SBU- The First Semester

For me, my experience with Stony Brook University started my junior year of high school. Throughout my entire schooling career I had always loved learning, speaking, and reading Spanish. Junior year, Stony Brook provided a program to my high school to take college level spanish and receive college credits at a discounted rate. Of course I would apply. After paying for the course, we were taken to the campus to receive our official Stony Brook ID cards which was already exciting as only a junior in high school; at the time it felt very special. Upon arriving to campus I was stunned by the size of it. We were taken for a tour and saw the Student Activities Center, the Rec Center, and the Library. Walking through each building, seeing all of the students studying together and collorborating I just knew that Stony Brook was where I wanted to be.

Come senior year, Stony Brook was the only school I sent an application to- my decision had already been made. When I received my acceptance I almost wasn’t surprised even though I’d been so nervous waiting for the letter. I knew it was predetermined that I would be a Seawolf.

Being a commuter, the first week was a little bit depressing. Seeing that so many people had already made friends through roommates or moving in day or just being on campus all the time I felt discouraged. With everyone walking together, different languages filling my ears from every angle, it was as if I had entered a new universe that I wasn’t sure if I belonged in. I saw a few familiar faces from high school and orientation which boosted my confidence, but I really wanted to meet new people and truly get the “college experience.”

I think the first break through was in my Leadership and Service class. Everyone was smiling, the instructor was funny, engaging, and really made the class get involved. I’ve made a lot of friends in that class and after that it seemed as though I just kept meeting people. The thing that we all need to understand is that even though we may have different interests or different personalities, we’re pretty much all going through the same struggles with classes and studying and so on. Actually, I feel like studying has been the main connection between myself and the people I’ve befriended here. Connecting in the help rooms or meeting for study groups has actually been really fun and has allowed me to meet a lot of new people. Another place is the Commuter Lounge. Being a commuter I obviously have spent my fair share of time in the lounge and after seeing people all the time you just get to talking and within a few weeks I was remembering peoples’ names, what classes I have with them and so on. I feel like I have a pretty outgoing personality which helps me make new friends, but for others the school also offers so many other opportunities to meet people with the same interests and just great people in general. Even being outgoing as I am, I wish I had gotten more involved in these things and definitely plan on doing so next semester.

Throughout my first semester at Stony Brook, I’ve learned that being a Seawolf isn’t about how long you’re on campus or how many people you know even. It’s about how you get involved and how you feel connected to the university. Though I didn’t have time to go to many meetings, I plan on attending many more clubs next semester and really getting involved in all of the great things that are going on around campus. I really am proud to be a Seawolf.