Where is gmail’s Mark as Unread?

There has been an unannounced change that I think would annoy the community.

Gmail’s Mark as Unread as been moved out of the 3-dot top menu:

It’s not there when you check off a message in your inbox:

It still is available when you are reading a message, under the 3-dots menu on the right, but this is not helpful from your inbox!:

Here it is!

You can also right click on a message from your inbox:

29 thoughts on “Where is gmail’s Mark as Unread?

1. Thank you for posting this, Nichole. Very helpful. An unnecessary, annoying and, as you said, unannounced change by Gmail.

• Agreed! Was there a NEED to change it? Millions of us have been doing it one way for YEARS and now we have to retrain ourselves. Bad move.

• …moreover, you are likely to be in mouse mode. to have to switch to keyboard is annoying in the extreme. i would love to know the rationale for such changes. who thinks, first making a change is warranted, and why.

2. Thanks! I was too busy being irritated with the change to actually hover over the menu buttons and find out where it had moved!

3. of course therez always . but the problem is that having it from the inbox is useless since one doesnt know if you want it “unread”. how long will it take to remember thatz mau is no longer available from the dreaded three dots?

4. Thanks for this! I thought I was losing my marble not finding the usual option. Is there a way to bulk Mark as Read/Unread from the Inbox anymore?

• …maybe if you were to select all those you wish to mark as read/unread, and then enter that would act as a bulk action. P.S. I never tried it–use at your risk.
      but what i hate most about this, seemingly unnecessary change, is that this, and all changes are never announced. Is it shame?

• right you are. dont know if that envelope was always there, and just looking at the envelope it would seem difficult to interpret or intuit it as “mau”. another inconsistency: the three dots have mau, but not the other options represented by icons. really, clicking on the icon is faster and easier. if only they had told me. my problem: google thinks im brighter than i am.

5. Wow, what a HORRIBLE change! I hope they will reinstate this change. Why in the world would they do that? I get 100’s of emails and this is the only feature to quickly filter out the stuff i want to come back to but don’t want to crowd the important stuff. Thank you for finding out and sharing!

6. super annoying..
    After reading this thread I now I know where the button, so there is no problem, but why remove it form the three dots.. there are plenty of people that don’t adapt to change well and its not like the menu was crowded.. seems like a move that can only piss people off

7. Why oh why do they make changes like this? So immensely irritating. Thank you, Nichole, for finding the answers for us. If anyone figures out how to bulk ‘mark as unread’, please post your solution here as well.

8. Looks to me that mark as unread is back. the only thing more annoying to bringing back a feature without notice, is taking it away without notice. google is getting as annoying as ms. google worst: phone service rings three times only, when i complained that im handicapped and cannot get to a call that quickly, the response was “sorry if you dont like our service.”

9. This was frustrating because I have the keyboard shortcuts turned on and typically I would simply hit the period and then the down button and enter to mark a message as unread. I use it often to make sure I come back to a message that needs action. Now when I press the period and down button and enter I mark a message as unimportant! That’s definitely not what I want!

Thankfully there is another keyboard shortcut that works – Shift-U will mark a message as unread. But I’m surprised Google didn’t notify anyone of this change!

10. Brilliant – I was thinking it would be way easier if they moved it to an icon but was too stupid to see they had actually done that. Woo hoo ๐Ÿ™‚