is able to defeat one of the best Go player in the human race. And it is at this moment, people really start to panic and fear the power of A.I..

I think this is an important topic right now because many people concern whether or not A.I. could really annihilate humanity like Professor Hawking says. After doing several researches, I conclude that A.I. still does not have the potential to become a superior “species” than human, and there are several important applications of A.I. in the modern world.

Medical field is one of the most important area where almost all strengths of an A.I. are utilized. A.I. is used to scan and analyze patient’s body and look for potential diseases. And they are also a powerful tool to analyze psychosocial online posts, which evaluates the effectiveness of online interventions.

A.I. is also a great tool to substitute human for dangerous explorations. One classic example is space exploration. No human has ever been to the Mars right now, but artificial intelligences have. NASA sent Rovers on Mars to take photos so we could see the environment on Mars. A.I. is also capable of analyzing the soil on Mars which allows us to have a better understanding of the geology on Mars.

One argument that a person who is against the development of A.I. holds is A.I. could dominate the planet. However, studies have shown that this is not really possible for the next several decades. Researches have shown that A.I. currently is still designated for one task, like AlphaGo is created only for Go. In order for A.I. to surpass human, they will need to be able to think in a multidimensional way, which will not happen shortly. Even if A.I. obtains a intelligence that is superior than human, it is not a guaranteed that they would want take us over.