Needle a fresh new look for Fall?

Sweater weather is in full swing for the semester, Spencer Jarrad, a 3rd-year student and transfer from San Diego City College, has been hard at work in preparation. Instead of going shopping for new clothes this season, Spencer goes shopping for fabric.

“I volunteered at the San Diego Public Library. I was bored over the summer while waiting to move, and I wanted to learn all the machines. I know it’s not really trendy like 3D printers and laser cutters.”

A staff member using the Innovation Lab’s sewing machine.

Spencer had no previous background in sewing or making clothing in any way. An accountant before returning back to school, Spencer decided it was time he took the particular style he liked into his own hands. “I wanted to stand out,” he said, “I like math, so it made sense.”

Spencer found iCREATE before he transferred to Stony Brook, by looking up makerspaces before he came, stumbling across the iCREATE Facebook page and Instagram. Upon finding the Innovation Lab here, he found that the Brother sewing machines here was of a similar model to what he used and was familiar with.

With his bike on campus, Spencer would either order off of Etsy online, or bike to JoAnn’s, a fabric and craft shop within a 30 minute trip, and buy fabric by the yard. “The clearance could range from $7 to $20 per yard, and I have picked up silk fabric and geometric prints. I use about 1.5 yards to make a long-sleeve shirt.”

Spencer with one of his geometric print shirts.

Spencer also clarifies that those were for his nicer shirts. “T-shirts usually cost me only around $5-$10 to make, and it’s extremely cost effective considering how nice they turn out. I don’t want anyone thinking sewing is out of reach skill-wise or cost-wise in any capacity.”

After obtaining the fabric, he uses a template (originally from https://mellysews.com/ – though now he creates him own)  that contains all the pieces of the shirt. He follows the template, tracing it before he cuts it out. As the last step, Spencer then sews each piece together on the sewing machine. So far, Spencer has made shirts, sweaters, and shorts.

Picture Credit: Spencer Jarrad
An assortment of the shirts he has made so far.

“I only made one pair of shorts so far. It didn’t fit. I didn’t realize, but measurements in the store [for your size] and actual measurements are different. A size 32 is actually 36 inches. I spent 6 hours on making the first pair the first time, and because it didn’t fit, I spent another 6 [hours] to make it again.”

This print was from a textbook – Spencer manipulated and altered it to fit his shirt design.

On top of making his own clothing, he also heat transfers his own prints onto clothing, pulling designs from textbooks, and other images he likes. On one shirt, he printed a print from a textbook diagram. On another, he got a custom print (through spoonflower.com) on a piece of fabric to get calculator on it.

“I want to eventually make peacoats and overcoats, and elevate my clothing to a level of couture.”