Featured Student – Joanna Kim

Joanna Kim (GS5) joined our MSTP from Glendale in sunny California to do her doctoral thesis in Dr. Vincent Yang’s laboratory in the Department of Medicine. During her time at Stony Brook, she has been an active student leader and community builder. In addition to her ongoing participation in MSTP Interview Days, Joanna has been a vocal advocate for women in the MSTP, facilitating open discourse among students and administration as well as developing the website for the new Women’s group and offering mentorship to underclassmen. She has also served as President and on the board of the Stony Brook Korean Biologists group. She is currently finishing up her PhD research on intestinal stem cells. Here, she discusses her work in the Yang lab, her goals going forward, and the secrets to success in the program (spoiler: they involve strong experimental controls and Oscar-nominated films).

On research background and clinical aspirations in medical regeneration:

What was your background in research before coming to Stony Brook?

I did about 3 years of research in the Raz lab at UC San Diego (combined BS/MS program). First, I participated in a project that studied how type I interferons affect Foxp3 expression in regulatory T cells in mouse colitis model. Then I worked on my master’s thesis, studying the function of STAT3 in suppressing endothelial to mesenchymal transition in colon adenoma. After graduation, I spent 2 years assisting clinical studies on efficacies of surgical techniques.

It sounds like a common trend throughout your predoctoral experiences was gastrointestinal research. How did you transition into your current work in stem cells?

I had a fun first rotation in Dr. Patrick Hearing’s lab, studying the process of DNA packaging in adenovirus in hopes of finding ways to utilize adenovirus for gene therapy. While the project was very interesting, I had to complete a second rotation. Ping He, one year ahead of me in MSTP, had just committed to Dr. Yang’s group and told me about some of the research projects in the lab. Having had a GI research background, I was immediately attracted to the lab.

Could you tell us more about your current project? How do you see it being useful to your career going forward?

My study focuses on understanding the molecular mechanisms involved in regulation and maintenance of intestinal stem cell functions. We determined that Krüppel-like factor 5 (KLF5) is a critical factor for maintaining stem cell functions. We are curious to understand the mechanisms by which KLF5 carries out this function. Some questions that follow: which signaling pathways or molecular partners interact with KLF5? How can we target KLF5 expression or function?

If we can control how stem cells behave, then we may be able to modulate their function during disease states, which is the basis of regenerative medicine. Addressing this issue is particularly important, as the intestinal tract is vulnerable to current cancer treatments, and the number of patients suffering from side effects of cancer treatments will grow with a progressive increase in cancer survival rate. Needless to say, it will also be beneficial to patients with inflammatory bowel diseases by regenerating the damaged epithelium.

Stem cell research is an exciting and new field for me. In my mind, I visually associate stem cell research with sprouts in the spring season, full of potential and hope. I won’t know the exact medical field I will pursue before my clinical rotation, but I will definitely pursue a field where regenerative medicine can play an important role.  

What is something you think non-experts often misunderstand about stem cells or stem cell research?

I think the concept of adult stem cells should be better publicized. Adult stem cells are found in specific tissues and possess the potential to be used in tissue regeneration. Compared to pluripotent embryonic stem cells, adult stem cells are more differentiated towards tissue-specific lineages and behave much better in their niche. In tissues where stem cell populations are not identified or well-studied, we may use induced pluripotent stem cells to direct them to differentiate towards lineages of interest.

What clinical specialties are you considering at the moment?

I hope to get into clinical specialties where I can find interesting research questions. I am considering Gastroenterology, since GI is my first love. I am also interested in Pathology for the ease of doing research while practicing in clinic (with access to specimen and amount of time in laboratory), as well as Ophthalmology for the ample potential in regenerative medicine.

On being an MSTP trainee:
Who are some of your major influences and role models in research, physician or scientist? What do you admire about them or their work?

While it was Marie Curie who first got me interested in science when I was very young, Sir Alexander Fleming made me excited about biomedical research. He was a physician-scientist who discovered penicillin and lysozymes. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1945 for his discoveries and contributions in saving countless lives during World War II.

History has it that his discoveries of lysozymes and penicillin were purely accidental. But without his interaction with infected patients on battlefield, keen observation, scientific curiosity, and perseverance, the isolation of penicillin would not have been possible.

My role model is my advisor and physician scientist Dr. Vincent Yang. He currently serves as Chair of Medicine here at Stony Brook, and I can only imagine how busy his schedule must be. Yet, he is still up-to-date on the latest publications in the field (often more so than his graduate student!) and spends time discussing research and progress with each member of the lab. During our discussions, Dr. Yang trains me to think about the clinical significance of my research. I feel very fortunate to have Dr. Yang as my research advisor and mentor.

What are three traits or habits of yours that have helped you succeed in the lab?

These are acquired habits that I wish I knew from the start.

1. Make sure to include all adequate controls for all your experiments.
  2. Be confident, but don’t be overconfident in your experiments. You may become more disappointed when your experiments don’t work out or become biased with the results. Either is toxic to your work.
  3. Work as a team.

What do you think is the most underrated resource for MSTPs at Stony Brook?

MSTP students generally feel the pressure to finish their research, and thus try to minimize course requirements. Stony Brook University offers advanced courses in other fields, such as bioinformatics and statistics, that MSTP students may find useful. I took Big Data in Biology (MCB 555), which broadly covers concepts in DNA and RNA sequencing techniques and tools for sequencing data analysis. I found the course very practical in analyzing my own RNA sequencing data. Outside Stony Brook University, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory offers courses and meetings on specific topics that students may find useful.

Science research and PhDs generally require resilience and persistence. What extracurricular activities or practices help you persist through the rough patches?

I watch a lot of movies. My major hobby is to watch Oscar-nominated movies. I also find it very important to surround myself with people who are supportive and encouraging. It has been especially helpful to find friends in similar fields who can understand what I am going through. On that note, I am glad that I joined the Stony Brook MSTP to meet wonderful mentors, friends, and colleagues in a supportive environment (or niche!).