Stephen Tettelbach

December 14, 2019 – Seashells by the Seashore

Steve Tettelbach, Cornell Cooperative Extension. Seashells, which are inhabited by the mollusks that make them, display an amazing diversity of form and coloration. See shells from Long Island and from around the world. Learn where mollusks live, what they eat, how they make their shells and how they grow.

Where did you go to school?

High School: Amity Regional HS, Woodbridge, CT

College: University of Miami

Master’s Degree: University of Washington

Ph.D. degree: University of Connecticut

What is your area of research?

Molluscan Ecology, Fisheries, and Aquaculture; Bay Scallop Stock Restoration; Predator-Prey Interactions; Molluscan Taxonomy

Who or what inspired you to become involved in marine science?

I started collecting shells when I was 5 years old. I got into this in a serious way after my grandmother brought home a box of shells from Florida and my parents got me a field guide. By the time I was 8, I knew I wanted to study mollusks and become a marine biologist. Watching ‘Sea Hunt’ and Jacques Cousteau specials on TV made me dream of becoming a Scuba diver – which has been a big part of the work I do as a marine scientist.

What qualities do you think are important in order to become a scientist?

Curiosity about Nature and passion for what you work on. Hard work. Discipline. Perseverance.

Why is your research topic important? Most of the research that my team has done has practical applications – most notably, helping rebuild Long Island scallop and clam populations. This is important for ecological as well as economic reasons.

What will you be bringing with you to the “meet with an Oceanographer” day?

I will be bringing a lot of shells that I have collected in Long Island waters and from around the world.

What is the best advice you have for people interested in becoming involved in your field of research or in marine sciences? Take some classes in biology/marine science. Do some volunteer work to see if this is right for you. If you decide that you want to work in the field of marine science, then take advantage of opportunities that arise and work hard.

What is your favorite ocean organism?

The bay scallop, the animal I have spent over 40 years studying.

But other mollusks, manta rays and angelfish are awesome too!

Want to learn more about Steve ?? Follow the link

http://sites.google.com/site/stephentettelbach