Alyson Lowell

Where did you go to school?

I completed my undergraduate work at the University of Maine in the School of Marine Sciences. During my undergraduate, I concentrated in Marine Biology and Chemistry. I was lucky to complete several internships including an NIH INBRE Fellowship and an NSF REU Fellowship. I was also an intern in Dr. Bob Steneck’s laboratory for marine ecology and Dr. Rebecca Van Beneden’s lab for marine ecotoxicology.

What is your area of research?

I study ocean acidification and seagrasses. Specifically, I study how seagrass photosynthesis buffers acidification in coastal environments.

Who or what inspired you to become involved in marine science?

My dad! My dad began his career as a marine geologist. As a child, he took me to the beaches along the coast of Maine and showed me all the critters hiding in tidal pools. I have very fond memories of those days and it certainly instilled a love of the ocean.

What qualities do you think are important in order to become a scientist?

Persistence, patience and a drop of fearlessness. As an experimentalist, it can be very difficult to have experiment after experiment fail or generate insignificant results. I think it takes a lot of patience with yourself to stay focused at the task at hand and not get too frustrated. It’s important to remember that no time is wasted in the pursuit of something you deem worthy.

Why is your research topic important?

Ocean acidification is restructuring our coastal habitats and it is important to implement strategies for increased coastal resilience. Seagrass restoration will prove vital to our future oceans as we seek to find ways to naturally mitigate changes in carbonate chemistry.

What will you be bringing with you to the “meet with an Oceanographer” day?

Scallop shells that have been grown in seagrass patches vs. relatively sandy sites. You can see differences in shape and structure of the scallops that are reared in a more CO2 friendly environment.

What is the best advice you have for people interested in becoming involved in your field of research or in marine sciences?

Persistence and a healthy dose of humor!  Also, I think it’s important to explore your interests and to diversity your experience as much as possible! Having a broad sense of how science is conducted will become invaluable as you progress through your career!

What is your favorite ocean organism?

A mola mola! It’s always so special when you see them!

Want to learn more about Alyson? (copy link)