Honors Project Motivation

Honors Project Motivation

In 2017, my home country South Korea, the film camera trend has begun. For me, a film camera was my mother’s period, but after this trend, I want to try taking a picture with a film camera. Therefore, I bought a disposal film camera and took some pictures. I did not know how to use a film camera, so I just pushed the shutter. My first film was almost black because I never had experience with the film, so I took pictures like a digital camera. After I got the first film pictures, I studied about film camera, and I bought my first film camera. I was a cheap one, I did not want to waste my money. I thought I would get tired of it quickly. However, I was not. I was immediately immersed in the sensibilities of not being able to check the status of the picture. I usually focus on daily life routine, so I take many pictures that interpret things that are easily found in everyday life differently. ‘Light’ is a part of my life as it is essential to me, and no one thinks special, so I put the light on the film.

Light is indispensable to human. Therefore, human life is mostly connected to light. In the past, all activities continued during the time the sun was up, but after the light was discovered, activity restrictions were removed, and night and day distinctions were removed. However, after the light was discovered, humans began to use it for themselves. At the same time, I began to lose interest in natural light. As the scope of indoor activities expanded, the number of outdoor activities decreased dramatically, and most of the time was spent indoors. Is that why? Humans have begun to bring everything into their radius of action. Especially, they wanted everything in nature to be next to them. At the same time, the desire for natural light, sunlight, grew bigger and bigger. However, sunlight has never abandoned humans. It was always on the side of humans, and it was just holding everyone together. Digital Photographic: Light in Analog is a film about how much nature, especially light, is affecting their lives.