Lessons

This semester I learned…

• That though college is difficult and stressful at times, no one is really out to get you. There are so many opportunities for extra help and so many people in general that are just happy to give their assistance. If you look for help, you’ll find it. And not only that, but you have to help yourself too. Give yourself a break. Don’t stress out too bad and just know that if you gave it your all, then there’s nothing more you can do.
  • Just because you’re in a large lecture class, doesn’t mean that the professor will never know your name and that you’re just a face in a sea of people. It helps to go up to them. Make them remember you and ask questions. At first I was almost afraid to ask the professor questions and would wait until recitation or ask someone in the class. Then I realized the professors are here for us and most of them actually do care and want you to pass.
  • Use every resource! At orientation they would always say “do this it’s free” and then would follow up with “well technically you are paying for it” (with tuition) but this is so true. We pay to go here, we chose to go here so why not use everything given to us? Just by going to the help rooms and signing up for a tutor and visiting office hours, I boosted my confidence in the classes I was struggling with. The same goes for the Rec Center and the Library. We really need to use and just try everything offered here.
  • Don’t underestimate yourself. After the first round of midterms, I was seriously debating on dropping down to an easier physics class. I spoke to an advisor and got all the paperwork and then I thought to myself: “are you really gonna give up just like that?” I mean it wasn’t like I did horrible on the first midterm, just not as well as I would’ve liked. I made the ultimate decision to stay in the physics I was in and scored better than 60% of the students taking that course on the second midterm. You should always believe in yourself and when something gets overwhelming, ask for help, see your options, but remember that hardwork will always be rewarded and that if you put limits on yourself, you’ll never find out what you’re truly capable of.